Help with Christian Solingen Germany

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
postmodernnut

Help with Christian Solingen Germany

Post by postmodernnut »

3 Questions on this one. First, why 2 different sized scrapers. What do you think the covers are, at first, I thought leather, but they are harder than leather, but have a odd finish to them. Lastly, when would have been the time frame and original purpose of the knife, other than a all purpose knife. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
IMG_7480.JPG
IMG_7477.JPG
IMG_7479.JPG
IMG_7478.JPG
IMG_7481.JPG
WillyCamaro

Re: Help with Christian Solingen Germany

Post by WillyCamaro »

I have no clue sir; but by the looks of it, I would guess military rope/para knife.
Either a fine WWII, or 50's bundeswehr survivor.
Cool knife either way, thanks for sharing.
8) ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I seriously doubt any WW2 German military knife was ever marked "Germany", I have seen plenty of WW2 German military knives and they weren't marked that way. Germany written in English would indicate made for export to an English speaking country. Possibly a dynamite knife used by demolition crews. We call the country Germany, the Spanish call it Alemania, and the Germans call their home Deutschland.
postmodernnut

Post by postmodernnut »

Thank you Willy and Gunsil for your thoughts. I have purchased a number of knives, many stamped Germany, that were made for the German market and perhaps as well for a foreign market. I have never run across any that were stamped Solingen and Deutschland at least not yet. Many are just stamped Solingen, since any metal item that was produced in Solingen, had to be stamped and completely made in the same city. I will pose that question to my friends in Germany who might be able to answer that.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Knives made and sold within a country do not need to have the country they were made in on the knife. American companies like Buck only started putting USA on the blade when they began selling in Canada. I have never seen a knife marked Deutschland, plenty marked Solingen, and many made before WW1 will be marked Prussia which was the dominant state before WW1. WW2 German military knives do not have any country of origin on them, just a maker's mark, they were never meant for export. If a knife says Germany on it either it or other knives from that maker are selling to an English speaking country. Not all Germans are literate in English, why make the mark in English if it were only to be sold in country? s my old German workmate used to say: Deutschland Uber Alles!!
postmodernnut

Post by postmodernnut »

All true. I have a bunch of WWII wood handled knives, most have no markings, only a rare few have a makers mark. Trying to keep a secret that the knives were made somewhere else!!!!!, since they were given out military. Heck, they weren't even stamped rostfrei, did not want to give it away :D .
Thank you for the comment. I am done asking advice for this group. This group was part of a 10kg box of knives and razors, and I have only started going through them. Very happy to found this very helpful forum.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Rostfrei meand "stainless" in German, so if the knives you refer to are not stainless they would not have that mark. Many German knives were exported to South America and they say Alemania rather than Germany on the blade. Ten kg of knives and razors!! must be fun going through such a box!!
postmodernnut

Post by postmodernnut »

I am very aware of rostfrei which I have been seeing on China made knives lately. Curious I guess. Yes, going through that box was puzzling and interesting at the same time. The rest of the knives I have a handle on. The 5 that I posted were the puzzlers. I have not really gotten into the straight razors fully a few that I am unfamiliar with. Also in the box was 5 Russian safety razors, very similar to standard Gillette for the time period. Hope the market is ready for them. I need to add my name to the eBay list as Zooman. Will get that done soon. Thank you very much Gunsil.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”