Didja Ever Have One Of These?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Didja Ever Have One Of These?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Some old. Some current. Some don't exist anymore. A cornucopia of things past. Let's see 'em all.

My mother used one just like this up until August of 1965. How can I be so precise? Because I went down to Sears while I was home on leave on my way to Viet Nam and bought her a new automatic washer & dryer. She no longer needed to hang clothes outside on the clothesline. (but sometimes she did anyway).
Attachments
!cid_X_MA58_1495205789@aol.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
samb1955

Re: Didja Ever Have One Of These?

Post by samb1955 »

We had one of those and I was pretty little but I remember getting my finger in it, OUCH!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......remember it well!!!.............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ......................
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I guess one of the oldest technologies, I ever remember seeing, actually in use...was one of these. My grandparents lived out in a small little town and they had one of these, probably until about 1965. It was a "party line"...meaning a number of families shared the same line. If you picked up the phone to make a call...there was a good chance that someone else was already talking. I'm sure nosey neighbor listening was rampant. The phone would ring...kind of like a Morse code. Most of the time, when it would ring, Grandma would say "That's not for us". Then something like..."our ring is two short rings; then, a long one". To make a call, they would crank it...which would ring the operator...who would connect you through to whoever you were calling.
I do like my smartphone a bit better.
Crank.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The smart phone does have the advantage being portable, having a camera and having more computing power than was in the first rocket to the moon.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

My Mom had one of the washer/ringers, but I never used a phone like that one. At one time we were on a party-line that always made my Dad mad when he needed to make a call.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

My mom used a wringer washing machine, like the one Jerry posted, until at least the mid 60s. We moved into the city in 1966 and she used it for the first couple of years we were there.
I grew up in a small town and used a telephone, just like the one Doc B posted, up until at least the early 60s. The operator was located in the post office. When I was a little guy I used to like to go to the post office and watch her through the wicket. I never knew her name, always called her Central.
Dan
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

There's one still in the back room (old coal storage area, when the house was heated with a coal boiler) in the basement. Looks a lot like that one.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:20 pm Some old. Some current. Some don't exist anymore. A cornucopia of things past. Let's see 'em all.

My mother used one just like this up until August of 1965. How can I be so precise? Because I went down to Sears while I was home on leave on my way to Viet Nam and bought her a new automatic washer & dryer. She no longer needed to hang clothes outside on the clothesline. (but sometimes she did anyway).
Jerry, That's a wonderful thing to remember. I'll bet your mother was one happy and proud lady. Proud of you and her new appliances! ::tu::
I remember an old square tubed washing machine with a gasoline engine under it. My memory is that it was aluminum. ::shrug:: It had a kick starter on it similar to a motorcycle kick starter. I was warned with all sorts of threats if I messed with the engine or got near the wringer when it was running. That had to have been around 1950, I don't remember if we had gotten electricity by then or not. I imagine that old thing would be worth a small fortune today. ::hmm::
That was back in the good ol' days of outhouses, pitcher pumps, kerosene lamps and wood cook stoves. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Great thread Jerry ::tu:: .

I think you boys have seen this before, sparked a good discussion (and yes, it's still for sale if anyone is interested).
Attachments
DSCN3430.JPG
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My paternal grandparents had both a wringer washer and a hand-crank party line telephone. I remember (barely - I was probably 4 or 5 ) when REA brought electricity to their house. Before that they had kerosene lamps. Grandma got an electric washing machine, but she still had to carry water either from the well (she preferred rain water which they captured in the cistern by the house) and heat it on a wood-burning stove, then pour it into the washer. She had no “indoor plumbing”. But she did have a clothes line in the yard - never had a any other clothes dryer.

Not long afterward they got telephone service. It was a “party line”. Every time there was a call for any party sharing their same line, the phone would ring. You only answered it if it was the ring assigned to you. Grandma always said be careful what you say because someone is listening.

My maternal grandparents in SE Kansas had electricity but no indoor plumbing. I can’t recall them ever having a telephone or electric washing machine.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:13 pm My paternal grandparents had both a wringer washer and a hand-crank party line telephone. I remember (barely - I was probably 4 or 5 ) when REA brought electricity to their house. Before that they had kerosene lamps. Grandma got an electric washing machine, but she still had to carry water either from the well (she preferred rain water which they captured in the cistern by the house) and heat it on a wood-burning stove, then pour it into the washer. She had no “indoor plumbing”.

Not long afterward they got telephone service. It was a “party line”. Every time there was a call for any party sharing their same line, the phone would ring. You only answered it if it was the ring assigned to you. Grandma always said be careful what you say because someone is listening.

My maternal grandparents in SE Kansas had electricity but no indoor plumbing. I can’t recall them ever having a telephone or electric washing machine.

Ken
Thank God, we arrived, just after the advent of indoor plumbing. A hand cranked phone doesn't seem too bad.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:04 pm
That was back in the good ol' days of outhouses, pitcher pumps, kerosene lamps and wood cook stoves. :)
Treefarmer
Had all those when I was a Tad. We lived in a log house when I was a about 4 years old and Dad worked for the REA. No electricity, mom cooked on a wood cook stove, water from the cistern, toilet was an outhouse, wiped on pages out of the Sears catalog. I started school in a one room school house. Only went there a little over three months when my maternal Grandmother fell on the ice and broke her back so we moved across the Big Wabash to Evansville, IN so my mom could take care of her. My paternal grandmother was one of the best cooks in that part of the country and she did it all on a wood cook stove.

Doc B., my Granddad (and several of my other relatives) used a crank telephone (looked just like yours) up into the late '50s - early '60s.

The memories are much better than the actuality of it all.

Here's something I haven't seen in years.
Attachments
!cid_X_MA20_1495205789@aol.jpg
!cid_X_MA20_1495205789@aol.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:20 pm
treefarmer wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:04 pm
Treefarmer
Had all those when I was a Tad. We lived in a log house when I was a about 4 years old and Dad worked for the REA. No electricity, mom cooked on a wood cook stove, water from the cistern, toilet was an outhouse, wiped on pages out of the Sears catalog. I started school in a one room school house. Only went there a little over three months when my maternal Grandmother fell on the ice and broke her back so we moved across the Big Wabash to Evansville, IN so my mom could take care of her. My paternal grandmother was one of the best cooks in that part of the country and she did it all on a wood cook stove.

Doc B., my Granddad (and several of my other relatives) used a crank telephone (looked just like yours) up into the late '50s - early '60s.

The memories are much better than the actuality of it all.Jerry, I've got three of those oil spouts hanging in my shop. ::tu:: We had one of those wringer washing machines. I remember getting my arm caught in it. I think my sister suggested trying it. ::facepalm::

Here's something I haven't seen in years.
Tim
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Jerry, both of my grandmothers cooked on wood, or coal, stoves. (My maternal grandpa was a deep shaft coal miner in SE Kansas so they had coal.)

I remember when my dad and my uncle went in together and bought my paternal grandma a Roper brand electric stove. She cooked on the “burners “ but after a couple of attempts at using the oven, she went back to her wood-burning stove for baking in the oven. In the winter it was used to help heat the house anyway. In the summer she had a cookhouse out back, separate from the main house, which also had a wood-burning stove. To keep from heating up the house she cooked and washed clothes there in the summertime.

In their lifetimes neither of my grandparents homes ever had indoor plumbing. Paternal grandparents had a pitcher pump on the back porch. It was handy but grandma never liked the water from that well for drinking or cooking, so it was used mainly for washing and bathing. She liked the water from another well about 100 yards from the house. So someone had to carry it. (Me, if I was there). :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I was at an estate sale last week and I saw an oil can spout laying there amidst all of the other stuff. A lady who was probably my age or older commented on it and thought it was a good deal. I said, “The price is great, but what would you use it for?” She thought for a second and said; “Good point.” ::tired::

Unless you have metal or Cardboard oil cans with a metal lid, the oil can spouts are about the most worthless things around unless you have a can of oil to open. I have yet to find any use but one of those old oil can openers since oil seems to mostly come in plastic jugs now.
Has anyone found What a use for which they can re purpose an oil can spout?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Dale, I'll have to agree with the lady. ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just keep them a few more years. They’ll be considered “retro” and some people will buy them. Then in a few more years they’ll be antique. People will be counterfeiting them. :roll:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

I remember Grandma Brown had a washer like that when I was a kid in the 60's. We had a party line till late 60's or early seventies. Ken I havent seen one of those oil can contraptions in many years.
David
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’ve never used one of those washers, but I know people who have. Matter of fact, the other day momma said she wished she had one because she thought they got the clothes cleaner!

Ken I remember those oil can spouts when I was a kid. Everybody had one or two. Pa’s stayed in the wooden tool box in the well house.
WillyCamaro wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:41 pm Great thread Jerry ::tu:: .

I think you boys have seen this before, sparked a good discussion (and yes, it's still for sale if anyone is interested).
Ain’t that for churning butter in a mason jar?
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:26 pm I’ve never used one of those washers, but I know people who have. Matter of fact, the other day momma said she wished she had one because she thought they got the clothes cleaner!

Ken I remember those oil can spouts when I was a kid. Everybody had one or two. Pa’s stayed in the wooden tool box in the well house.

Yesir! She still works perfectly, mom just tried it out a few months back, just needs the correct shaped jar to make it work perfectly.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

WillyCamaro wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:32 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:26 pm I’ve never used one of those washers, but I know people who have. Matter of fact, the other day momma said she wished she had one because she thought they got the clothes cleaner!

Yesir! She still works perfectly, mom just tried it out a few months back, just needs the correct shaped jar to make it work perfectly.

That's the trick, Willy, finding the right shaped jar. But you never know what you might come across at a yard sale or flea market.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

My wife used a washer like that for the first 4 or 5 years we were married.
We bought it second hand, if you can imagine that. :mrgreen:
She seemed happy when we got a washer and a dryer.
Joe
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I repaired a few in my appliance repair days.. Was the Maytag man for a few yrs..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

P82A0733.JPG
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”