Case Barlow Repair or Not??

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
GA1dad

Case Barlow Repair or Not??

Post by GA1dad »

Hi folks. Been a while since I've been on the forum,, life has been consuming.

One of my favorite knife styles is the two blade Barlow folder. This weekend I found this rough example in an odds-n-ends box at the fleamarket. At this point it does not appear to have any "dots" on the blade. I paid the man $2.00 for this abused and abandoned gem. But now I've got to decide what to do with it. I can't imagine I'd ever find replacement blades. Wondered if it wouldn't make more sense to re-profile the main blade, clean it up a bit and just leave it as a single blade.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,,, Jay
Attachments
case xx.jpg
[b] A Harley can get you through times of no money, better than money can get you through times of no Harley!!! [/b]
cody6268

Re: Case Barlow Repair or Not??

Post by cody6268 »

In my opinion, there's two things to do with it, provided the main (clip) blade still has snap. Doesn't look to have lost much meat off the blade from use and sharpening. Leave it as-is and have it as a beater (which for a cheaper Barlow, would probably be the way to go), but for a Case, I'd likely have the entire layer with the pen blade removed (spring and blade), and have it as a one-blade with nice handles. At $2, you're out next to nothing whichever way you go.

If you can find a bottle opener/screwdriver from a Scout or similar (I've seen people do this, and I want to say there was a Belknap like this from the factory) to replace the broken pen blade, it would make it a quite handy knife to have.
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

Worth $2.00 just for parts. I put one on ebay in worse shape and it brought 15.00. Just an idea! Thanks for sharing!!
GA1dad

Post by GA1dad »

Cody, the bottle opener screwdriver blade is an awesome idea! The main blade does indeed have very strong snap,, one of the reasons I bought it. The pic doesn't show it well, but a small amount of the tip was broken off and someone reshaped it,, sorta

Thanks jwwood,, that is an idea worth remembering.
[b] A Harley can get you through times of no money, better than money can get you through times of no Harley!!! [/b]
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I'm with your idea of dressing it up and making it a single blade. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Doc B wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:11 pm I'm with your idea of dressing it up and making it a single blade.
Exactly. And the guy that can make that happen is a member here (unless you want to do it yourself). ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
GA1dad

Post by GA1dad »

XX Case XX wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:36 am
Doc B wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:11 pm I'm with your idea of dressing it up and making it a single blade.
Exactly. And the guy that can make that happen is a member here (unless you want to do it yourself). ::nod::

rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I have a Case Barlow myself. Wonderful knife.

I would make that broken blade into a very short screwdriver.

Clean it up.

EDC

Bob
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I agree with Doc. Make a pretty single blade out of it. Check out the TL29 thread in customized factory knives. You'll see some fine work and get a lot of ideas as to what you can do with it.

Post pictures!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

GA1dad wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:48 am I think it's something I want to take on myself. BTW,,, having spent 13 yrs in Macon Ga,,, I really like your avatar.
Excellent on both counts Jay. Can't beat the Allman Bros. and an old Case knife. Be sure to tell us how it's going, and post pictures after.

Some folks even post a "step-by-step" process so others can learn how to repair older knives.

Can't wait to see it when you're finished!! ::nod:: ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I converted this old Monarch pen knife into a tool knife. You have a lot more on the broken Barlow blade to work with. ::nod::

If you grind it, just watch you don't take the temper out of the metal.
Attachments
16014015936337414081445307935543.jpg
16014016307162466201932176278483.jpg
1601402304884262479855387742357.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
GA1dad

Post by GA1dad »

Byrd wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:01 pm Check out the TL29 thread in customized factory knives. You'll see some fine work and get a lot of ideas as to what you can do with it.
Ugh,,, that's the last thing I needed to look at. Beautiful work in that thread! I have a couple of Camillus versions that need attention too.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

There ya go! Winter projects! In the repair and restoration thread is a section on tutorials showing how to get one apart, replace scales and put it back together. You'll find out it's very addictive.
GA1dad

Post by GA1dad »

Well I guess I'm committed now,,,, :roll: I don't think I did any damage that can't be buffed out,,, yet.
Attachments
20201001_200512.jpg
20201001_194837.jpg
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

::ds:: Cool! You're there! You know how sweet that slim Barlow will be in your pocket?
GA1dad

Post by GA1dad »

Byrd wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:33 am You know how sweet that slim Barlow will be in your pocket?
Yessir,,, I'm kinda excited at the thought of it!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Looking good!
"Buff up" that joker and let's see the finished knife!!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I am getting excited by seeing the "in progress" pictures.
That is going to be a beautiful Barlow when you finish it!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Looking good!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”