Looking for Info on "KAYE HULL" knife tang stamp

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
cleroy423

Looking for Info on "KAYE HULL" knife tang stamp

Post by cleroy423 »

I picked up a knife at a Boot Sale, aka Flea Market, while I was in the UK. It has "KAYE HULL" tang stamp. Anyone know anything about these knives? Only information I could find was in Goins' and all it said was "KAYE HULL SHEFFIELD MAKE". Even google search turned up with nothing? Also any ideas on the scales? They look like maybe bone or ivory to me. I don't think they are celluloid because if you look close it appears to be porous with a wavy grain.
Attachments
20200927_110650.jpg
20200927_110741.jpg
20200927_111038.jpg
20200927_111212.jpg
20200927_111329.jpg
20200927_111829.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Looking for Info on "KAYE HULL" knife tang stamp

Post by peanut740 »

Scales do appear to be ivory. I have no idea on the stamp.
Roger
Xyphos

Post by Xyphos »

Could be a promotional knife for these people, a Yorkshire tool company that went out of business in '82 --

TS Kaye Hull
"The firm was declared bankrupt in 1982, seven years after my father's death. Many of Kayes' big industrial customers had gone, the ship-building and repairing industry had slowly died a death, along with the Hull trawler fleet, and the business was in no fit state to compete with the massive out-of-town national 'retail outlets' catering to the DIY and trade markets."
cleroy423

Post by cleroy423 »

Thanks for the info Xyphos. I didn't think about that but when I did a google search there were several types of tools that came up in reference to T.S. Kaye & Sons Tool Merchants. That's a good lead I'll keep searching still haven't seen any more knives like it though.
cleroy423

Post by cleroy423 »

peanut740 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:13 pm Scales do appear to be ivory. I have no idea on the stamp.
I was leaning toward ivory too but I'm still kind of new in the knife world. Have any pointers on how I can be fairly sure of what it is? My dad loved collecting knives and I got started by inheriting his collection now I'm hooked.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

It appears that T.S. Kaye & Sons was a MAJOR tool making company back in the 40's in the UK. At the link below, if you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can download a PDF file of their catalogue and see all the tools they made. (I downloaded the pdf file, scanned it with my antivirus program and it came up clean. Your choice though...)

T.S. Kaye & Sons DID make knives (see page 52 of the catalogue); however, unfortunately, your knife is not shown on any of the pages. But that does not mean they didn't make a folding knife. They had the means and the wherewithal to do it back in their day. I would assume that; Kaye DID make this knife and what you have is a vintage knife made by their company. IMHO...you have a very nice knife with historical meaning and provenance.

https://tskayeandsons.weebly.com/kayes- ... logue.html

Here's a bit more information on the company itself...including the excerpt that has already been posted.

https://tskayeandsons.weebly.com/and-now.html
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
cleroy423

Post by cleroy423 »

Thanks KLJ77, appreciate the info ::tu::

That knife does seem to be a rare bird 🐦 I haven't found anything like it yet. Sure there has to be some more out there somewhere.
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Well, I know that they made at least two of these large (4") sleeveboard pen knives. I have this one dated to the 1890's, don''t remember where I got this date. This one appears to have ivory handles:
Attachments
IMG_3142.JPG
IMG_3143.JPG
cleroy423

Post by cleroy423 »

Well, well, well look at that 😳 it looks just like the one I have. Where did you get yours from?

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”