3 dot Buck 110 Monroe

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
TimB50

3 dot Buck 110 Monroe

Post by TimB50 »

My wife just found one of her Buck knives and while I understand the 3 dots mean 1980 - 1981 I am not to sure about the Monroe on the blade. Does anyone know how many of these were made. It looks like Buck produced some 110 knives for several different companies. Does this have any impact on price for the knife?
The knife is in original box with papers and sheath is new, never used.
Attachments
CE9BEEF1-99EC-47A0-A4C5-656B969F308C.jpeg
BE8CB968-3CB7-42EE-AF6F-3D8F61CA6D86.jpeg
D3690684-5CD5-4E57-88B8-2B872B80417E.jpeg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 3 dot Buck 110 Monroe

Post by edge213 »

It looks like the logo for Monroe shock absorbers.
In my opinion the etch lowers the value.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

edge213 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:08 pm It looks like the logo for Monroe shock absorbers.
In my opinion the etch lowers the value.
I agree on both counts. Still a nice knife to have nonetheless.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

For "purist" collectors, yeah, the value is probably diminished.

However, for people who specialize in genre collecting, it may increase the value. There are folks that like advertising knives. There are (maybe) folks that collect MONROE memorabilia.
TimB50

Post by TimB50 »

Thanks to all for the info. I wrote buck to see what their take is on it. Maybe Monroe used these as a give away for some promo. I will post and let you know what they say.
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

Could have also been an employee knife. It was common practice back in the 1970s-1980s for employers to gift knives to employees who reached certain milestones, such as working [x] number of years of service. Over the years I have seen similar knives with company etchings like that. I think it's a pretty neat 110 with it's own unique history. Also Monroe Shocks & Struts are still around.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I think it neither adds to the value of the knife nor detracts from the value of the knife. There are so many etched blade Buck 110 Folding Hunters out there that no one has completely identified them all, not even the Buck Knife Co. Your biggest issue in establishing a value is the corrosion on the bolsters. For $7.00 Buck will make it look new (they will remove the etch too if you ask). Just have them leave the edge profile as is - they will leave it or change it to Edge 2000 on the 440C blades, owners preference. Nice knife, if it was mine I’d use it with the blade etch. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I am not familiar with the dot system on Buck knives, mater of fact, don't believe I ever encountered it before. I checked the chart here on AAPK but saw nothing about dots. Can someone help out here?

Thanks,
Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Paladin wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:52 pm I am not familiar with the dot system on Buck knives, mater of fact, don't believe I ever encountered it before. I checked the chart here on AAPK but saw nothing about dots. Can someone help out here?

Thanks,
Ray
Buck has it listed on their website:
https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/how-old/
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Jeffinn wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:59 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:52 pm I am not familiar with the dot system on Buck knives, mater of fact, don't believe I ever encountered it before. I checked the chart here on AAPK but saw nothing about dots. Can someone help out here?

Thanks,
Ray
Buck has it listed on their website:
https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/how-old/
Thank you Jefffinn. I never even knew of that chart on the Buck site. I always just refer to the chart posted here on AAPK.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
TimB50

Post by TimB50 »

I just heard back from Buck on my 110 with Monroe engraved on the blade. Buck did not do the engraving. They suggest that Monroe probably purchased some amount of 110’s and had their logo engraved as a promotional giveaway or employee perk.
Thanks to all for your input.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There are lots of Buck and Schrade knives that are marked with a company name or logo. All were purchased as 'regular' knives and then the 'advertising' markings done by a business specializing in doing such work. There likely are some collectors whose focus is with these after market marked production knives.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”