Anybody heard of Kay Brothers?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Ridgegrass

Anybody heard of Kay Brothers?

Post by Ridgegrass »

Wondering if anyone knows this brand/mark? Had some answers about Kaye of England but that's not it. The piece has a German look but no "country of origin". If imported it should have that unless it's pre-tariff. Maybe a Krusius Brothers ? Appreciate any ideas. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_1456.jpg
IMG_1455.jpg
knife7knut

Re: Anybody heard of Kay Brothers?

Post by knife7knut »

Could be Kastor Brothers also but doesn't look like a Kastor knife.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

The only mention of a "Kay" I can find in any of my reference books is in my copy of Goins - "John Kay c 1856-1858 New Haven, Connecticut".
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

I can't offer any additional information.. just wanted to say that is a sweet looking Jack!👍😁 There's something about ebony scaled jacks that just "do it" for me...
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks all. I'm leaning toward the idea that "KAY" is a form of 'K" like Kastor or Krusius. I like the John Kay reference but who is the "brother"?
??????
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

If you go to page 12 of my book Knives of the Hudson Valley it will explain the history of this line of knives. A copy should be easy to find since AAPK gave them to members of AAPK when it came out. I have an interest in these knives in case you wish to part with it , Lt632ret@frontiernet.net Regards Rich Langston.
MVC-001S.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Dang, there's another book I need to get. ::doh::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

it632ret: Thanks, I'm new (1 month) AAPK so I had non access to your book. Does it mention Kay Brothers. J.O'.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

I have been involved with this subject for 60 years actually more. The reason I suggested the book is because this particular part of history is almost forgotten. I will try to summerize some of this without a long dissertation George Kay was born in England. he came to this country and ( This is tough with out going into long specifics ) suffice it to say that he was a cutler. He was know as one of the first to produce the HOBO (knife fork and spoon combo) in this country ( NOTE this type of knife was well known in England he did not invent it.) However he was among the first to introduce it here. It became a favorite of troops during the civil; war. Soon other companies began making similar knives. Kay had a factory at Dashville falls not far from NewPaltz NY about 20 miles from Walden famous then for NY Knife. ( who also began producing these obo type knives ). Now prior to his making a factory at Dashville falls . It was an explosives factory and would regulary explode being felt throughout the area. In any event Kay did invent and patent at least one item related to knives. ( I am doing this by memory so I am not doing dates and am just trying to give a general explanation. Now Kay had sons his original George Kay tang was replaced with several variations son which are lost. I believe there was a George Kay and son, then the Kay Brothers. then Dashville.Probably more, After the civil war supposidly Kay moved to Walden I Suspect that he was tied up with Bradley Of NYKnife I believe he sold his equiptment to NYK who for a while produced on contract knives marked Kay Bros but definitely Dashville. I have examples of this and pictures of these marks in my book. This is just a cursory synopsis. I hope it helps. These knives have little monetary value but are a part of history and were never plentiful so are quite rare. it is only important to insane fanatics such as myself simply to fill in pieces of the puzzle. There is much more but perhapes this will suffice. One last thing I traced the last Kay in Walden ( which is three miles from where I live. He died without family and worked at the same bank of which Bradley was on the board of directors). it all ties together. Again should you be willing to part with the knife it would certainly fill a piece of the puzzle of this history. I hope this helps. Highest regards LT (How I am known).
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

LT, Thanks so much for your obvious depth of information. I too am a detail freak and love the related backstories on knives and knife lore. I have quite a few odd items about which I'd bet you could educate me.
I haven't had the piece very long and am still kind of "attached" to it. Wish I could put it "on loan" to your collection, and I may just do that one day. Here's my e-mail, ridgegrass@hotmail.com. Thanks again and do keep in touch. J.O'.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

LT, thanks for posting some information about "Kay" and "Kay Brothers", etc., and their place in USA cutlery history. Your depth of factual knowledge on USA cutlery history is likely the best there is. Whenever you post we all learn something interesting.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”