Help - understanding schrade steel

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Jimmyjam

Help - understanding schrade steel

Post by Jimmyjam »

hello friends, i am new to schrade and have tried to learn as much as i can about schrade and their steels. From what i hear, The early schrades were 1095 , then 440 and then 420, before modern ones now being in 7cr . I am wanting buy a schrade uncle henry i found and the blade is marked super sharp. I am sure it will work fine, i just would love to know what it is .
Can anyone help me ?
Also how do you think schrade steel quality compares to case, buck or maybe others ?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help - understanding schrade steel

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

My opinion is that you are over thinking this. If it is a knife you are wanting to buy and you are sure it will work fine, (both comments are from you), then buy it. There is probably not a nickles worth of difference in the steels in the knives you mention. There are probably people who might argue this, but they are probably metallurgists. Just my opinion though.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:15 pm There is probably not a nickles worth of difference in the steels in the knives you mention. There are probably people who might argue this, but they are probably metallurgists. Just my opinion though.
Amen!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

When speaking of "Schrade" you need to differentiate Schrade the USA knife manufacturer that closed down in 2004, from the post 2004 "Schrade" which are knives manufactured in China by Chinese knife manufacturers.
The USA Schrade mostly used non stainless steel (1095) in the Old Timer line and a stainless steel in the Uncle Henry line.
On the blade tang "Schrade" = 1095 and "Schrade+" = stainless steel.
Both steels have proved to be good at edge holding and easy to re-sharpen.
Some old guys say that the Schrade non stainless steel was the best of all the USA knives.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:30 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:15 pm There is probably not a nickles worth of difference in the steels in the knives you mention. There are probably people who might argue this, but they are probably metallurgists. Just my opinion though.
Amen!

Ken

::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

::welcome:: to AAPK. If you're pretty new to the world of knives, keep coming back here to read and research with questions and it will start coming together for you eventually.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ditto, don't overthink it, it will do your head in, and you will learn so much here. Good to see you. ::tu:: :) ::handshake::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Welcome! I've gotten rid of most of my Chinese knives, leaving USA Schrade, Camillus, and Case as my main users.

From my understanding: I use my "user" USA Schrades very hard, and they perform well.

Schrade carbon steel is said to be 1095. It holds an edge really well, and is pretty easy to resharpen with just an oilstone.

Schrade+ stainless is 440A. I personally find it a bit more edge retentive, but it is a little bit harder to sharpen.

The Chinese Schrades variously use 7Cr17MOV (on most individual knives), 5Cr13MOV (gift sets), and 3Cr13MOV (multitools). While 7Cr17MOV is said to be equivalent to 440A, it is not hardened or heat treated as well, and their grinds aren't as good .It does not hold an edge that well. THe lesser steels (often seen in the gift sets, and multitools) are garbage, don't even bother. Heck, avoid all Chinese Schrades. I find them not made very well. For the most part, you can find the USA models very cheaply if you look hard enough.
Jimmyjam

Post by Jimmyjam »

cudgee wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:05 am Ditto, don't overthink it, it will do your head in, and you will learn so much here. Good to see you. ::tu:: :) ::handshake::
Thank you for the invitation and love
Jimmyjam

Post by Jimmyjam »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:05 am Welcome! I've gotten rid of most of my Chinese knives, leaving USA Schrade, Camillus, and Case as my main users.

From my understanding: I use my "user" USA Schrades very hard, and they perform well.

Schrade carbon steel is said to be 1095. It holds an edge really well, and is pretty easy to resharpen with just an oilstone.

Schrade+ stainless is 440A. I personally find it a bit more edge retentive, but it is a little bit harder to sharpen.

The Chinese Schrades variously use 7Cr17MOV (on most individual knives), 5Cr13MOV (gift sets), and 3Cr13MOV (multitools). While 7Cr17MOV is said to be equivalent to 440A, it is not hardened or heat treated as well, and their grinds aren't as good .It does not hold an edge that well. THe lesser steels (often seen in the gift sets, and multitools) are garbage, don't even bother. Heck, avoid all Chinese Schrades. I find them not made very well. For the most part, you can find the USA models very cheaply if you look hard enough.
are uncle henry super sharp - chinese made. The lb5 i sm intetested in , is not usa marked
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Jimmyjam wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:27 am
cody6268 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:05 am Welcome! I've gotten rid of most of my Chinese knives, leaving USA Schrade, Camillus, and Case as my main users.

are uncle henry super sharp - chinese made. The lb5 i sm intetested in , is not usa marked

Then that would, most likely be 7Cr17MOV. I have its bigger brother (also Chinese made, came in cheap eBay lot) the LB-7 as a beater. I find it sharpens up easily, but loses that edge easily.
Jimmyjam

Post by Jimmyjam »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:29 am

Then that would, most likely be 7Cr17MOV. I have its bigger brother (also Chinese made, came in cheap eBay lot) the LB-7 as a beater. I find it sharpens up easily, but loses that edge easily.

I still might get it, i has kershaw 7cr and maybe the edge was burnt, but i didn't enjoy the steel. Have some old sog fixed blad skinning knives in 8cr. I am not a knife snob and 440 with a high rockwell or n690 is what i usually like.

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Welcome to AAPK. ::handshake::

If the Schrade knife is not USA marked it's one made in China after Schrade USA went bankrupt. My advice would be to monitor ebay for the model you're looking for. If it's USA made the sellers normally say so. If they don't say it's USA made, it's most likely not. I've got Schrade knives with carbon steel and also some with the Schrade+ stainless steel. Both are fine for normal use.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

I can only recommend Schrade USA knives. Their carbon steel (1095) holds a great edge and also sharpens very quickly on a stone. Their stainless (Schrade+) were also great knives, which in my opinion had a better heat treat than the early Buck’s of that era. You’d always see more Buck 110’s with broken blades than Schrade LB7’s. They knew what they were doing and the testament to the durability of these knives has been in that one’s made 40+ years ago are still being used today.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”