You better watch out, you better not cry....USPS

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: You better watch out, you better not cry....USPS

Post by Madmarco »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:08 pm
dlr110 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:02 pm Here is my latest USPS debacle.
Capture.JPG
I feel your pain David. I have one that's been sitting an hour away since last Tuesday. ::facepalm::
I have faith that it will make it but I'm sick up and fed with waiting.
"Sick up and fed" Jerry? ::rotflol:: 8)
8)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

USPS shipping times seems inconsistent at best and varies wildly from place to place without apparent rhyme or reason. I'm experiencing both ends of the spectrum: one First Class pkg arrived in 3 days from GA; a Priority Flat Rate I sent on Dec 26 to IL shows it is out for delivery today. But, a 1st Class envelope/pkg I sent on Dec 18 to PA has yet to be delivered (last tracking info shows that it passed through Honolulu on the 19th but nothing after that). I'm still waiting for a Priority pkg to arrive from NC that was shipped on Dec 26 but so far has only made it as far as Greensboro.

Today I received this email from The Knife Connection:

Dear Subscribers,
It's been a challenging year for anyone who ships a large number of packages every day. TKC has shipped exclusively with USPS for over over a decade with very few issues, but due to severe delays lately, USPS is no longer offering the quality of service we desire for our customers.

Active immediately we will be using UPS as our primary carrier.

USPS options will still be available at checkout, but we do not recommend them. Expect major delays if you choose USPS and be willing to wait for weeks in some cases.

While a slight shipping cost bump is an inevitable part of this decision, we value our customers and take pride in the quality of service we offer. Please keep in mind that with the higher cost of shipping will also return to you much better quality of delivery service.

As always we value your feedback. If you would like to share your thoughts regarding this change please reply and let us know! Positive or negative, we will take your feedback into consideration.

Best Regards,

The Knife Connection

The term "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV) has never been so apt.
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I just had one come in from Vancouver - from 8 Dec to 23 Dec it was stuck in Vancouver, BC, when it was received by the USPS receiving facility in Vancouver, Washington.

On the 24th, it made it to San Francisco, spent Christmas Day/Weekend in San Fran, leaving on the 27th, arriving in Austin on the 28th and then delivered to my mailbox 60 miles away the same day.

So, the USPS is having difficulties with a pandemic over the busiest mass mailing Christmas period in history. USPS is still the best option in my experiences/opinion.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

So after 19 days of sitting in Madisonville, KY, according to USPS tracking it arrived and departed Evansville, IN today.

Meantime I bought a book on line on Christmas Day. Saturday I got an email saying it was shipped from the seller. UPS delivered it Monday morning. COVID nor the holidays seem to be adversely affecting them.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
robertj298

Post by robertj298 »

My service has always been great up until the time Postmaster Dejackass took over.
Being a retired Mail Carrier I believe his goal is to put the Postal Service out of business.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

So my latest whine is a package that left Monticello, KY on Dec 18th, landed in the last stop before Rockford on Dec. 22nd. It's till there.

BUT I have a success story to go along with that. Had a package leave Captain Cook, HI on Dec. 26th and delivered to me in Rockford on Dec. 30th. That's some kind of service right there.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Still waiting for a knife that's possibly never left PA from the sorting center.... purchased on the 23rd, mailed on the 24th, still showing in transit ::facepalm::
Attachments
20201230_162558.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 pm USPS shipping times seems inconsistent at best and varies wildly from place to place without apparent rhyme or reason. I'm experiencing both ends of the spectrum: one First Class pkg arrived in 3 days from GA; a Priority Flat Rate I sent on Dec 26 to IL shows it is out for delivery today. But, a 1st Class envelope/pkg I sent on Dec 18 to PA has yet to be delivered (last tracking info shows that it passed through Honolulu on the 19th but nothing after that). I'm still waiting for a Priority pkg to arrive from NC that was shipped on Dec 26 but so far has only made it as far as Greensboro.

Dear Subscribers,
It's been a challenging year for anyone who ships a large number of packages every day. TKC has shipped exclusively with USPS for over over a decade with very few issues, but due to severe delays lately, USPS is no longer offering the quality of service we desire for our customers.

USPS options will still be available at checkout, but we do not recommend them. Expect major delays if you choose USPS and be willing to wait for weeks in some cases.

While a slight shipping cost bump is an inevitable part of this decision, we value our customers and take pride in the quality of service we offer. Please keep in mind that with the higher cost of shipping will also return to you much better quality of delivery service.

As always we value your feedback. If you would like to share your thoughts regarding this change please reply and let us know! Positive or negative, we will take your feedback into consideration.

Best Regards,

The Knife Connection

Just a cautionary note guys if using UPS and your package is coming from another country. My most recent package is coming from the US to Canada, and I received a notice that duty and taxes were due totalling CDN$34.74. if I paid online, or, CDN$39.99 if I paid over the phone. Due to covid there is no C.O.D or pick-up which also would have been CDN$39.99. Upon paying the bill it seems that the actual duty and taxes amounted to under CDN$5., and the remainder is for UPS brokerage fees. So, in essence they charged me US$29.64 shipping for Standard Ground Service, AND, CDN$30. brokerage fees, for a grand total of CDN$66., and a delivery window of 12-14 days! All my packages prior to this one have come by USPS, and only once when the package was rather heavy was I charged duty and taxes. I also investigated USPS Express shipping, and even with the additional charges for Express it comes to CDN$58. with a 2-5 day delivery window! Needless to say which service I'll be using. And yes, I'll confirm what you're all think'n, it's freaking EXPENSIVE to ship stuff to Canada! 8)
8)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

IMO, USPS has always been a GREAT deal: relatively cheap for such fast and reliable service...except now (due to whatever reason) it's not. Perhaps we were spoiled and accustomed to a very high level of service for a relatively low cost. So...What changed? Who screwed with something that wasn't broken? ::disgust:: And, why? ::shrug::

~Q~
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Will I get this in less than a month after I ordered it? ::pray::
Attachments
Screenshot_20201230-211022.png
Screenshot_20201230-211034.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

John, you have me beat by a couple of days.
For comparison, the coffee ~Q~ sent made it from Hawaii to my mailbox in 5 days. ::tu::
Sitting in Palatine (an hour away) for 9 days is what chaps my keister.
Attachments
Tk.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

As some of you know, I work part-time at a newly opened indoor gun range and full-service shop and I run their e-commerce business on GunBroker. This holiday season I had seven (7) USPS medium flat-rate Priority boxes go missing that were all mailed on 12/2/2020 from the same Post Office. Twenty days after they were mailed (on 12/22/2020) I was able to open a USPS insurance claim and notify the ATF that 7 firearms were blowing in the wind. In the 9 days that have passed since opening insurance and ATF claims, all firearms have been successfully delivered to the proper FFL dealers.

What's odd is that from 12/2 to 12/26 there was ZERO tracking history for any of the 7 packages that were going to all corners of the USA. The moral of the story for me at least is that USPS cannot be trusted with anything other than unwanted junk mail and I will never use USPS again for a weapon shipment of any kind including knives. I feel sad that a 228 year old Federal organization can't get it's shirt together but it's beyond repair - blow it up and use the commercialized businesses that know how to get it done. ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sent Priority 2 Day on December 14th, just arrived today. So much for paying for Priority 2 Day!

Jerry, hoping you get yours today. It's 5:00 somewhere!
Attachments
IMG_20201231_181353532.jpg
16094566771125751790392142408990.jpg

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

John, considering the current state of USPS shipping you might want to consider switching to a more apropos brew... ::hmm::
PC310002.JPG
PC310003.JPG

~Q~
robertj298

Post by robertj298 »

bestgear wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:57 am As some of you know, I work part-time at a newly opened indoor gun range and full-service shop and I run their e-commerce business on GunBroker. This holiday season I had seven (7) USPS medium flat-rate Priority boxes go missing that were all mailed on 12/2/2020 from the same Post Office. Twenty days after they were mailed (on 12/22/2020) I was able to open a USPS insurance claim and notify the ATF that 7 firearms were blowing in the wind. In the 9 days that have passed since opening insurance and ATF claims, all firearms have been successfully delivered to the proper FFL dealers.

What's odd is that from 12/2 to 12/26 there was ZERO tracking history for any of the 7 packages that were going to all corners of the USA. The moral of the story for me at least is that USPS cannot be trusted with anything other than unwanted junk mail and I will never use USPS again for a weapon shipment of any kind including knives. I feel sad that a 228 year old Federal organization can't get it's shirt together but it's beyond repair - blow it up and use the commercialized businesses that know how to get it done. ::handshake::
I spent 36 years as a Mail Carrier and you are right it is a sad state the Postal Service in in right now. My
service has always been great up until or current administration took office. Changes were made and in my opinion
they were made to put the Postal Service out of business and privatize it.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Hard to believe that one year ago you could send a package in the states and it would get there in three days. Ah, the good old days.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

dlr110 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:02 pm Here is my latest USPS debacle.
Capture.JPG
Well now mine has left Prosper, TX
Arrived in Coppell, TX
Departed Coppell, TX
Arrived in Fort Worth, TX
Departed Fort Worth, TX
And only the Lord himself knows where it's going now, because the USPS has no idea.
BTW this item I'm waiting on is just belts for my sander, but it has me at a standstill
right now.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:50 pm John, considering the current state of USPS shipping you might want to consider switching to a more apropos brew... ::hmm::
PC310002.JPGPC310003.JPG

Looks appropriate, Q!

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:32 pm
QTCut5 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 pm USPS shipping times seems inconsistent at best and varies wildly from place to place without apparent rhyme or reason. I'm experiencing both ends of the spectrum: one First Class pkg arrived in 3 days from GA; a Priority Flat Rate I sent on Dec 26 to IL shows it is out for delivery today. But, a 1st Class envelope/pkg I sent on Dec 18 to PA has yet to be delivered (last tracking info shows that it passed through Honolulu on the 19th but nothing after that). I'm still waiting for a Priority pkg to arrive from NC that was shipped on Dec 26 but so far has only made it as far as Greensboro.

Dear Subscribers,

Best Regards,

The Knife Connection

Just a cautionary note guys if using UPS and your package is coming from another country. My most recent package is coming from the US to Canada, and I received a notice that duty and taxes were due totalling CDN$34.74. if I paid online, or, CDN$39.99 if I paid over the phone. Due to covid there is no C.O.D or pick-up which also would have been CDN$39.99. Upon paying the bill it seems that the actual duty and taxes amounted to under CDN$5., and the remainder is for UPS brokerage fees. So, in essence they charged me US$29.64 shipping for Standard Ground Service, AND, CDN$30. brokerage fees, for a grand total of CDN$66., and a delivery window of 12-14 days! All my packages prior to this one have come by USPS, and only once when the package was rather heavy was I charged duty and taxes. I also investigated USPS Express shipping, and even with the additional charges for Express it comes to CDN$58. with a 2-5 day delivery window! Needless to say which service I'll be using. And yes, I'll confirm what you're all think'n, it's freaking EXPENSIVE to ship stuff to Canada! 8)
I have found that courier companies (UPS and FDX) always charge the duties and taxes when bringing in a parcel from the US to Canada. I believe they act as customs brokers and likely charge the duties and taxes to cover their butts with Canada Customs?? I think the same thing is true of the ebay Global Shipping System in that they always charge the duties and taxes. I will not buy from an ebay seller who use the Global system. Like yourself, I am rarely charged duty or taxes for parcels coming in by USPS.
Dan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

danno50 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:58 am
Madmarco wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:32 pm

Dear Subscribers,

Best Regards,

The Knife Connection

I have found that courier companies (UPS and FDX) always charge the duties and taxes when bringing in a parcel from the US to Canada. I believe they act as customs brokers and likely charge the duties and taxes to cover their butts with Canada Customs?? I think the same thing is true of the ebay Global Shipping System in that they always charge the duties and taxes. I will not buy from an ebay seller who use the Global system. Like yourself, I am rarely charged duty or taxes for parcels coming in by USPS.
Thanks for confirming that Danno! ::tu:: I had only seen the paperwork online, and was assuming that was how it worked, ::shrug:: but it sounds like you have lots of experience in this area. And I'm the same as you regarding the ebay Global shipping plan, as soon as I read, "Pitney Bowes receives part of these charges", I knew it was going to cost more, and now disregard any shipper who uses it. ::huff:: Da*n vultures! :x Wish USPS would get back to normal! ::pray:: 8)
8)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I too am waiting on a couple knives Since the 20th of Dec.. But... My son told me he bought something in April that was shipped April 14th and he received it Dec 26th,, The contents were destroyed and the package looked like it had gone thru WW 3...
So.. I dont feel so bad.. He did cancel the order in May but got the stuff anyway..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The parcel i sent to USA on Nov 23rd that sat in a Richmond B.C. postal sort center for 26 days has now been successfully delivered. Definitely better late than never.
kj
Ole Joe Clark

Post by Ole Joe Clark »

I must defend the USPS here, they sometimes don't come by here until after 8 pm, and about 2 years ago they cut back and the carriers started delivering 2 routes. Guess which route I live on. :-)

I had a shipment about 2 weeks late from the famous bay and it finally came on Dec 28th. Then they (not the USPS) changed the due date so it would show delivered on time.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
TrueStory

Post by TrueStory »

Below is the tracking info for a knife I sold in November. It was packed and shipped on the same day the order was placed. It arrived today. I had already made a full refund to the buyer who was honest enough to contact me after it arrived today and refund my refund. The chronological order of this debacle is from bottom to top. The package went missing on Nov. 22 and did not reappear on USPS radar until yesterday, Jan. 6. It was delivered today FIFTY days after it was mailed. ::dang::

Tracking History
January 7, 2021, 2:42 pm
Delivered, In/At Mailbox
ARLINGTON, TX 76017
Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 2:42 pm on January 7, 2021 in ARLINGTON, TX 76017.

January 7, 2021, 11:21 am
Arrived at Post Office
ARLINGTON, TX 76015

January 7, 2021, 4:24 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
ARLINGTON, TX 76015

January 7, 2021, 3:57 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
FORT WORTH TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

January 6, 2021, 11:34 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
FORT WORTH TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 22, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility

November 18, 2020, 9:02 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
LEXINGTON KY DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 18, 2020, 4:01 pm
Departed Post Office
LANCASTER, KY 40444

November 18, 2020, 3:14 pm
USPS in possession of item
LANCASTER, KY 40444
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My package that was shipped on December 10th finally arrived. We’re still getting Christmas cards daily.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Knife Discussion”