Confused ebay seller

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Confused ebay seller

Post by dlr110 »

I purchased this...
s-l1600.jpg
....but I received this.
20200629_102338.jpg
There is so much rust on this knife I don't know if is salvageable.
I can make out the tang stamp as:
STAG
IRELAND
I'm waiting for the seller to answer my email before I take any other action.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Re: Confused ebay seller

Post by cody6268 »

Hopefully you can get it straightened out. I've had it happen twice. Once, I accidentally got a Victorinox model that was very rare (LE done to celebrate their 125th anniversary) in place of a very common model (the Swiss Soldier's Knife). I didn't say much about it, as that model was on my list, but I did have to buy another, as the knife was intended as a gift. The other time, I got a Kershaw Leek that had a broken blade, and had been sharpened on a belt sander, when it was supposed to be in "good condition". Seller never even tried to take interest in letting me return/exchange it. I ended up just buying a new Leek for a very good price.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Hope it was an honest mistake, David, and there's a peaceful resolve.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Odd that I don’t recall ever seeing the STAG over IRELAND stamp previously, but I’ve seen it twice in posts here in the last week. ::shrug:: Here’s the other one viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67180#p826698. I’m guessing maybe made by Imperial?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:28 pm Odd that I don’t recall ever seeing the STAG over IRELAND stamp previously, but I’ve seen it twice in posts here in the last week. ::shrug:: Here’s the other one viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67180#p826698. I’m guessing maybe made by Imperial?

Ken
I think it is an Imperial too Ken. I just got a response from the seller and he has offered me a refund or he will send the correct knife and I keep both. I believe I'll keep both. I sent him a response and said I preferred the knife I paid for. Now let's see if he makes good and if he does I will consider it an honest mistake and right him a good review.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

If the seller sells a lot of knives I could see this happening no matter how careful you are.

Hope you get your knife. That rusted one could turn out to be OK if you are willing to spend
a lot of time on it.

Bob
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

rea1eye wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:41 pm If the seller sells a lot of knives I could see this happening no matter how careful you are.

Hope you get your knife. That rusted one could turn out to be OK if you are willing to spend
a lot of time on it.

Bob
Thank you Bob, I hope he is an honest man. As far as the rusted knife I'm confident I can make it
look good. My only problem is I don't have the tools or the skill to take a knife apart and rebuild it.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That rusted Imperial Ireland isn’t probably worth a lot of effort to get it cleaned up.
I bought an A.G. Russell lockback that was suppose to be bone handled and what I got was ebony handles. I know he made an honest mistake. I looked back at his past sells and saw where he had sold an ebony handled one a couple of months earlier. He had put them in the wrong box I’m sure. I liked the ebony handled one enough to just keep it and I got it at such a good price I didn’t make a fuss about it. He did offer to give me a full refund.
I have had very few problems buying knives on Ebay or here on AAPK. I still believe that knife collectors are the best people in the world to work and deal with.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

This happens for 2 primary reasons. 1 The seller is new and doesn't have a system worked out. 2 - The seller is selling TMS and puts the wrong label on the package.

Without reviewing the seller's feedback, my guess on this one is he's relatively new at selling and doesn't have a good system worked out yet.

Thrice, the second reason happened to me-

First time, I got a box of D-cup bras instead of a Camillus 1219C2/sheath. That seller slapped the wrong labels on 2 boxes. Seller ate the shipping costs and sent each party a new label.

Second time, same thing - different stuff - I got some kind of "collectible doll figurine" instead of WW2 G46-6 w/ sheath. Same fix - new labels.

Third time, I got an Xbox that was sold for parts instead of a late 1980s Wenoka dive knife. The seller refunded the money to both party. I still have the broken Xbox. The seller made a mistake somehow on the shipping label for the knife - it went to Houston but with my street address and was returned top the seller.

1 time I bought a knife from a seller who promptly sent it to me and he got a 5 star review from me. About a week later, I received a box from the same seller - but I hadn't bought any thing from him. There was an old 35mm camera in the box. Looked him up under complete sales for the camera type and sent him a message via a different auction he had going. Turns out somehow he had printed my label twice and used the second one for someone else's item. He sent me another label to slap on the camera.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:50 pm This happens for 2 primary reasons. 1 The seller is new and doesn't have a system worked out. 2 - The seller is selling TMS and puts the wrong label on the package.

Without reviewing the seller's feedback, my guess on this one is he's relatively new at selling and doesn't have a good system worked out yet.

Thrice, the second reason happened to me-

First time, I got a box of D-cup bras instead of a Camillus 1219C2/sheath. That seller slapped the wrong labels on 2 boxes. Seller ate the shipping costs and sent each party a new label.

Second time, same thing - different stuff - I got some kind of "collectible doll figurine" instead of WW2 G46-6 w/ sheath. Same fix - new labels.

Third time, I got an Xbox that was sold for parts instead of a late 1980s Wenoka dive knife. The seller refunded the money to both party. I still have the broken Xbox. The seller made a mistake somehow on the shipping label for the knife - it went to Houston but with my street address and was returned top the seller.

1 time I bought a knife from a seller who promptly sent it to me and he got a 5 star review from me. About a week later, I received a box from the same seller - but I hadn't bought any thing from him. There was an old 35mm camera in the box. Looked him up under complete sales for the camera type and sent him a message via a different auction he had going. Turns out somehow he had printed my label twice and used the second one for someone else's item. He sent me another label to slap on the camera.
D-cup bras instead of a Camillus, that is hilarious. I’ve never heard of anyone making that mistake before.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Stag Ireland is indeed Imperial when discussing shell knives. It is from the old Jowika factory bought by Imperial-Schrade in the 70s. I have a large Stag Ireland Barlow which is identical to other Imperials of the same (Irish) construction.

The Queen is objectively more valuable than the Imperial so I do hope you can get the right knife. Good luck!

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”