Winchester Identification of #2896 Pattern

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
J529A

Winchester Identification of #2896 Pattern

Post by J529A »

I found this Winchester for sale on eBay. I can't find the patern number in any of my books for real or reproduction. The knife looks like either a reproduction or a real one that someone cleaned the mess out of it! Can anyone identify the knife as real or reproduction? Also, is there a pattern list where the 2896 might be found? Sorry for photo quality but these are the best I could get.
Attachments
IMG_3390.JPG
IMG_3391.JPG
IMG_3392.JPG
IMG_3393.JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Winchester Identification of #2896 Pattern

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

J529A wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:24 pm I found this Winchester for sale on eBay. I can't find the patern number in any of my books for real or reproduction. The knife looks like either a reproduction or a real one that someone cleaned the mess out of it! Can anyone identify the knife as real or reproduction? Also, is there a pattern list where the 2896 might be found? Sorry for photo quality but these are the best I could get.
Hi. You might get your answer(s) here:
viewforum.php?f=114
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
J529A

Post by J529A »

Thanks Skip! I searched all the threads from the cite you placed. Unfortunately, there was nothing about the 2896 pattern number. I'm pretty sure the number is a reproduction but I can't find it anywhere. I'm just trying to educate myself about the Winchester brand but there are just too many different reproduction manufacturers. I know Bluegrass is the largest and their knives are high end qulaity. Of course, I want to be able to discern the originals from th reproductions and fakes. Thanks again.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

J529A wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:01 pm Thanks Skip! I searched all the threads from the cite you placed. Unfortunately, there was nothing about the 2896 pattern number. I'm pretty sure the number is a reproduction but I can't find it anywhere. I'm just trying to educate myself about the Winchester brand but there are just too many different reproduction manufacturers. I know Bluegrass is the largest and their knives are high end qulaity. Of course, I want to be able to discern the originals from th reproductions and fakes. Thanks again.
It is always almost over whelming trying to learn the ins and outs of a particular brand. I'm not a Winchester brand man so I'm not much help just to say don't give up. Here a little and there a little is usually the way we learn. Just be persistent and patient. ::nod::
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

J529A wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:01 pm Thanks Skip! I searched all the threads from the cite you placed. Unfortunately, there was nothing about the 2896 pattern number. I'm pretty sure the number is a reproduction but I can't find it anywhere. I'm just trying to educate myself about the Winchester brand but there are just too many different reproduction manufacturers. I know Bluegrass is the largest and their knives are high end qulaity. Of course, I want to be able to discern the originals from th reproductions and fakes. Thanks again.
Greetings, J529A,

Here's a link to a thread that presents a lot of history and information about the Winchester brand of knives. You may find this interesting as you filter through the various comments and info. Hope this helps to refine your search. Good Luck!

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ant ... 2.1712983/
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
J529A

Post by J529A »

Thanks to all for the assistance! Also, thanks to KLJ77 for some great information on that link! I will keep plugging away. I think I've barely scratched the surface of the Winchester brand!
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I don't know much about this one, except I like it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “General Knife Discussion”