Chinese "Knockoff" knives.

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Captain O

Chinese "Knockoff" knives.

Post by Captain O »

Has anyone purchased any of the inexpensive Chinese "knockoff" imitations of the Italian Automatics on DHGate? They state that they're 440C and other reputable steels. Others claim they are 5cr13 and 9cr18 steel (the latter being comparable to AUS8 and 440C steels). ::undecided:: ::shrug:: ::hmm::

Comments? Opinions?
samb1955

Re: Chinese "Knockoff" knives.

Post by samb1955 »

I wouldn't trust dhgate unless I bought a Ganzo from them. I'm sure those aren't copy's.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Makes me think of a quote from Zig Ziglar: “it’s easier to explain price once than to apologize for quality forever.”
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Captain O wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:49 pm Has anyone purchased any of the inexpensive Chinese "knockoff" imitations of the Italian Automatics on DHGate? They state that they're 440C and other reputable steels. Others claim they are 5cr13 and 9cr18 steel (the latter being comparable to AUS8 and 440C steels). ::undecided:: ::shrug:: ::hmm::

Comments? Opinions?
Hey C.O.!
I just came across this post, and thought I'd share my experiences with DHG knives with you. I have ordered and received(which is actually a big deal since I'm in Canada)10 various autos from them, and although mine are for collection purposes only, ALL are perfectly operating knives. I started with 3, 13"-AKC stamped(fake)stilettos, 2/SS bolsters and dark horn and ebonywood scales, and 1/brass bolsters and dark horn scales. Since these knives operated so well I went on to ordering 4, all different lever-locks, one of them being an AKC stamped(subtly different looking than the legitimate stamp)9" "Leverletto" /dark horn scales and "Leverletto" etch on the front blade but missing the "Bill de Shivs" etch, and this one cracks open with authority and locks-up solid with zero play. The other 3 are much less known unmarked lever-locks, although they are beginning to gain popularity overseas, likely due to them being very acceptable knives, and 1 sports very nice walnut scales, and the other 2 with black+white ABS scales/faux abalone inserts. Next I ordered an 8 3/4" AKC(same story)stiletto with faux ivory scales that operates flawlessly. My last order was for 2 "Tomb Raider"(that's what the seller called them, but they are nothing like the actual Tomb Raider OTF)9+11" D/A OTF's/black+white swirl ABS scales, and blue+white swirl ABS scales respectively. These too are also becoming popular in the Americas, and once again likely due to how well they operate. All of the Italians are swivel bolster models and came with bayonet and dagger blades, and stated in the descriptions that they are 440C steel, although, coming out of China it could be anything. I have since been informed that AKC does NOT ship ANY knives out of China, so you can be sure they are clones, albeit good clones. I am more than pleased with how all these knives operate, but decided to collect only quality knives from here on in, partially due to the very high shipping costs I was forced to pay in order to successfully get them past Customs, but also due to learning more and more everyday about quality autos. As I said, my knives are strictly for collecting and I never use them for anything else, and if you want to see exactly what they all look like, read my posts under "Some of my autos" in the Switchblade Collectors thread. I fully realize I'm posting this to you over a year after you asked the question, but just thought this might help in case you were still wondering. Mark! 8)
8)

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”