Jon F. Kennedy killed on November 22, 1963

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
FRJ

Jon F. Kennedy killed on November 22, 1963

Post by FRJ »

I went to bed around 2:00 AM this morning thinking Kennedy was killed on this date.
You don't hear much about that anymore yet those were very turbulent times back then. Scary even.
I was a sophomore in a English class at the time we were told. ......... You?
Joe
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Jon F. Kennedy killed on November 22, 1963

Post by Waukonda »

I was in 5th grade. One of the other 5th grade teachers came into our classroom and pulled our teacher off to the side and told her the news, inaudible to us, but you could see the shock on their faces. Our teacher then announced the news to the class. Kids being kids, I remember one of the boys near me saying "Kennedy is a dead duck". Soon, school was dismissed early. It was raining, one of those cold November rains, the bus ride home, which was normally boisterous, was eerily quiet. We spent the next days glued to the TV. Jack Ruby added to the bizarre, unreal atmosphere a couple of days later.
Ike
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Some days you never forget was in the 8th grade
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Seems like I was in 3rd grade and the principal announced it over the p a to the whole school. I remember it well.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I was in the school cafeteria having lunch. Several kids had skipped school to go to Dallas to see the Presidential motorcade. During lunch someone said they heard on the radio that President Kennedy had been shot. At first no one believed them and accused them of joking. After lunch when we were back in class, the Principal announced over the P.A. system that the President had been shot and had died. Everyone was in shock.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Sorry, I misspelled his name in the title. ::dang::
Joe
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Like you Joe, sophomore. Many girls were crying on the school bus ride home. Fairly crushed a nation.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I was in the 5th grade in Denton, TX and we had just returned to our class from lunch. Suddenly someone came to the room door and spoke to our teacher, Mr. Ford. He then went to the back of the room and turned on a radio to WBAP radio in Dallas. He told us it had been reported that the President and the Governor had been shot. After the announcement that Kennedy had died, school was dismissed early. Everyone I knew of was glued to the TV's and radios until after the funeral. Like 9/11 I remember it just like it happened only a few days ago. ::tear::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

I was a college junior that day in 1963 and had just returned to the dorm from morning classes when we heard the news on the TV in the lounge. Classes were cancelled for the rest of that day (Friday), and all of the next week.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I was in 8th grade, coming down the stairs after lunch from the second floor of our high school in rural Kansas. Kid yelled the news to me. The following week was quiet and strange.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I was stationed at MCRD San Diego going through Basic Electronics School. We were walking across the grinder (parade ground) when a Marine going the opposite direction yelled, "Hey) Did ya hear Kennedy got shot?" We went on to noon chow and finished our day like normal.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I was in Physical Ed. class in Junior High School, than the rumor unfortunately turned into reality.
The boys took it in stride. The girls and teachers were much more emotional.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I was a senior at Colonial High School, in Mr. Lonnie Stanford's Psychology class when the announcement came over the intercom. I recall one girl breaking down and crying and at the same time some of us goofy boys didn't have enough sense to understand the gravity of the happening. :oops:
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Was at trade school which was held in the old county hospital, was sitting in a window on the second floor sheet metal room looking out over the town, when a buddy that had slipped off to get us a pack of cigarettes came running down the hill yelling that the president had been shot. ::teary_eyes::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I was returning from lunch, walking the half block to the Borg Warner Building on Michigan Ave. in Chicago. A beautiful,sunny, day: There was one of those self-dispensing newspaper racks at the corner. I glanced at the headline as I passed: Kennedy Shot.

There was only one person I ever heard of who said they couldn't recall where they where when they heard of Kennedy being shot. That was George H.W. Bush, future CIA chief, future President. At the time, the CIA was utilizing Bush and his off-shore oil company as an asset in the Caribbean. I do wonder why he of all people couldn't remember that eventful day.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I was 5yrs old.. Dont remember much though.. ::facepalm::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I was in third grade and had come home for lunch. I was next door at the Methodist parsonage waiting for the pastor's wife to take my sisters and I and her kids back to school. (Our mothers traded off pickup/return duties). Mrs Allen came out and told us that the President had been killed and that school was canceled for the rest of the day.
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

Third Grade Library hour marched us out like a like a fire drill put us on buses and sent us home early......
Never Doubt Your Dawg
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

I was on a submarine in New London when we got the news.
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

I remember there was an anoucment the President had been shot but he was not confirmed dead when they sent us home...
Never Doubt Your Dawg

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”