French multi-function knife. WW2 Vichy production?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Nephilim

French multi-function knife. WW2 Vichy production?

Post by Nephilim »

Regretfully, this knife is not in my personal possession, but I saved the pictures from the auction.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1601.jpg
s-l1602.jpg
20190303_211932.jpg
s-l1603.jpg
The tang stamp is marked "Apollonox". I looked up the maker and all I could find was some table cutlery of the same trademark. The prominent stamp on the scale reads "Offert par le Marechal PETAIN", translated "Offered (given, granted maybe better interpretation?) by Marshal Petain". That legend was put on medals and state honors in Vichy France, as well as on cigarette packs and other goods. I suppose it could be pre-WW2, as Petain was made Marshal of France back in 1918. Then again, I don't know if that particular phrase was used before the Vichy Regime. Also, I've only seen that old school style of can opener on pre-1950s knives.

So, if any of you can give more information about when this was made, if it was military issue, if it was commercial, etc. I'd love to know.
knife7knut

Re: French multi-function knife. WW2 Vichy production?

Post by knife7knut »

I have several knives of this pattern(I know them as champagne pattern)by various makers and all of them as far as I know were post WWII.
Attachments
Champ2017 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Nephilim

Re: French multi-function knife. WW2 Vichy production?

Post by Nephilim »

knife7knut wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:39 am I have several knives of this pattern(I know them as champagne pattern)by various makers and all of them as far as I know were post WWII.
And here I thought I was nearly satisfied with my French knife collection. I'll have to acquire something in that pattern.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”