Spiffing up a white Swiss Army knife

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Dan In MI

Spiffing up a white Swiss Army knife

Post by Dan In MI »

This white Victorinox Classic SD recently came to me in a lot of 10. For a per-unit price of $2.22, it's a decent carrier. However, the white scales have seen their better days, and I'd like to improve the knifes looks. Is there a practical way to return the scales to the appearance they had when new? If not, I'll have to start casting around for replacement scales.

[attachment=1]20210406_144134.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]20210406_144116.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20210406_144134.jpg
20210406_144116.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Spiffing up a white Swiss Army knife

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:39 pm This white Victorinox Classic SD recently came to me in a lot of 10. For a per-unit price of $2.22, it's a decent carrier. However, the white scales have seen their better days, and I'd like to improve the knifes looks. Is there a practical way to return the scales to the appearance they had when new? If not, I'll have to start casting around for replacement scales.

20210406_144134.jpg

20210406_144116.jpg
If you mean just to brighten them up and remove some minor scratches, I have used either Flitz or Simichrome Polish on the plastic with good results. Don't get too wild with the polish though or it will remove the Swiss Cross logo.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Polish could well brighten them up and remove light scratches, but I am more concerned about the pinkish crud around the edges. What, if anything, might get rid of that?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

That "pinkish crud" may be caused by exposure to UV light or possibly by hand oils and such. It may only be microns deep. If so, a light rub with some 0000 steel wool may remove it. It goes without saying you need to be careful, but if your alternative is to replace the scales what do you have to lose? Then, I would polish with Simichrome as suggested, or I have a special compound for my buffing wheel that is meant for plastics, I would give it a go with that.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:02 am Polish could well brighten them up and remove light scratches, but I am more concerned about the pinkish crud around the edges. What, if anything, might get rid of that?
That must be corrosion of the aluminum liners. The polish will do that too if it is not real bad and pitted.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I have some steel wool laying around, so if it's 0000, I'll give that a go. I'll take a better look at the liners; I'm really hoping they're not corroded.

The real issue with scale replacement is that a set of 58mm scales costs dadgummed near as much as a Classic SD! Yet all the same, I see no point in tossing any knife that is still functional.

Thank you for the help, gentlemen!
USN 2000-2006
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

You can always replace the scales with something different, rather than the factory scales.

Here is a link that might give you some good ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=67936&p=844427&hilit=Swiss#p844427
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I've seen titanium and carbon fiber scales for Swiss Army knives, but I never considered bone. The end result looks very nice. Maybe I'll pick up some beaters and give them that treatment (provided I can find someone to make the scales for me, as I doubt I have the skills to make them myself).
USN 2000-2006

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”