Info needed on EKA James Garber knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
postmodernnut

Info needed on EKA James Garber knife

Post by postmodernnut »

I can find information about EKA knives, but nothing on James Garber and why his name is on the knife. Also, what was the original intended usage of this knife. And there is another line below the Garber stamping, that I am unable to read, what could it be. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
IMG_7474.JPG
IMG_7475.JPG
IMG_7476.JPG
Gunsil

Re: Info needed on EKA James Garber knife

Post by Gunsil »

You are reading it wrong. The mark is ERA James Barber. Probably says England below that. The name was sold to Thomas Ellin, and then to Joseph Elliot. You knife looks like an inexpensive jack knife from the 1940s-1950s.
postmodernnut

Post by postmodernnut »

Thank you very much, it is not the first time I read something wrong. Wonderful, I very much appreciate the information.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Very good Gunsil! Because if it twas an EKA, then it would be a Swedish knife. Because EKA stands for Eskilstuna, the center of viking, scandinavian, and northern euro steel/knife history.
They can directly date manufacturing out of the city, to the mid-1400's, and area traces directly back to 8th century Vikings.
And EKA themselves are still in business, since 1882.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

EKA is the name of a company in Eskilstuna, it does not mean Eskilstuna. It is the last company left out of the forty or so knife companies that once operated in Eskilstuna. EKA actually stands for Eskilstuna Knivfabriks Aktiebolag, or loosely translated, Eskilstuna Knifeworks Company.
postmodernnut

Post by postmodernnut »

That certainly cleans things up. Thank you all for the comments and correction.
postmodernnut

Post by postmodernnut »

I just found this entry in another AAPK thread. Do not know how to quote yet.
'ERA was a brand of James Barber c1840
Acquired by Thomas Ellin & Co c1850, then sold to Joseph Elliot later.
Levines 4th Edition"

Patch1
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yessir!! The reason I knew is because I own a couple of ERA James Barber knives from the late 1800s and hence had studied up on them. If you get addicted to the knife collecting hobby Levine's book is very good but hard to find and a copy of "Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings" is easier to find and a prerequisite to collecting old knives.
postmodernnut

Post by postmodernnut »

I found a website on German blade makers, that I use for straight razors. Already have more books than I need anymore. My passion is mid century and ceramics, mostly German studio, which is how I got in to knives and razors. That part of our collection is over 2800 pcs and I usually have 4-500 pipes on hand at any given time, I really do not have the room for another collection, but older knives are fun to discover the history of. My hope is that I retain this information without writing it down, but memory is not my forte. ::huff::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you Gunsil, I stand corrected.
::handshake::

That tis why AAPK is the best place on the www! You learn sooooo much, all the people are super cool 'n helpful, and if one is completely wrong about something :wink:, one doesn't get bashed, or ridiculed off.
::handshake::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34

Return to “General Knife Discussion”