M.B. Co. - Civil War knife?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

M.B. Co. - Civil War knife?

Post by TripleF »

Tang stamp dates it from 1852 - 1983.
And the handle and blade is slightly bent.

Any way to know if it was from the 1800'S?

TIA
Attachments
IMG_9633 - Edited (1).jpg
IMG_9632 - Edited.jpg
IMG_9634 - Edited.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
ea42

Re: M.B. Co. - Civil War knife?

Post by ea42 »

It was made by Meriden Britannia Co.. It may have been from the late 1800's but regardless there's no way I would characterize it as a Civil War knife. It's a silver fruit knife likely used FAR from any battles.

Eric
Ben Ogle

Post by Ben Ogle »

ea42 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:53 pm It was made by Meriden Britannia Co.. It may have been from the late 1800's but regardless there's no way I would characterize it as a Civil War knife. It's a silver fruit knife likely used FAR from any battles.

Eric
If the knife is in fact from the years of the civil war, wouldn’t that make it a “civil war knife”? I don’t believe Triple f was implying that the knife was used in the war, just asking if it was from that era.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Ben Ogle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:41 pm
ea42 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:53 pm It was made by Meriden Britannia Co.. It may have been from the late 1800's but regardless there's no way I would characterize it as a Civil War knife. It's a silver fruit knife likely used FAR from any battles.

Eric
If the knife is in fact from the years of the civil war, wouldn’t that make it a “civil war knife”? I don’t believe Triple f was implying that the knife was used in the war, just asking if it was from that era.

Indeed. Thanks and thanks Eric!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
ea42

Post by ea42 »

My pleasure Scott!

Ben, yes but the Civil War was only four years. That's a mighty narrow time frame to date a knife unless there are some special dating characteristics of the brand. Late 1800's definitely fits better. To me calling a knife a Civil War Knife implies that it was actually used for some purpose in the war.

Eric
Ben Ogle

Post by Ben Ogle »

ea42 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:53 pm My pleasure Scott!

Ben, yes but the Civil War was only four years. That's a mighty narrow time frame to date a knife unless there are some special dating characteristics of the brand. Late 1800's definitely fits better. To me calling a knife a Civil War Knife implies that it was actually used for some purpose in the war.

Eric
You are right about that, it would be mighty hard to date a knife that old in such a narrow frame of time.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

General Grant’s fruit knife. He also used it to cut his cigars.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”