Seeking help identifying 2-blade Kabar knife

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
ExCaptain

Seeking help identifying 2-blade Kabar knife

Post by ExCaptain »

Upfront I will state I am ignorant of pocketknife styles. I have been carrying the same Buck 501 for 20 years. I didn't even know Kabar made pocketknives.

My father recently gave me a pocket knife that belong to my grandfather (my mother's father). My mother remembers using it open fertilizer bags in the 40s or 50s on the family farm.

The pocket knife has 2 blades, a long slender blade, and shorter small blade (penknife blade?).

There is no marking on the tang that I can see other than Kabar.

Could someone tell me what type of knife this is? What is the long slender blade called?

Also, any idea on the age and handle material? I am not sure if it is plastic or some other material.

Thank you in advance for having patience with a novice.

Blaine Benson
Attachments
Kabar_1.jpg
Kabar_2.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Seeking help identifying 2-blade Kabar knife

Post by btrwtr »

Knife is used to the point that it is hard to tell but it might be a Kabar 1141 pattern moose pattern knife. Master clip blade and long spey blade. Master blade is very short and has been repinned at some time.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The Italics upper case "K" lower case "abar" puts it after about 1953 when that logo came into usage but before about 1967, when Cole National started putting model numbers on them.

The handle scales are made of some type of hard use plastic. That puts the knife as being in the early part of that period.
ExCaptain

Post by ExCaptain »

Thank you both for the information. My mother got married in 1956, so it is possible she would have used the knife in the early 50s, but I didn't know if they knife might have been made in the 30s or 40s, from what little I could find on the internet.

Now I need to learn proper knife terms, as I have never seen the long spey blade before.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

ExCaptain wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:32 am Thank you both for the information. My mother got married in 1956, so it is possible she would have used the knife in the early 50s, but I didn't know if they knife might have been made in the 30s or 40s, from what little I could find on the internet.

Now I need to learn proper knife terms, as I have never seen the long spey blade before.
The long spey blade is in part what makes it a moose pattern. 2 blades, double ended with a long clip and long spey blade.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”