Tang stamp id help

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Nifenoworky

Tang stamp id help

Post by Nifenoworky »

Any more experienced collectors here know what manufacturer used this tang stamp? I can not seem to identify this knife. May be something cool... May be junk. Any input would be appreciated.
Okie bill
Nifenoworky

Re: Tang stamp id help

Post by Nifenoworky »

Tang stamp
Tang stamp
Okie bill
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Welcome to AAPK!

It would be good to have a picture of the knife and the closed size. Looks like it could be custom made but hard to tell from the one picture.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Nifenoworky

Post by Nifenoworky »

Attachments
Okie bill
Nifenoworky

Post by Nifenoworky »

There are no other markings besides the one pictured.
Okie bill
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Hope you don’t mind, a little photo editing does wonders. Maybe someone will recognize this.

Ken
Attachments
3103706A-A420-470D-A1AE-A784649BAD1E.jpeg
3103706A-A420-470D-A1AE-A784649BAD1E.jpeg (17.51 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Nifenoworky

Post by Nifenoworky »

Sorry I'm not very tech savvy lol
Okie bill
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looks like a citrus knife with the long frame and thin blades. Can't say that I've seen the stamp before so a mystery to me. Frame reminds me of a Schrade Walden SS700.
Attachments
SS700.jpg

Wayne

Nifenoworky

Post by Nifenoworky »

Well that's a start 😃 the only tang stamp I've found that's similar is diamond k knives out of stigler Oklahoma but it's not exact.
Okie bill
ea42

Post by ea42 »

That K looks a lot like the old Kinfolks K, but theirs was in a circle rather than a diamond.

Eric
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I am not familiar with the tang stamp.
It is hard to tell with the low-resolution pictures, but it looks like the knife handles are not uniform in thickness. If you have the knife sitting on the springs and are looking down at it, I mean, is it thicker in the center than near the bolsters? If so, it may be made in Taiwan or China. I have seen quite a few "no-name" brand knives from that region that are built that way: With swelled center-thickness to the handles, of wide-grained wood.
I am quite possibly wrong, but I believe that it is an Inexpensive import, possibly with a store-brand tang stamp.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Nifenoworky

Post by Nifenoworky »

I was afraid of the same thing reverand. I haven't purchased it yet but i was intrigued by it and thought it best to do a little research before pulling the trigger.
Okie bill
just bob

Post by just bob »

You know what they say about opinions and here's mine. I don't think it is a mass produced imported knife. There are droves of those and their tang stamps are easy to ID. Maybe Italy or from another country with a reputation for inferior products and exported in lesser quantity, but not China or Pakistan. Also consider back when the knife making craze was growing in the 1980's and 90's these fancy handle materials just weren't available. I have a couple of knives from that era made by local knife maker Don Davis who was a machinist at the Alcoa factory in Richmond, Indiana. He used pakkawood on most of his knives and people marveled at his skill. Like Dale once said "handles are where you find them" and back then you couldn't order this fancy material and if you couldn't make your own then you improvised. Today his work is comparable to a knife made in Pakistan. That's just how fast the art has evolved. I'd keep looking. A lot of smart people oh here. I don't have an answer.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Nifenoworky

Post by Nifenoworky »

Thanks for your input Bob hopefully someone will know something about it. In the meantime here is my latest score.
Old cutter 531 stag barlow
Old cutter 531 stag barlow
Made By Robert Anthony paolantonio with colonial knife company
Made By Robert Anthony paolantonio with colonial knife company
Okie bill
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Nifenoworky wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:48 am Thanks for your input Bob hopefully someone will know something about it. In the meantime here is my latest score.IMG_20210227_162749171.jpgIMG_20210227_162442116.jpg
Very nice!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I recognize the logo from a knife I have. I think this might be a Utica Kutmaster. They make 2-3 different IMPORTED versions of the melon tester pattern for use by various companies to stick their logo on. Seems they have a huge catalog of inexpensive knives usually made in China for this purpose.

Compare this logo on a boxed Caterpillar branded knife (which Utica makes, and I have but didn't have handy) to the tang stamp. Note how it's a diamond, with a "K" with a bottom leg that resembles a clip-point knife blade that is cutting through the diamond at the bottom.
s-l1600CATLBK.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nifenoworky wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:48 am Thanks for your input Bob hopefully someone will know something about it. In the meantime here is my latest score.IMG_20210227_162749171.jpgIMG_20210227_162442116.jpg
NIce! About a month ago, I could have gotten one of those really cheap. I didn't, and I'm kicking myself over it.
just bob

Post by just bob »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:08 am I recognize the logo from a knife I have. I think this might be a Utica Kutmaster. They make 2-3 different IMPORTED versions of the melon tester pattern for use by various companies to stick their logo on. Seems they have a huge catalog of inexpensive knives usually made in China for this purpose.

Compare this logo on a boxed Caterpillar branded knife (which Utica makes, and I have but didn't have handy) to the tang stamp. Note how it's a diamond, with a "K" with a bottom leg that resembles a clip-point knife blade that is cutting through the diamond at the bottom.

s-l1600CATLBK.jpg

Amazing! Good job.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:08 am I recognize the logo from a knife I have. I think this might be a Utica Kutmaster. They make 2-3 different IMPORTED versions of the melon tester pattern for use by various companies to stick their logo on. Seems they have a huge catalog of inexpensive knives usually made in China for this purpose.

s-l1600CATLBK.jpg
Looks like you nailed it cody!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Well done Cody!

Wayne

ea42

Post by ea42 »

Wow, good sleuthing Cody! ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”