Grandson's Graduation knife, need advice !!

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
Toejammer

Grandson's Graduation knife, need advice !!

Post by Toejammer »

Building a fixed blade for the grandson, My sister in law scored me a couple of nice sheds. (she's a rancher, so she finds them all the time) Anyway, I need to know if I've got enough straight to use for the hidden tang shown. Or do I need to cut off some tang to make one work ?

The other question is weather or not the shed with the extra small point is even worth using. The point is on the left hand side, which would make it uncomfortable, if not dangerous to wear sheathed. I'm not dead set on using these, but I've never worked antlers before. Any wisdom you could drop would be great !

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
KleenCut61

Re: Grandson's Graduation knife, need advice !!

Post by KleenCut61 »

You Could Pinch Some Wood or Leather Between the two Crowns , using Them Both , No What i Mean . ( Like One Against the guard The other as a pommel With An Exotic Wood inbetween . U can do it :D K.C. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

I agree with KK above.
Except, I would stack wood and leather using only one crown as the pommel.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I like the one on the left, along with KC's suggestion. The possibilities for a spacer/filler are many!
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Thanks !

I was thinking I would probably use one crown w/ rosewood / micarta / brass / liner stacked for the rest of the handle. I just want at least one pin, if not two, for a solid attachment. I don't want it coming apart in his hands. (he's already taken a chainsaw to his knee last year, I don't need to add to the problem)

Mike
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Finally figured it out. I was so focused on using the nuts, I totally missed a nice flat run leading up to upper tines. Also, got a scroll saw today, so now the cuts will be nicer. This piece is just lying / mocked up over the full tang, but I think I can drill straight through and use the brass pommel for the end. Though I'm tempted to cut the antler peice in the middle, and go with a brass / linen / brass feature to break it up. Any thoughts ?

Bruce Lee
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

That's looking pretty nice!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

WOW!!! That looks perfect!!! ::drool:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Doc B wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:06 pm That's looking pretty nice!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks ! Sometimes I get lucky :mrgreen:
Bruce Lee
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:04 am WOW!!! That looks perfect!!! ::drool:: ::tu::
Thank you ! It's weird how it was there all the time, but I never saw it until today. And like I said, I was obsessed with using the crowns,... and then my brain locked up ::dang::
Bruce Lee
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Hogged it out and mocked up. It indexes great. Now I've got to decide weather or not to use the pommel, or cut off the extra tang and go with a butt cap. I'm probably going to stack some black / white linen micarta and another brass piece on the guard end, and that should shorten the tang hanging off the butt end. Any ideas ?

Bruce Lee
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Great work. Lucky grandson! I'm sure he will treasure your gift. I have no advice to give except that your thinking before doing approach is the way to go every time.

Proper preparation prevents piss-poor performance. The 6 "P" Rule. You got that covered and it's serving you well.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Toejammer wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:00 pm Hogged it out and mocked up. It indexes great. Now I've got to decide weather or not to use the pommel, or cut off the extra tang and go with a butt cap. I'm probably going to stack some black / white linen micarta and another brass piece on the guard end, and that should shorten the tang hanging off the butt end. Any ideas ?

Hey Toe ::tu:: Great Progress . , With the Nut Inset Into the Crown , You could Really Make that Handle Shine , keeping the balance and index maximized . looking good ::tu: Either Way Crown But Cap , Pommel . Perhaps engraved ? Really would make your boy stand up an Notice !!! just a thought..Hagd K.C.
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Finally done ! Not the prettiest thing, but I know he'll like it. Being my first try with deer sheds, it kicked my arse. The piece I finally decided on had a bit of a curve to it, which in hindsight might have been a mistake. Being a hidden tang blank, I found I had to negotiate that damn curve when drilling it out. It made it impossible (for me at least) to pin the handle, so I had to do the butt cap. And actually, the butt cap worked pretty good. And with some 5min epoxy and torque, the butt cap holds it all together nicely.

The bad part,... the spacers at the guard. I didn't realize they were that thick until after I committed to them. They matched the butt cap spacers, which is what I wanted. But they just don't look right to me. Anyhow, live and learn.

Bruce Lee
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I think that looks pretty sweet! ...and if that came from my Grandfather, it would sit at the top of the list of things I'd grab, if my house was on fire!
Nice job! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
eveled

Post by eveled »

Love it. Very nicely done.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doc B wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:05 pm I think that looks pretty sweet! ...and if that came from my Grandfather, it would sit at the top of the list of things I'd grab, if my house was on fire!
Nice job! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
I agree whole heartedly. Great gift. ::nod:: ::nod::
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I'm sure he will love it, I know I would.
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Thank you ! You guys are way too nice, but I'll take it !

Going to work on a couple TL-29's this week, then time to rebuild this ...
(that weird handle has been eating at me ever since I finished it)

Camillus Pilot's Survival Knife.
Bruce Lee

Return to “Custom Knives”