A pattern you thought you didn't collect...

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A pattern you thought you didn't collect...

Post by toomanyknives »

Anyone else have a pattern that they say, "nah, I don't collect those". Then one day you look up and it appears that you actually do collect them.
Apparently with me it's the Trapper, and Mini Trapper... :wink:
IMG_1637 (2).JPG
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A pattern you thought you didn't collect...

Post by glennbad »

For me it was Barlows. I didn't really care for them, but what do you know, I had a handful of them. Now I love them!

See the smaller drawer in this pic. Now I think I have twice as many... ::facepalm::
cs3.jpg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

glennbad wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:07 pm For me it was Barlows. I didn't really care for them, but what do you know, I had a handful of them. Now I love them!

See the smaller drawer in this pic. Now I think I have twice as many... ::facepalm::

cs3.jpg
I love A good Barlow, Glenn! You have some nice ones! ::tu::
DocZ2006
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DocZ2006 »

glennbad wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:07 pm For me it was Barlows. I didn't really care for them, but what do you know, I had a handful of them. Now I love them!

Definitely Barlows for me. Unlike glennbad, I haven't gotten to the point of loving them, but I do find myself with more and more of them.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

What does it take to make a "collection"? Can you (like you guys) accidentally start a collection or can you have (just for arguments sake, let's say) a dozen or more of a certain pattern/color/blade profile/brand and not call it a collection? Just curious. I guess what I'm asking is does intent factor into it?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have never collected electrician knives, but, oddly, I seem to have four of them, all pre-war, non-GI (non TL-29). A Cattaraugus, An Ulster and two Schrade CutCos. Very pretty ones. So, they are not eggs so they are not a clutch, not crows, so not a murder, not quail so not a covey, more than two so not a bevy. Hmmm... perhaps a collection? In THE OLD MAN AND THE BOY, Robert Ruark would have called them a "bait."
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

toomanyknives wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:51 pm Anyone else have a pattern that they say, "nah, I don't collect those". Then one day you look up and it appears that you actually do collect them.
Apparently with me it's the Trapper, and Mini Trapper... :wink: IMG_1637 (2).JPG
Very nice group Kerry! ::tu:: For me it's stilettos, but I'm fully aware of my obsession for them! 8)
8)
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 pm What does it take to make a "collection"? Can you (like you guys) accidentally start a collection or can you have (just for arguments sake, let's say) a dozen or more of a certain pattern/color/blade profile/brand and not call it a collection? Just curious. I guess what I'm asking is does intent factor into it?
Jerry, I kind of look at a "collection" as say 3 or 4 or more of at particular pattern that I intentionally go after. With the trappers, I never really went after them specifically, but would pick one up every so often, and before I knew it, I had a dozen. So, now I guess I have a "collection" of Trappers that I never intended to have. I guess my entire collection is made up of sub-groups, like patterns, brands, handle colors, handle types, and so on. You get it, any excuse to buy another knife!! :wink:
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

tongueriver wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:48 pm I have never collected electrician knives, but, oddly, I seem to have four of them, all pre-war, non-GI (non TL-29). A Cattaraugus, An Ulster and two Schrade CutCos. Very pretty ones. So, they are not eggs so they are not a clutch, not crows, so not a murder, not quail so not a covey, more than two so not a bevy. Hmmm... perhaps a collection? In THE OLD MAN AND THE BOY, Robert Ruark would have called them a "bait."
I'm with you there Tongueriver. I am the same way with TL-29's and Scout knives. They just keep multiplying some how! :D
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:50 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:51 pm Anyone else have a pattern that they say, "nah, I don't collect those". Then one day you look up and it appears that you actually do collect them.
Apparently with me it's the Trapper, and Mini Trapper... :wink: IMG_1637 (2).JPG
Very nice group Kerry! ::tu:: For me it's stilettos, but I'm fully aware of my obsession for them! 8)
Now Marco, I don't think it counts when you have 40 of something. At that point, I think you're buying them on purpose!! :D Hope you're doing well my friend. Let's wish for a great year ahead, full of new knives!!
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Nice knives being shown! ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

toomanyknives wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 pm
Madmarco wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:50 pm
Now Marco, I don't think it counts when you have 40 of something. At that point, I think you're buying them on purpose!! :D Hope you're doing well my friend. Let's wish for a great year ahead, full of new knives!!
Amen Kerry, ::pray:: amen! 8)
8)
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I know what you mean, without even trying I have accumulated several fishing knives and daddy barrows. I think most of them have been given to me by various people.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:19 am I know what you mean, without even trying I have accumulated several fishing knives and daddy barrows. I think most of them have been given to me by various people.
Yep, I know that feeling, OC. But, I never turn down a free knife! :D
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

msteele6 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:53 pm Nice knives being shown!
Seconded.

It remains to be seen if there are any patterns I don't seek out but seem to wind up with anyway. However, there are a few I can see myself actively seeking out.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

There’s knives bought for collecting, knives bought for using, and knives that just get accumulated. I do collect a few patterns that I like the looks of but don’t use - Congress and Barlow come to mind. I buy lots of knives that I envision a use for and like to have an ample supply of (Medium Stockman and Jackknives come to mind). I accumulate Trappers - don’t really care to carry or use them and don’t really get awestruck by the look - however they are the majority of commemorative knives and I do like some of the decorations that only come on Trappers (my OIF Knife, my NRA knife, my ARNG knife, etc.). OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Old Hunter wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:08 am There’s knives bought for collecting, knives bought for using, and knives that just get accumulated. I do collect a few patterns that I like the looks of but don’t use - Congress and Barlow come to mind. I buy lots of knives that I envision a use for and like to have an ample supply of (Medium Stockman and Jackknives come to mind). I accumulate Trappers - don’t really care to carry or use them and don’t really get awestruck by the look - however they are the majority of commemorative knives and I do like some of the decorations that only come on Trappers (my OIF Knife, my NRA knife, my ARNG knife, etc.). OH
Your collection sounds a lot like mine, OH. Although, I will carry a medium or small Congress from time to time...
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

What can I say; I am a magpie.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

tongueriver wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:27 pm What can I say; I am a magpie.
:D
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Old Hunter wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:08 am There’s knives bought for collecting, knives bought for using, and knives that just get accumulated.
Much the same here. In my case, the display pieces far outnumber the carriers.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I do not collect canoes or toothpicks. However, there was the Queen made Robeson Canoe with pretty stag that my modest bid won and the 3 blade stag Queen Canoe that was reasonably priced among a sea over over priced guns at a gun show. Also, since I love large stockmans not owning a sample of Case's Gunboat Canoe which is a large stockman did not make since. It was a low priority for years until a low bid bought one. There also was the set of 3 GEC Toothpicks offered on a gun forum while I only still knew enough about GEC to recognize them as a good at $180 ($60 each). Then came a couple of Queen made large Texas Toothpicks that unexpectedly low bids bought. Knife patterns that I really do collect I've mostly wound up paying high prices for. Not collecting patterns gives me the patience needed to only buy them when the price is right.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:22 pm I do not collect canoes or toothpicks. However, there was the Queen made Robeson Canoe with pretty stag that my modest bid won and the 3 blade stag Queen Canoe that was reasonably priced among a sea over over priced guns at a gun show. Also, since I love large stockmans not owning a sample of Case's Gunboat Canoe which is a large stockman did not make since. It was a low priority for years until a low bid bought one. There also was the set of 3 GEC Toothpicks offered on a gun forum while I only still knew enough about GEC to recognize them as a good at $180 ($60 each). Then came a couple of Queen made large Texas Toothpicks that unexpectedly low bids bought. Knife patterns that I really do collect I've mostly wound up paying high prices for. Not collecting patterns gives me the patience needed to only buy them when the price is right.
Agreed. Some of the best deals I get are on the ones I don't collect! So, I just HAVE to buy them!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Slightly off the original topic of the thread, but there is something that after seeing them posted in different threads have grown on me and got my interest. Easy Open Notch slip joints never did it for me, now i think i may have a new addiction. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: I did not like then at first, now i have to get me one. ::uc:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

cudgee wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:01 am Slightly off the original topic of the thread, but there is something that after seeing them posted in different threads have grown on me and got my interest. Easy Open Notch slip joints never did it for me, now i think i may have a new addiction. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: I did not like then at first, now i have to get me one. ::uc:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: :lol: :lol: :lol:
One? :lol:
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

tongueriver wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:08 am
cudgee wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:01 am Slightly off the original topic of the thread, but there is something that after seeing them posted in different threads have grown on me and got my interest. Easy Open Notch slip joints never did it for me, now i think i may have a new addiction. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: I did not like then at first, now i have to get me one. ::uc:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: :lol: :lol: :lol:
One? :lol:
Well actually, it is just one MORE added to the list. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Knife Discussion”