Hello I need help getting an estimate value of a couple knives

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
XNT44X

Hello I need help getting an estimate value of a couple knives

Post by XNT44X »

These Are both case knives and IM having issues
Getting an estimated value on them.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Hello I need help getting an estimate value of a couple knives

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK.

The best source of current value is an advanced search of eBay sold listings for the item. There are hundreds of different Case commemorative trappers so you may or may not be able to find the exact same knife. It doesn't matter as they're all worth about the same.

Probably less than they cost when new. The exception would be if you find a buyer emotionally connected to the event or person being commemorated. They might pay more, or maybe not. ::shrug:: To everyone else it's just another knife.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XNT44X

Post by XNT44X »

Ok my next question is I have a large knife collection that was passed down to
Me
From
My grandfather. What are some
WAy to deterMine that a
Knife
May be valuable is it the older the better
Or what?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

There are several factors that effect value of a knife, the foremost being age, condition, and rarity. A knife 50 to 100 or more years old and in mint condition will be worth more than the same knife in worn condition. Some brands and patterns are more popular than others - if they're scarce too they will likely be worth a lot.

Knives made to be collectable, like the commemoratives you showed previously, rarely have appreciated much if any in value (relative to inflation). Even if they are a "limited edition" . See my previous post.

If you don't know much about knives I recommend you check out the Research section here (accessible in the header at the top of the page) to learn of what you have. If they're mostly Case knives you can find how to determine the knife's age, pattern number and name (what collectors call it) and so on. For Case knives there are several good reference books available also. Most are out of print so a used book store is your best bet (there are several on line).

Since its a large collection, you have a lot to learn and unfortunately there is no "one size fits all" answer. If you want to learn, you have a lifetime hobby and a ready made collection. You haven't said what you want to do from here - enjoy learning about the knives to carry on your grandfather's hobby, or find values to sell off the collection?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ken has given you very good advice, ::tu::
Roger
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Someone on ebay has been trying to sell that exact Earnhardt knife for $75 for the last month, but has gotten zero bids. So, I think it is safe to say that knife is worth less than $75. As Ken discussed above, manufactured commeratives & collectibles are very fun to collect, but lousy investments.

Selling a large collection of anything can be a very difficult and time consuming task - especially if you are trying to get top dollar. You can spend years doing it, and that means that the reality is that unless it is a collection of very, very valuable items, it will probably not pay off for the time it will take to do it. The reality is that a collection is never worth as much to anyone else as it is to the original collector that built the collection as a labor of love.

If you want to sell them fast, then put them on ebay for no reserve and you get whatever you get. You will still need to spend the time to take the pictures, write the listings and pack & ship the items. You could sell them in groups to minimize your effort, but that will lower the price. If you want top dollar, then you will need to research each knife to determine maker, pattern, year, handle material and any other key attributes, then either list it on eBay or here at AAPK. There are people that might buy an entire collection from you, then resell them at knife shows or online. That is by far the easiest way to turn a collection into cash, but you will also get only 30-50% of the potential retail value of the collection. There are a couple of guys here on AAPK that might be interested in that sort of a deal (or at least there was before the pandemic). I doubt there are many (if any) knife shows happening right now.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What do you mean by "large" ? 100 knives ?, 1,000 ?, 5,000 ? or ??
If it is about 100 knives you could sell them yourself either on ebay or going to a knife show with a knowledgeable friend to help you with pricing, etc.
If you have 1,000 or more knives trying to sell them individually would take a long time and you might want to sell the entire collection to a knife dealer. There are a number of dealers who buy collections so you could 'shop around' for the best price.
Condition is very important. If these are mostly or all, never used knives then some might be quite valuable. If it is a collection of used knives then the likelihood of having high value knives is much lower.
If you put some of the knives into groups of say 5-10 knives and posted the pictures here, you could be given more specific advice. At this point it is just a "large knife collection" which gives us nothing to go on.
kj
Kase's Kutlery Plus

Post by Kase's Kutlery Plus »

I'll give you my own opinion as a knife dealer. It may not be popular. There was some good advice given. Unfortunately old used knives are like old used cars not all are the same. Opinions vary widely. Ebay sold listings is a great way to determine value but not always accurate. Some auctions go high and some low. Thats often determined by the skill of a seller. Bad pictures and descriptions don't usually sell for as much as good ones. Because a knife hasn't sold for x $ doesn't mean its not worth that. The knives in question will be harder to sell because you will need to find a Case xx and a Dale Earnhardt collector. Knives are also very streaky. I can place a fair price on a knife and it won't sell. I can obtain multiples of the same brand of knife and they don't sell. Then suddenly they all sell out. If your looking for a quick $ you'll ultimately will have to take less. If your an accomplished at taking pictures and knowledgeable I recommend ebay. If you want top dollar you'll have to piece them out slowly. The value is really determined by the knives you have and what you choose to do with them.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I don't know why the truth wouldn't be popular! :lol:
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

This is just my opinion for me AAPK is the best place to sell your knives :D get a Store take good pictures and give a good description ::tu:: . If you need help on what you have you can always post a picture and ask questions there will be some one along to help :lol: . Nicer people than Ebay & most know what their looking at . Fee's are better ::ds::. May take a little longer to sell than Ebay but you get to keep more of your money from your collection. If you are in a hurry just post what you have Here ::groove:: and I bet you will get someone knocking on your door with a email or a PM . One other thought you could auction them off , Bruce Voyles Auction is a good place . Good Luck it takes a lot of work to sell knives . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”