Two Questions

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
just bob

Two Questions

Post by just bob »

What is the correct name for the shield on the knife in the first picture? I thought dog bone, but that doesn't seem to bring up any results. Then the knife in the 2nd picture has a very unusual opener. There is a cap lifter in the lower part, but is part of the top broken off or was it made like this? Is there anything like this on another brand of knives?
Attachments
shield.jpg
shield.jpg (18.43 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
opener.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Two Questions

Post by Railsplitter »

The shield in the first picture is called a Bullock shield.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
just bob

Post by just bob »

Railsplitter wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 pm The shield in the first picture is called a Bullock shield.
Thank you for that! Comes right up on Google and looks as if the shield has been around for a long time.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Is the cracked ice shell knife related to a radio station? The strangely shaped blade could have something to do with "radio" if so.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Is the edge of the odd blade on the second knife sharp or dull? If it is dull, then my guess is maybe a letter opener? If it is sharp, then maybe a wire stripper?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
just bob

Post by just bob »

I don't own this knife so can't provide much additional info on it. I spotted it and was curious about it. I thought Ray probably had at least 6 of them. Here is a pic of the back.
Attachments
side 2.jpg

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

just bob wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:25 pm I don't own this knife so can't provide much additional info on it. I spotted it and was curious about it. I thought Ray probably had at least 6 of them. Here is a pic of the back.
Bob! If you look at the base of the odd blade, right above the "B & B/R" on the tang, it appears to be a bottle opener, so the top rounded section might be an old style can-opener. ::shrug:: 8)
8)
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

just bob wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:36 pm
Railsplitter wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 pm The shield in the first picture is called a Bullock shield.
Thank you for that! Comes right up on Google and looks as if the shield has been around for a long time.
Were you the lucky guy who won the auction?... I'd love to see some additional pictures if and when it arrives. I was at work when the listing closed ::mdm::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Can opener, bottle opener.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
just bob

Post by just bob »

Wow here's another one so it is as made. David I've never seen a can opener with only one tine or prong. Are there others?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-USA-B- ... SwRtlfpDLn

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I've seen them ,but I can't recall the brands. Seem all have been cheap knives.
I will look around to see if I have one.
David
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

just bob wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:23 pm Wow here's another one so it is as made. David I've never seen a can opener with only one tine or prong. Are there others?

Bob, I do have this one. Its Imperial.
I will keep looking through my accumulation for any others I may have.
Attachments
20201111_161338.jpg
David
just bob

Post by just bob »

David now that you've posted that I've seen many knives with one prong openers. The knife in the OP just had a way different design - I thought, but that must be what it is a cap lifter and a can opener. I'll bet that was about as handy as a 3rd thumb and probably why that particular style like in the OP never caught on?

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

just bob wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:25 pm I don't own this knife so can't provide much additional info on it. I spotted it and was curious about it. I thought Ray probably had at least 6 of them. Here is a pic of the back.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Bob! :mrgreen:
First time I've ever seen a can opener like that;if it is indeed a can opener. There doesn't seem to be any place to lever the blade to open a can.Starting the process might be problematic. The e-Bay one says it was made by B&B which was a distributor of letter openers;knives;and other promotional items.They were not as far as I know manufacturers.I have numerous items by them including a large version of the George Washington knife and a letter opener that has a funny folder knife for a handle. The OP's knife looks like it may have been made by Imperial.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
MT-Vessel

Post by MT-Vessel »

Is the curved blade for cutting the old school foil/wax/plastic cover off corked wine bottles? Wine.... good idea! ::ds:: My plonk comes in a box or a bottle with threaded cap. ::shrug::
Empty vessels make the most noise...
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Just Bob on knife number two, do you have a view of the secondary blade fully opened ? Also it appears to me that the curve of that blade furthest from the body of the knife is sharpened (at least some). Is that correct or am I seeing things ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
just bob

Post by just bob »

philco wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:36 am Just Bob on knife number two, can you please show a view of the secondary blade fully opened ? Also it appears to me that the curve of that blade furthest from the body of the knife is sharpened (at least some). Is that correct or am I seeing things ?

I don't own the knife. I saw the knife on line and was curious about it.

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Gotcha.

You've got my curiosity stirred up with this one. ::hmm::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Just throwing something off the top of my head--insulation slitter for electrical wiring? I know, however, that the Klein Romex blade is much different.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It does appear it would work for cutting the “cover” off corked wine bottles. But if that was the case why doesn’t it have a corkscrew? I think it must have some other purpose. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

It looks like it's somewhat sharp on the outer scroll, I'm guessing for cutting champagne/wine bottle foil.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201111-211432.png
Screenshot_20201111-211350.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I still say can opener, bottle opener.
I doubt this knife is for opening champagne. It was probably a $1.00 knife when new.
David
MT-Vessel

Post by MT-Vessel »

Yes, the lack of a cork screw may sink my hypothesis. I will keep my thinking cap on as I top up my glass with a nice screw top red. ::super_happy::
Empty vessels make the most noise...
just bob

Post by just bob »

The back of that blade is much clearer on the other Ebay knife. This knife was advertising for electric fuel pumps. Here is that link again. I was thinking cutting twine on hay bales but might also have worked on gas lines. General purpose cutting?

Attachments
knife.jpg

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:31 pm Is the cracked ice shell knife related to a radio station? The strangely shaped blade could have something to do with "radio" if so.
An internet search found WSAL 1230 to be radio station in Logansport, IN. I speculate Gene Waters Farm Corner was a program on the station. Now we just have to determine why/how a knife with that odd blade was relevant to it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”