Still having trouble with info on these makers!

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
michaelspayth

Still having trouble with info on these makers!

Post by michaelspayth »

W&L
New York
Attachments
newjpg02-13-21 10-03-03~2.jpg
W & L New York.jpg
Gunsil

Re: Still having trouble with info on these makers!

Post by Gunsil »

Probably a retailer's mark, not a manufacturers mark. There were so many retailer's marks and many were short lived, there are myriads of knives whose marks are unknown. Any marks on the broken blade?
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Colquhoun and Cadman Sheffield
A. Cross? Glasgow

Was able to find plenty of info on Colquhoun and Cadman
however, havent been able to track down anything in regards to the secondary stamp. Any help would be warmly welcomed..
Attachments
20190901_131235(1)~2.jpg
20190901_131253(1)~2.jpg
20190901_131215(1)~2.jpg
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Gunsil wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:41 pm Probably a retailer's mark, not a manufacturers mark. There were so many retailer's marks and many were short lived, there are myriads of knives whose marks are unknown. Any marks on the broken blade?
Attachments
newjpg02-13-21 10-04-03.jpg
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Just has the same mark as the primary blade.
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

The knife is, seemingly, foreign.
I am, admittedly, at a loss.
Help would be received gratuitously.
Thanks!
Attachments
CM210122-152504026.jpg
CM210122-152426024.jpg
CM210122-152142003~2.jpg
CM210122-152301013~2.jpg
CM210122-152231011~2.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looks like Arabic to me. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Gorgeous German locking knife. It appears to be marked
"H. Judsons Keenedge"
Attachments
CM210208-091554006.jpg
CM210208-091544004.jpg
20210208_091459.jpg
This picture is of one listed on eBay. Its in better condition but, otherwise, identical... Aside from it being of a different maker.
This picture is of one listed on eBay. Its in better condition but, otherwise, identical... Aside from it being of a different maker.
Like my knife, the one on eBay appears to only be marked on the secondary blade.
Like my knife, the one on eBay appears to only be marked on the secondary blade.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The green handled tuxedo in the first picture I believe is W&B which may be either Wester & Butz or Wester Brothers.The latter had offices in New York so it is likely them. They were in business from 1904-1967 according to Goins.
There is a T.R.Cadman listed in Goins as being in business from 1870 -1947.Not sure if it the same person.
The knife with the Arabic cyphers is probably either made for the Middle Eastern market or possibly made by an English territory of the era as the square kick looks definitely English.
The large German folder I have nothing on. Some great knives though;hope you can find out more information and share it here.
EDIT: The bolsters on the last knife I've seen on folders made in Austria,Germany,& Czechoslovakia on turn of the century(20th)knives.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

knife7knut wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:38 am The green handled tuxedo in the first picture I believe is W&B which may be either Wester & Butz or Wester Brothers.The latter had offices in New York so it is likely them. They were in business from 1904-1967 according to Goins.
There is a T.R.Cadman listed in Goins as being in business from 1870 -1947.Not sure if it the same person.
The knife with the Arabic cyphers is probably either made for the Middle Eastern market or possibly made by an English territory of the era as the square kick looks definitely English.
The large German folder I have nothing on. Some great knives though;hope you can find out more information and share it here.
EDIT: The bolsters on the last knife I've seen on folders made in Austria,Germany,& Czechoslovakia on turn of the century(20th)knives.
Great info! Thank you for sharing your knowledge! I'll try to get some different angled photos to see if the "L" on that green tuxedo could actually be a "B." I have a Wester Brothers straight razor that seems to be of pretty good quality so would be cool to find out that the knife was made by that same company.
Will definitely continue to update if, and, when any new info surfaces. Thanks again!
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

I have a knife that I posted here some time back, which has what appears to be Arabic writing. I tried cross-checking it with various alphabets (Arabic, Urdu, etc.) in Wikipedia and couldn't find anything that seemed to be a direct match. However, a couple of the characters on your knife perfectly match a couple of characters on mine (just above "file Steel"). I don't know what that means, but I'm double curious now.

The knife I have is rather corroded, but the tang stamps on it are in English rather than Arabic (or whatever that language is). So yours is even more interesting in that regard. Frankly, I'm a little jealous :mrgreen: --if you ever decide you no longer want that knife, I'd be interested--I'm putting together a collection of folders from around the world, and even if I don't know for sure where it came from, I'd love to make it part of the display.

Brent
Brent

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”