Old Case Tested Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Old Case Tested Knife

Post by just bob »

How about this one? I don't like the stag and so far as I can tell the tang is stamped Case Tested on both sides, but don't worry the seller says you can trust them. Maybe they are right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-CASE-4 ... SwMtVfZhV6
Attachments
case tested.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
msteele6

Re: Old Case Tested Knife

Post by msteele6 »

It would be nice to have a view from the top or bottom.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Trust is developed after dealing with a person several times or you know someone who has.

Not saying he is untrustworthy.....but,why was the previous account closed or why open up
a new account anyway if you are going to sell an expensive knife??

Bob
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I trust this knife more than some shinier examples I have seen. Looks good to me but the prices scare me. I had a pretty nice 88 and 52 collection many years ago. Wish I could have gotten the prices when I sold them that they bring now. I suspect this will go pretty high.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The knife looks okay to me. The knife’s generic features appear legitimate, although I’d like to see a picture looking down from above the knife. I don’t collect Congress patterns so others more familiar with them may have opinions to share.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

The stag looks like bone stag or jigged bone. The blades look milky and would appear rather easy to clean up. Looks like stainless to me. I would have to pass on it.
just bob

Post by just bob »

For comparison here is another stag tested congress. I'm not saying either is right or wrong. They just look very different to me. Maybe one is just well worn? I also see now the tang on the knife in the op isn't stamped on both sides. I was looking at the pictures wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-T ... 7675.l2557
Attachments
case congress.jpg

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

::sneaky::
jwwood wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:49 am The stag looks like bone stag or jigged bone. The blades look milky and would appear rather easy to clean up. Looks like stainless to me. I would have to pass on it.
I also initially thought the stag looked a bit suspicious, and it reminded me of "Stagalon". But, in looking at pictures of various knives with stag scales in my copy of Steve's book, 2nd edition, I see several similar examples of stag. There is one at the bottom of page 53, that Steve refers to as "snakeskin" stag, "often observed on Case Tested and early Case XX knives.", and a 5254 trapper on page 54 that looks quite similar on the mark side. Looking at the second auction picture, in expanded view, the rocker pin head does look to me to be a bit buggered up, so I do have to wonder if the scales were replaced by someone in the past. But surely someone working on this knife would have fixed that dinged up tip on the sheepfoot blade in the 3rd picture. I know that I would have. ::sneaky::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

By the way, Where is Steve? I've missed him lately on Case knives in the "Counterfeit Watch".
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Sold for $2377 plus shipping and tax. Nice old and rare knife I believe was 100% corrrect. Had a very early block style closed C shield. The main issue I saw with the knife was the stamp on the big spear blade. If the owner chooses to have the knife cleaned it will likely lose the better part of the stamp.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

My opinion is that the Case Tested XX 5488 in question is good. For stag reference, a collage of some Tested (and earlier) stag is attached. The 5488 stag in question is in the center. The image quality and the lighting of the Tested 5488 handles is poor and that is what makes it look "flat & dull" relative to the comparison images.
Attachments
Old Case Stag Collage.jpg
just bob

Post by just bob »

Thank you for taking your time to post that picture. I appreciate the excellent information. I had never heard of snakeskin stag.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Jerry what a great reference pic. And entertaining looking at the different stag. Thanks. ::nod:: ::handshake::

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”