George Wolstenholm

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
helenu

George Wolstenholm

Post by helenu »

Hi all - I have this lovely knife and I am trying to date it and also identify the blade type and rarity/value - any help would be most welcome.
It has the I*XL and also a WR with a crown which I think will be William IV so probably 1830-37 and also a Wolsten on one line with Holms underneath and then Patent
Any help on it gratefully received!
IMG_8835.JPG
Attachments
IMG_8838.JPG
IMG_8841.JPG
IMG_8842.JPG
Steve Warden

Re: George Wolstenholm

Post by Steve Warden »

Sorry I can't help with any knife info.
No doubt someone a whole lot smarter than I will be along shortly.

Welcome aboard!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Nice old knife, I believe it is a quill knife made for cutting the end of feathers and used for writing by dipping it in a ink well. Handle looks to be mother of pearl. G. Wolstenholm has quite a history, starting in 1837 and the IXL stamp is still used today. ::tu:: Terry I have included a photo of a ivory handled grafting/budding knife with the tang stamp.
Attachments
DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0023.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Just to clarify things a little. George Wostenholm founded his cutlery company in 1745 and began the famous IXL trademark in 1787. You are correct that your knife with the royal warrant mark of W crown R means it was made 1831-1837. It is a quill knife as stated for making the nib ends on feathers for writing. The blade has severe wear as might be expected on such an old knife, but it is still a little gem.

The mark on Terry's is newer, looks like a 20th century knife. Wostenholm is no longer in business, they were sold several times between 1971 and 1986. The factory has been closed since the early 1980s.
helenu

Post by helenu »

Thanks that's really helpful. With its age do you have any idea of value?
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Hard to give real values, most here look at sold items on ebay of similar knives, but WR marked knives are harder to find. As with most collectibles, age and scarcity does not drive price, desirability does. That said, with a cracked handle and blade wear I'd venture less than fifty bucks. One funny thing about knives is that size does matter and most folks pay more for larger knives. I am sure there are people who specifically collect quill knives, I just have never met one. Very pretty little knife. If I saw it at an antique shop or flea market I'd let maybe a twenty out of my pocket just to have a WR marked knife but I doubt I'd go more, that's just me though.
helenu

Post by helenu »

Thanks, that's really helpful.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Even with knives as old as OP knife, serious collectors only want unused or very lightly used examples. With a very worn blade and crack in the pearl, the value is low as Gunsil suggests.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”