Help Identifying Case Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Adapptiv

Help Identifying Case Knife

Post by Adapptiv »

Hello all hope everyone is having a good Monday.

I’m hoping someone can identify this knife in this tin for me. It is a case collectors edition and I’ve included the pictures so you can identify it for me if you would be so inclined.

My wife and I inherited a large number of knives and I have learned quite a bit about them and I’m getting better all the time, but I tend to find these Knives that I cannot identify or find online unless I sign up for that worthpoint crap.

All help appreciated thank you so much and God bless!

Cheis
Attachments
004BACF6-6E07-42D8-ACB1-EA0DD416CD4D.jpeg
EC904F0C-82D1-471F-AD69-3E294EA37E6C.jpeg
5800803A-5E87-4187-A151-45553E412E18.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help Identifying Case Knife

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Red stag 2-blade medium congress pattern (some call a half-congress). Stainless steel blades. Pattern number R52052SS is on the sticker on underside of the tin. How to,determine age can be found here: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... ification/

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Adapptiv

Post by Adapptiv »

Ken,

Thanks so much for the detailed answer!

The date thing gets me with Case. The tang stamps and so on are often confusing and seem to even experts to be a little wonky, hence the from this date to that and maybe earlier/later etc.

Appreciate it and God Bless!

Chris
Adapptiv

Post by Adapptiv »

Ken,

Do you know the age of this? If so how did you determine it? Just based on the tang stamp?

Thanks again....

Chris
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If you look at the page I referenced (from the research section here, accessible via the header at the top of this page), it’s not difficult. Just compare the tang stamp on your knife to the stamps pictured there. Beginning in 1970 the shape of the word “Case” in the stamp was changed every decade. Then the number of dots and/or X’s changed with every successive year within that decade. For example the 1970 stamp had 10 dots, 1971 had nine dots, 1972 had eight, and so on. In 1980 the shape of the word “Case” changed and once again there were 10 dots. 1990 it changed again,,and so on.

Once you’ve identified what decade your knife is from, just count the dots and/or X’s remaining iron the knife.

It’s all explained on the referenced page.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Adapptiv

Post by Adapptiv »

Thanks Ken.

I do get all that and I have researched it, I guess i’m just complaining because I think it’s kind of stupid. ;)

God Bless....

c
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If you only knew how many people, how many times, ask “how old is this knife?, you might not think it stupid. Case just designed a method for date coding their production and started using it in 1970. It wasn’t long before others followed suit. There’s an entire thread here (it’s even been made into a “sticky”) devoted to various manufacturers’ tang stamps and how to use them to determine the age of a knife. That’s how much people want to know that.

You’re certainly entitled to think it’s stupid. But very few, if any, collectors would agree. No matter what they’re collecting. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

I downloaded and enlarged the photo of the OP. The tang stamp has four dots, so that should put it at 1996.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Adapptiv

Post by Adapptiv »

I apologize if I cam off as a jerk. My point was it makes it much harder in some cases to tell what year it was, when a simple date would suffice. I understand that's not as sexy as their solution, but it would sure make my life easier. :)

I respect collectors of all stripes, and these knives are beautiful. I have learned a lot about them and plan to continue my education as we sell mt wife's Dad's late collection.

God Bless, thanks again, and I truly appreciate the help.

Chris

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”