Grandma just gave meh great grandfather’s pocket knife collection

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
spizebrad

Grandma just gave meh great grandfather’s pocket knife collection

Post by spizebrad »

Hello everybody! Been lurking here for a couple weeks now, using this awesome community to date the 15 knives my grandmother just game me that were apparently her fathers. I’ll probably be posting most of these knives to get an idea of the history behind them, but I’ve gathered a lot simply by reading through your old threads!
This one is a a really thin two blade L F & C knife. I’m under the impression it was probably made between 1914-1930 but am not entirely sure. The tang stamp says H&B on the first line followed by L F C, then Britain, and finally Conn on the last line. I know this is a Landers, Frary and Clark but could somebody tell me when and where it might’ve been made? Also what is the handle made of?
Thank you in advance!
Attachments
71ECE197-C740-42AE-AF59-41B9876AA20F.jpeg
C6097951-CA39-4D7C-86A2-ED22DD86225B.jpeg
45C59A35-59DD-4ECD-A1DB-EF022D03123F.jpeg
0545BBA2-D1B8-414C-A6A9-5D1A96C16517.jpeg
Doc B

Re: Grandma just gave meh great grandfather’s pocket knife collection

Post by Doc B »

Welcome to AAPK!
I'd say the handle is mother of pearl. Hopefully more knowledgeable folk will come along and give you more info on your knife.
::handshake::
::welcome::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK.

L.F.&C purchased Humeson & Beckley (H&B) in 1912, which got them into the pocket knife business. There was a transition period during which some knives were marked with H&B. So your knife marked H&B is likely from 1912 or within a couple of years thereafter. The knife is what is called a “tuxedo” pattern. The handles appear to be mother of pearl.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
spizebrad

Post by spizebrad »

Wow you guys are quick! Thank you, the H&B was confusing the heck out of me because I couldn’t find any others where they kept the H & B. This might be the oldest knife in the collection then.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If you haven’t found it yet there are excellent resources available here for research. One is the Research button up there in the header at the top of the page. Just click on it and follow the prompts. Another useful tool is the Search capability which you’ll find under Quick links on the upper left just above this thread. Just type in a key word you want to look for and submit. For example type in “Landers” to find posts about Landers Frary & Clark. You’ll find hundreds of posts with pictures and info. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy, spizebrad! ::welcome:: to AAPK
It must be great to have a knife from your great grand dad. Hope you will share the others with us as well.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
spizebrad

Post by spizebrad »

Thanks again everybody, if you’re interested I just put up another post with a few more of his knives I’m trying to learn more about.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”