Winchester Stag Copperhead

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Winchester Stag Copperhead

Post by Desert Golfer »

Mailman brought me this knife today. No model number or manufacture date on tangs. Just Winchester Trademark, Made in USA. Says "Steel" faintly just under USA. This is the only Winchester Stag Copperhead I have ever saw. Is it real or counterfeit?
Attachments
IMG_4742.JPG
IMG_4741.JPG
IMG_4743.JPG
Gunsil

Re: Winchester Stag Copperhead

Post by Gunsil »

I am no expert on the modern "Winchester" knives, but that one just does not look good to me.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It looks cold stamped (raised edges around the letters) and the knife looks like it is made in Pakistan or maybe low end of China manufacture. The bone handles on it are never seen on a USA made knife.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree, looks cold stamped (the STEEL stamp looks to me like part of whatever was there previously). There are probably more counterfeit and reproduction Winchesters around than there are honest old ones. Because of that I very rarely spend money on a Winchester. If they look new, they probably are, and the OP knife certainly doesn’t look like an honest old knife, of any brand.

If you like “reproductions” there are a lot of the made-for-Bluegrass Cutlery versions around. Be aware that many of them are not patterns originally made by Winchester. Some folks collect them. And then there are still the counterfeits to watch out for.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Desert Golfer »

Thanks Guys for your expert input. I am returning this knife for a refund. Mike
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If you’re going to collect Winchester, I recommend getting some good reference books and study the brand thoroughly. Winchester is a very challenging brand to collect, for reasons already stated above. Can be very rewarding but the field is thick with mines and traps for the unwary. ::nod::

You can become a resident Winchester expert! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I have a knife exactly like this but with blue scales. Got it at a pawnshop for a few bucks, got home and looked at it closer, says Pakistan. Surprisingly nicely made, hard blade snap.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”