Rigging knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Ridgegrass

Rigging knives

Post by Ridgegrass »

If you like tools and riggers, here's a few you may enjoy.
Top Row: 1)George Ibberson, Sheffield, 2) Capt. Charles Currey, Chichester,England
Bottom row: 1)Joseph Rodgers Sheffield, 2) KA BAR, 3) Schrade, 4) ABL-Colin Winand, 1951, England, 5) Sealine, USA, (West Marine Brand)
To a sailor and fisherman, these are very useful, especially the "marlin spike". Great for untying tight knots. The term "marlin" refers to the light line used to whip rope ends, as opposed to the fish. The slotted blade and handle are shackle keys for stuck or tight shackle pins. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_1408.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Rigging knives

Post by garddogg56 »

Love'em and use 'em.You have a nice assortment ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
eveled

Post by eveled »

Nice collection! ::tu::
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:36 pm If you like tools and riggers, here's a few you may enjoy.
Top Row: 1)George Ibberson, Sheffield, 2) Capt. Charles Currey, Chichester,England
Bottom row: 1)Joseph Rodgers Sheffield, 2) KA BAR, 3) Schrade, 4) ABL-Colin Winand, 1951, England, 5) Sealine, USA, (West Marine Brand)
To a sailor and fisherman, these are very useful, especially the "marlin spike". Great for untying tight knots. The term "marlin" refers to the light line used to whip rope ends, as opposed to the fish. The slotted blade and handle are shackle keys for stuck or tight shackle pins. J.O'.
::tu:: ::tu:: Nice Group!!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice assortment.
I gave a Buck marlin spike knife to a Navy Corpsman in the 1980s. He was working in the Labors Union and he used the marlin spike for splicing cable and ropes.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Benton629

Post by Benton629 »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:36 pm If you like tools and riggers, here's a few you may enjoy.
Those are nice. I love rigging knives.
Thanks for sharing.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I went looking to affirm my information on these knives was correct and learned something new in the process.

The new (to me) information is - The generic term for these knives is "Sailor's knife" or "Sailing knife". I did not know that.

What I was affirming was this. "The ones with locking spikes are known as rigger's knives, while the ones with non-locking spikes are known as yachtsman's knives."
https://neuseriversailors.com/special_f ... nives.html

Since it's "didja know" time, the Marlin in Marlin Spike has nothing to do with the billed fish. It's actually a name for the tool "Shaped in the form of a polished metal cone tapered to a rounded or flattened point, it is used in such tasks as unlaying rope for splicing, untying knots, drawing marline tight using a marlinspike hitch, and as a toggle joining ropes under tension in a belaying pin splice."

marline (plural marlines)
1.A light cord or rope used to bind the end of a larger rope, to prevent fraying.

2.Twine used similarly.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/marline

And

"Sailors who become proficient at knot tying, splicing, and sewing using the marlinspike are said to have mastered marlinespike seamanship, earning them the right to be known as marlin spikes or marlinspike seamen."

So now ya know. School dismissed. :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Benton629

Post by Benton629 »

Hey, I learned something new today! Thanks Jerry.

My first rigging knife came to me in an odd way.
I was working for a small airline in the Caribbean about 30 years ago and came home from night shift to find someone got into my house. Took a loaf of bread and left a rigging knife as payment. Nothing else touched and there was plenty of valuables to take.
Cop said it was probably one of the local Rastafarians that came out of the hills.
I still have that knife but can’t seem to remember where I put it..,
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

We have a nice Victorinox "Sailor's" knife. Not a standard pattern but has all the right blades, spike, shackle key. etc. J.O'.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I've posted these before but figured I'd throw them into the pile.
Attachments
100PerCentStainlessSteelJapanRigger'sKnife.JPG
Buck315Rigger'sKnife1.JPG
CoricamaRigger'sKnife.JPG
DiamondMark4BladeSailor'sKnife3 7.JPG
Geo.WostenholmSailor'sKnife.JPG
J.MonginYachtman'sKnife2018-1.JPG
KA-BAR Rigger'sKnife2.JPG
Schrade735SSRigger'sKnife1.JPG
SchradeBos'n'sMateRigger'sKnife.JPG
StainlessSteelJapanRopeKnife1.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Couple more.
Attachments
Taylor'sEyeWitness1939Sailor'sKnife7.JPG
WhittingsloweAdelaide1573Sailor'sKnife7.JPG
KA-BAR Rigger'sKnife.JPG
E.RenaudArmesRigger'sKnife.JPG
Benton629

Post by Benton629 »

Wow. Keep ‘em coming. I’m really enjoying these.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:02 pm I went looking to affirm my information on these knives was correct and learned something new in the process.

The new (to me) information is - The generic term for these knives is "Sailor's knife" or "Sailing knife". I did not know that.

What I was affirming was this. "The ones with locking spikes are known as rigger's knives, while the ones with non-locking spikes are known as yachtsman's knives."
https://neuseriversailors.com/special_f ... nives.html

Since it's "didja know" time, the Marlin in Marlin Spike has nothing to do with the billed fish. It's actually a name for the tool "Shaped in the form of a polished metal cone tapered to a rounded or flattened point, it is used in such tasks as unlaying rope for splicing, untying knots, drawing marline tight using a marlinspike hitch, and as a toggle joining ropes under tension in a belaying pin splice."

marline (plural marlines)
1.A light cord or rope used to bind the end of a larger rope, to prevent fraying.

2.Twine used similarly.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/marline

And

"Sailors who become proficient at knot tying, splicing, and sewing using the marlinspike are said to have mastered marlinespike seamanship, earning them the right to be known as marlin spikes or marlinspike seamen."

So now ya know. School dismissed. :lol:
Interesting Jerr y, thank you.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Knife7nut.. Love the one with the shackle key in the handle. Who made it? J.O'.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:36 pm Knife7nut.. Love the one with the shackle key in the handle. Who made it? J.O'.
French made by Jacques Mongin. The spike is actually hollow and the knife very light for it's size.Here is a pic of the underside of the spike.
Attachments
JMonginYachtsmanKnife 003.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Trying to add the picture.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”