The R. Berg pearl 4-bladed Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
raincrowe

The R. Berg pearl 4-bladed Knife

Post by raincrowe »

I would like to feature this small pearl handle... 4-bladed knife... approx. 3.5 inches closed...
This knife is excellent condition and the craftmanship is very good... all blades stamped....Mark side... The R. Berg... Pile Side A (star) 1
The handles are beautiful pearl with a divider in the middle brass lined
I couldn't find anything on this knife in the books I have but I happen to find on the internet that this knife was made approx. 1908
also found a picture of the four bladed would like to see another one or found more information! ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_1143.JPG
IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1141 (2).JPG
IMG_1139 (2).JPG
IMG_1137.JPG
IMG_1137 (2).JPG
raincrowe

Re: The R. Berg pearl 4-bladed Knife

Post by raincrowe »

I would like to feature this small pearl handle... 4-bladed knife... approx. 3.5 inches closed...
This knife is excellent condition and the craftmanship is very good... all blades stamped....Mark side... The R. Berg... Pile Side A (star) 1
I couldn't find anything on this knife in the books I have but I happen to find on the internet that this knife was made approx. 1908
also found a picture of the four bladed would like to see another one or found more information!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The marking of the dash under the O in Co. usually is indicative of German manufacture.Here is the A star 1 stamp on a knife I have by Tyler & Co. Celebrated Co. which I also believe to be German.Possibly made by Tyler for Berg.
Attachments
A(star)1Tyler&Co.CelebratedCutlery1 001.jpg
A(star)1Tyler&SonCelebratedCutleryTangStamp 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Why do you think your 4 blade Senator was made in 1908 ? German knives are often hard to date as manufacturers made the same patterns for decades without any changes.
kj
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

I couldn't find any reference pertaining to the knife or the company....until I found the ad that I posted above.. it's dates to 1908
and the 4-bladed knife shown in the picture appears to be similar to the op knife ....But true the knife dates are inconclusion
it could be before or after I just used that date as a baseline...Thank you for your great question!!
I would like to find more information on the company and knife.. I welcome any and all discussion!! ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Your link is to "Alamy" what it is, it is written in poor English suggesting English is a second language and it is urging you to buy "R. Berg" cutlery.
Is this a website or a picture of an ad in an old magazine ?
Single source information might not be reliable.
Who was "R. Berg" ? An importer ? retail owner ? A line of knives, there being no "R. Berg" ?, or ??
kj
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

raincrowe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:41 pm I would like to feature this small pearl handle... 4-bladed knife... approx. 3.5 inches closed...
also found a picture of the four bladed would like to see another one or found more info
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

raincrowe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:41 pm I would like to feature this small pearl handle... 4-bladed knife... approx. 3.5 inches closed...
also found a picture of the four bladed would like to see another one or found more information!
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

You are correct when looking at the English I decided not to use this site!!
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Anthony Carter's "German Knife and Sword Makers 1850 to 1945 has a lot of information about this knife. There is a lot of information in Carter's and I will attempt to summarize the info on this knife.

The A*1 logo was originally a trademark of Thiele & Quack. In 1903, a firm by the name of Gerbruder Weyersberg took over the goodwill, trademarks and stock of Thiele & Quack. It would appear that some of the acquired trademarks were used into the 1920s and some until the 1990s. There is no information given as to how long they continued to use the A*1 mark.

Gerbruder Weyersberg was owned by the Berg family and the company was run by Richard Berg from 1883 until his death in 1917. After his death, the company was run by his sons: Richard,Hans, Fritz, and later Eugen. The Berg family also owned Solinger Axt - und Hauerfabrik GmbH, which was formed in 1908 from the former axe and machete department. In 1936 it was renamed Berg & Co.,and was run by Richard Berg (the younger). His son, Eugen, ran the company until 1952.

Gerbruder Weyersberg concentrated on export markets, in particular South America. Gerbruder Weyersberg was sold in January 1997.

In regards to your knife, Ray, Tyler Bros Celebrated Cutlery was also a mark originally used by Thiele & Quack prior to 1903, so perhaps your knife is pre 1903 and manufactured by Thiele & Quack.
Dan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

danno50 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:13 am Anthony Carter's "German Knife and Sword Makers 1850 to 1945 has a lot of information about this knife. There is a lot of information in Carter's and I will attempt to summarize the info on this knife.

The A*1 logo was originally a trademark of Thiele & Quack. In 1903, a firm by the name of Gerbruder Weyersberg took over the goodwill, trademarks and stock of Thiele & Quack. It would appear that some of the acquired trademarks were used into the 1920s and some until the 1990s. There is no information given as to how long they continued to use the A*1 mark.

Gerbruder Weyersberg was owned by the Berg family and the company was run by Richard Berg from 1883 until his death in 1917. After his death, the company was run by his sons: Richard,Hans, Fritz, and later Eugen. The Berg family also owned Solinger Axt - und Hauerfabrik GmbH, which was formed in 1908 from the former axe and machete department. In 1936 it was renamed Berg & Co.,and was run by Richard Berg (the younger). His son, Eugen, ran the company until 1952.

Gerbruder Weyersberg concentrated on export markets, in particular South America. Gerbruder Weyersberg was sold in January 1997.

In regards to your knife, Ray, Tyler Bros Celebrated Cutlery was also a mark originally used by Thiele & Quack prior to 1903, so perhaps your knife is pre 1903 and manufactured by Thiele & Quack.
Thank you for that info Danno! I also have a Theile & Quack dagger and I think I have a corn knife or razor with the Weyersberg(or burg) mark.
Attachments
Theile Y QuackDagger2019 002.jpg
Theile Y QuackDagger2019 003.jpg
Theile Y QuackDagger2019 005.jpg
Theile Y QuackDagger2019 007.jpg
CornKnives&Razors2019 018.jpg
L.Weyersberg&Son(Hub)CornRazor2019-1.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Thank you danno 50.. I know the knife is old I figured about 1900 but I couldn't prove that amazing how much one can learn about knives ::tu::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

raincrowe wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:00 am Thank you danno 50.. I know the knife is old I figured about 1900 but I couldn't prove that amazing how much one can learn about knives ::tu::
The information from Carter only shows that the earliest the knife could have been made is 1903. It could also be 20 to 30 years newer. My guess is that it is more likely from sometime in the 1930s.
Dan
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Thanks for the great information...I know that those knives are hard put an exact date upon but 1930's all good!!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”