Looking for information

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
SunnyDay

Looking for information

Post by SunnyDay »

This knife belonged to my great great grandfather. I think it says E.W. Disston & Sons on it. I know there was a Disston and sons saw company but I found no mention of knives. It’s obviously not in good shape. I’m just curious and would appreciate any information anyone would have on it. Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong spot! Thank-you.
Attachments
6DB43E73-FAFB-4388-AA30-396BEB394947.jpeg
27C27941-E142-4EED-84CE-2EE34C889C1C.jpeg
63FE37CB-807C-40C9-A378-5710C615CE02.jpeg
knife7knut

Re: Looking for information

Post by knife7knut »

Welcome to the forums! Your knife is what is usually referred to as a,"deer foot folding knife"and was likely made in either Germany;Austria,or Czechoslovakia. They started to make these around 1900 or so up until just before WWII. I think your knife might say H.Disston & Sons as it was Henry Disston who made the saws. They were in business in Philadelphia from about 1895 to 1915 and they did have knives with their name stamped on them.They did not however make knives.
For some strange reason deer foot knives are not really popular with collectors so they don't command great prices and as with all things condition is everything.
What you might do with the knife is lightly oil up the blade and pivot pin and put it in a display case and enjoy a piece of your family's history. If you would like to see more of them,I did a post on one of the forums here showing the ones I own.Do a search at the top of the first page and type in "deer foot knife".
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Cool knife you have there S.D.! ::tu:: If I were you I'd take K7K's advise, he knows what he's talking about! ::nod:: Also, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Big washer

Post by Big washer »

I also have a E W Disston 2 blades mother of pearl scales can’t find anything either.Nice knife though
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Big washer wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:12 pm I also have a E W Disston 2 blades mother of pearl scales can’t find anything either.Nice knife though
::welcome:: to AAPK Big W.! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are some more.
Attachments
Drawer3TopRight.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”