Could fixed blade knives be counterfeit?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Could fixed blade knives be counterfeit?

Post by Gone2Three »

Ebay seller had posted dark pictures in listing, so was hard to make out clearly what the tang stamp was... they have arrived and I'm not too sure about them.
The Case doesn't seem right, too shiny and stamp doesn't look quite right, well at least to me...
The kinfolks knife has a handle that I've never seen before. The blade has age and looks to be carbon steel?

Need help from our experts here to determine what exactly I have.

Any help would be appreciated, Randy
Attachments
20200930_195157.jpg
20200930_195140.jpg
20200930_195126.jpg
20200930_200740.jpg
20200930_195409.jpg
20200930_195302.jpg
20200930_195242.jpg
20200930_195235.jpg
20200930_195228.jpg
20200930_194546.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are these fixed blade knives counterfeit?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It’s rare to see a fixed blade knife counterfeited, but they are commonly re-handled. The Kinfolks shown in your pictures does not have its original handle. I’m gonna let the fixed blade experts take it from here.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:23 am It’s rare to see a fixed blade knife counterfeited, but they are commonly re-handled. The Kinfolks shown in your pictures does not have its original handle. I’m gonna let the fixed blade experts take it from here.

Ken
Thanks Ken,
Yes, the wood is nice but didn't look quite right for age of it.
Also no other markings on either one other than the tang stamp. Not even sure what model #'s they are ....
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Like Ken says, the Kinfolks has had the handle scales replaced, otherwise correct, that model never had the model number stamped on it as some other Kinfolks did. The Case is 100% correct, stamp is post war, if the blade is super shiny it is because Case chrome plated most of their fixed blades for many years. Ken is also right that nobody is faking common factory made fixed blades, they aren't worth the effort. Rarer fixed blades like Will&Finck and many bowie knives are often faked.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

::woot::
Gunsil wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:05 am Like Ken says, the Kinfolks has had the handle scales replaced, otherwise correct, that model never had the model number stamped on it as some other Kinfolks did. The Case is 100% correct, stamp is post war, if the blade is super shiny it is because Case chrome plated most of their fixed blades for many years. Ken is also right that nobody is faking common factory made fixed blades, they aren't worth the effort. Rarer fixed blades like Will&Finck and many bowie knives are often faked.
Thank you Gunsil, I appreciate your response and confirmation on authenticity.
I'm still a newbie to the hobby, so it's great to have this resource available and our experts here.
I was just thrown by the case being so shiny yet old lol...
Any other information about model or year would be appreciated as well.
Thanks again! ::handshake::

Oh... what type of handle did the Kinfolks possibly have before it was re done?
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Oh... what type of handle did the Kinfolks possibly have before it was re done?
[/quote]

Most likely bone.
Eye Brand Collector
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Eye Brand Man wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:27 pm Oh... what type of handle did the Kinfolks possibly have before it was re done?
Most likely bone.
[/quote]

Thank you, sure would be nice to have seen what it looked like before it was rehandeled... still trying to figure out what wood was used here. It has hues of light and dark green, brown, and yellow. Maybe the wood will help with dating how long ago it was done. ::shrug::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Could fixed blade knives be counterfeit?

Post by 1967redrider »

I wouldn't say "counterfeit" as much as "repaired." That multi-infused colored wood is what I (and others) call Frost Wood.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:53 pm I wouldn't say "counterfeit" as much as "repaired." That multi-infused colored wood is what I (and others) call Frost Wood.
I learned something new today, thank you redrider ::handshake::

it's color's are starting to grow on me... wasn't too sure about it originally. Maybe later on I'll look at re-handling the re-handle lol... ::nod::
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Here’s one from my collection. The original handles might have looked like this. This one has what I call pick bone. I’ve seen others with Rogers bone.
Attachments
283FAD15-E9C4-4292-A283-48A001B0612C.jpeg
BDC47D80-EB05-4424-9668-7410F7251132.jpeg
5625341D-A02A-45C3-AB0F-B82833430351.jpeg
41F319B4-6967-4A10-9466-EABBEDEF67BA.jpeg
Eye Brand Collector
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Eye Brand Man wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:08 am Here’s one from my collection. The original handles might have looked like this. This one has what I call pick bone. I’ve seen others with Rogers bone.
Wow!... Thanks for sharing your pictures, that is a real beauty, love the pick bone ::tu::
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

There are knife technicians here that might be able to restore your Kinfolks knife with similar bone handle slabs.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Eye Brand Man wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:27 pm Oh... what type of handle did the Kinfolks possibly have before it was re done?
Most likely bone.
[/quote]

Kinfolks made that model in bone and celluloid. Since a lot of celluloid disintegrates, I think it is more likely it originally had cell handle scales which had deteriorated.. The re-handle job also looks like the handle is more narrow by the guard and the originals all had straight handles so if indeed the tang has been narrowed toward the guard a good restoration will be near impossible. I'd leave it as a user. Most Kinfolks don't command a lot of money and "restored" ones less than originals.

EBM, that is a very nice green bone example you have for sure. They also had Rodgers bone in some years. You will find identical ones marked Case and also Cattaraugus since Kinfolks made that model for those firms too. Kinfolks was a prolific maker of contract knives, I have a list of 20 brands who had knives made for them by Kinfolks.

Edit: Funny, I just surfed the bay and tonight a Case and a Cattaraugus version of the same green bone model just came up for sale. The Catt is pretty nice, the Case a beater.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:55 am There are knife technicians here that might be able to restore your Kinfolks knife with similar bone handle slabs.

Charlie Noyes
Thanks Charlie, will probably have that done here soon. I recently sent off a Case knife to Kaleb (MuskratMan) to re handle for me. Once that one is done maybe I'll have the Kinfolks restoration done.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”