Help identifying a couple knifes

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
jmpaige

Help identifying a couple knifes

Post by jmpaige »

back at the knife company identification. You guys have been awesome. This knife appears to say O. PERES Germany. Is that the maker/brand or something else?
Attachments
20200727_084823.jpg
20200727_084829.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Help identifying a couple knifes

Post by Quick Steel »

The tang stamp should be D Peres, rather than O. This was a German cutlery company located in Solingen Germany. You may wish to research on Google or elsewhere as to whether the company still exists. I doubt that it does.
jmpaige

Post by jmpaige »

Thank you so much! I do the best I can but I know very little about knives other than what i have been able to learn from google and you all here at aapk! I appreciate the help. I will probably have more knives I need assistance on here soon. Still over 100 or so knives to try and figure out if I can find tang stamps at all whether there was ever one there or just to dirty to see.
Wish me luck.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The first thing that might help you in your quest for information is to simply type into Google the name on the tang and see what comes up. Google is your friend. (sometimes) :)
jmpaige

Post by jmpaige »

thanks I generally do unless i cant figure out the tang stamp or am miss reading it.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

You might want to grab onto a Goins Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings. I feel sure Knife Magazine would have one available.
Not a cheap book but very helpful.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
jmpaige

Post by jmpaige »

If this was for me I would. I work for a gentleman that has me on this task and doesnt want to spend money to find the answers out and unfortunately I am not in a position to spend any either but I will keep that in mind my husband has a love of knives and have been thinking about starting him a collection set. Maybe for Christmas getting him one he owns a bunch of knives just not sure of the branding on them I need to look it up.
My boss collects things and I wouldn't necessarily call this a collection but I would say easily over 200 knives here and some of them are well kept in display cases. the ones I am working with however I believe he got at some kind of sale in a box years ago and they have set there since he just now has gotten an interest in figuring out what he has there are some really pretty pieces. Like a couple sheffield sterling silver ones. I have however really begun to learn so much from this experience and who knows maybe it will help me to start something for my husband that we can maybe pass down to my godchildren or my niece or maybe her children one day.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jmpaige wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:53 pm back at the knife company identification. You guys have been awesome. This knife appears to say O. PERES Germany. Is that the maker/brand or something else?
It looks like there is something stamped or it says something under GERMANY. I can't make out what it says and enlarging it only makes it really blurry. ::shrug::
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (36.39 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The little figural knife(that is the type of knife)was indeed made by Daniel Peres of Solingen Germany.The Goins book I have was made in 1986 and it said that D.Peres was still in business then and started in 1885.I have quite a few Peres figural knives and most of them have aluminum handles.
Your knife likely had celluloid handles that may have had advertising on them.Celluloid has a notorious problem of,"out-gassing" or deteriorating and usually destroying the brass liners and steel blades and springs.Even in good condition figural knives are not a high dollar item.
For what it's worth I'd start charging your boss research time. Here is another figural shoe knife from a different maker(Swan Works)to show what yours originally looked like.
Attachments
SwanWorksShoeKnife 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jmpaige

Post by jmpaige »

knife7knut wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:46 pm The little figural knife(that is the type of knife)was indeed made by Daniel Peres of Solingen Germany.The Goins book I have was made in 1986 and it said that D.Peres was still in business then and started in 1885.I have quite a few Peres figural knives and most of them have aluminum handles.
Your knife likely had celluloid handles that may have had advertising on them.Celluloid has a notorious problem of,"out-gassing" or deteriorating and usually destroying the brass liners and steel blades and springs.Even in good condition figural knives are not a high dollar item.
For what it's worth I'd start charging your boss research time. Here is another figural shoe knife from a different maker(Swan Works)to show what yours originally looked like.
I am on the clock the whole time I am researching.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”