Value and possible sale Case Brother

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Cindylu

Value and possible sale Case Brother

Post by Cindylu »

I am the owner of a pocket knife that is stamped “Case Bros Little Valley NY” on the blade and the word case on the knife is written in cursive. I would like to learn the value of the knife and am willing to sell if there is value
Attachments
Pictures of knife
Pictures of knife
More pictures
More pictures
More...
More...
And another
And another
Another
Another
Last one
Last one
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Value and possible sale Case Brother

Post by Old Folder »

Welcome to aapk Cindylu;
You may want to sit down. You will be receiving some wonderful information about your CASE knife from the Case pros.
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

The handles are gorgeous and it’s a cool looking knife. But I’m thinking it’s a fantasy piece.
The blade looks like it’s had the tang shaved and then restamped. I’ve not seen a Case brothers barlow but Case did make a sheepsfoot version in the tested era but it was a double blade. Also I’ve never seen the incursive Case on the bolster like that either. It looks like it’s been together for awhile.
Really cool to see, hope I’m wrong. There are Case experts that will be along to tell you for sure.
Kerry
Cindylu

Post by Cindylu »

Thanks so much, I hope that it is authentic. I know we have had it over 30 years.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looks like a nice knife but unfortunately I don't think it is a genuine old factory made knife.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Wonderful looking knife. Looking forward to what the Case experts say.

Bob
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The blade appears to be a cut down spear blade.
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

On a knife that old it’s difficult to say with certainty because there are few catalogs or other documentation, and many knives made then have not survived. I’ve never seen a legitimate Case from any era having script bolsters. Those I have seen stamped Case (in block letters) had both bolsters oriented the same, not one “upside down” as the OP knife has. In other words the factory made two separate dies for stamping bolsters whereas the OP knife was made using one stamping tool, hence one side had to be oriented upside down. Case Brothers knives I’ve seen had “Tested” and/or “XX” stamped on a blade somewhere.

So I believe the earlier assessment of it being a “fantasy knife” is probably correct. Having had it for 30 years doesn’t make it legit. I have a counterfeit Case Tested whittler that I’ve had for about 45 years - fakes were being made then!

It would be interesting to have opinions from those who have seen and documented many old Case knives (olderdogs1 and knifeaholic).

Welcome to AAPK cindylu, and thanks for showing the knife and giving us something to ponder! ::hmm:: :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Cindylu

Post by Cindylu »

Thanks for the welcome. I wasn't trying to suggest that because we owned the knife for some time that it was authentic. I apologize if thats how it came across. I am just hoping. I have seen several older Case knives as well and none like this. I certainly appreciate any and all help I can get. I called the Case company several times but I haven't gotten a response yet.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Cindylu wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:52 pm Thanks for the welcome. I wasn't trying to suggest that because we owned the knife for some time that it was authentic. I apologize if thats how it came across. I am just hoping. I have seen several older Case knives as well and none like this. I certainly appreciate any and all help I can get. I called the Case company several times but I haven't gotten a response yet.
Case has been way behind on everything since the pandemic - they were shut down for weeks on orders from the Governor and haven’t caught up yet. But for questions on an item that old they’ll likely call on knifeaholic (Steve Pfeiffer) or Tony Foster for information.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Time to pull out Sargent's . . .

How long is the knife in the closed position? Thanks and ::welcome:: to AAPK. Usually an answer will come out, good or bad.

Here's a stamped upside-down bolster for you.

No Case Script bolsters. ::shrug:: Could be an -005 or -009 pattern.
Attachments
16037550105984084516382148600712.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Cindylu

Post by Cindylu »

3 3/8
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Fantasy or real, that is a very cool looking knife! I'm no Case expert so I can't chime in on it's authenticity..I think it would make make an awesome EDC (every day carry)!! I like it a lot Cindylu! And ::welcome:: to AAPK!🤝👍Glad you joined! You'll really come to love this website if you stick around!😁👍
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Welcome to AAPK and thank you for providing clear pictures of the knife you are asking about. ::tu:: ::tu::

This knife is questionable to me for many of the same reasons already mentioned. Attached are annotated images with specific observations.
Attachments
Case Bros LV Barlow #1.jpg
Case Bros LV Barlow #2.jpg
Cindylu

Post by Cindylu »

Thanks everyone again for the welcome, I have located some pictures of other case knives with the cursive Case on the bolster. I will post a picture.
Attachments
Was on eBay.
Was on eBay.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Cindylu wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:54 am Thanks everyone again for the welcome, I have located some pictures of other case knives with the cursive Case on the bolster. I will post a picture.
This knife shown is a terrible fake.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sorry Cindylu, but that last picture may have hurt more than it helps. The picture you posted is from an eBay seller who is known here as a purveyor of “questionable” knives. Recognizable from the hand in the picture and the green background. You can find more about that in the “Counterfeit Watch” forum here.

The pictures RalphAlsip posted are very telling. He didn’t explain but what they show a knowledgeable collector is indicative of the blade’s tang being “shaved” (ground down) to eliminate the original tang stamps, so it can be re-stamped. For reference look at how the opposite (pile) side of the blade on your knife appears. The grind line there is original.

On an unaltered blade the “grind line” (see the arrow and description in his picture) should be visible across the blade from cutting edge to the spine. When a tang has been shaved, metal is removed. Because the blade is thinner at the cutting edge the grind line there is not as damaged, but the grind line nearer the spine is removed. The result is a grind line like that in the picture. Hope that explanation makes sense. I’m posting a picture from Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery by Gerald Witcher which explains this. After the original tang stamp has been removed the tang is re-stamped with whatever mark the counterfeiter chooses. However, the tell-tale signs of tampering are present. It’s almost certain even if the rest of the knife is okay the blade is not.

Sorry to be the bearer of such disappointing news, and I really hate to tell you. I know from experience it’s hard to accept that an item has been counterfeited. It happens to most of us sooner or later.

Ken
Attachments
AAD6A89C-A8B6-43C1-9A1E-77CE54F053BF.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

btrwtr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:47 pm
Cindylu wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:54 am Thanks everyone again for the welcome, I have located some pictures of other case knives with the cursive Case on the bolster. I will post a picture.
This knife shown is a terrible fake.
Agreed! ::td::
Roger

Return to “General Knife Discussion”