Knife Recall

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Knife Recall

Post by Quick Steel »

Harbor Freight has recalled over a million of their Gordon brand knives due to lock failures resulting in lacerations.
cody6268

Re: Knife Recall

Post by cody6268 »

Honestly, I am surprised it took them so long to discover this; given they've been making them at least 10-15 years, to only be recalled last summer. I don't have this one, but have been looking at its replacement the "Drop Point EDC" which is a bit better made; more in line with entry level imports from SOG, CRKT, and Kershaw, as opposed to Frost like the recalled knife is.

I would probably say, given how many I see in used lots, that this is definitely in the top ten list of best-selling folders. So, I wonder how many will get returned?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I thought I knew 'knives' but I have never heard of "Gordon" brand knives, or "Harbor Freight". I assume it is not a trucking company that sells knives on the side. Oh well, at least I don't have one.
kj
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:26 pm I thought I knew 'knives' but I have never heard of "Gordon" brand knives, or "Harbor Freight". I assume it is not a trucking company that sells knives on the side. Oh well, at least I don't have one.
kj
They are a pretty major seller of tools made in the Orient (China) based in California. My Granddad ordered stuff from them all the time, and then we got a location nearby in WV in an old carpet store. I've bought a few things here and there, mostly zip-ties and the like; as well as some small tools I'm always losing or having someone return damaged if at all.

From my perspective, they're good beater tools, and while they have lines that are trying more and more to compete with the pro-grade stuff, and are often better than common import brands in the States like Kobalt, Irwin, Husky, and (what is now) Craftsman, they are, in my use, the tools I use when there's a good chance it's getting broken; or need to build a task-particular kit and don't have a lot of money at hand.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Cody. Living in Canada 'Harbor Freight" is a name that most of us don't know about.
kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

KJ,
Harbor Freight has gone through a transition over the years. They used to be the cheapest tools around, the epitome of "cheap Chinese tools" I actually bought the Harbor Freight version of a reciprocating saw years ago and and loaned it to my neighbor before I before I had used it. He returned it not in working order. It had nylon gears in it and all the gears in it stripped out. It was only $25 on sale as I recall. ::shrug::
I have had an air compressor from Harbor Freight, the compressor and motor are fine, it is the peripheral pressure switches that leaked like a sieve!
I also had a 1 by 42 belt sander that was not bad. I bought it at a moving sale for $25 to use as an extra belt sander. I gave it to my dad or my brother and they still have it.
They have sales all the time and promotions and if you watch them you can get some pretty good deals and nowadays they stand behind most of their tools just like Craftsman did.
If I was a professional mechanic these days I would avoid their tools for the most part, thought some of their higher grade hand tools might be alright. For the homeowner / hobbyist their tools are for the most part quite acceptable and definitely priced right.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

If you care about your friends and family, don't gift them a knife from Harbor Freight. I don't want to knock on them because they do fill a niche. I have bought some tools from them over the year and their wrenches and impact socket are actually pretty decent and fairly priced. Also own a jack stand from them that has held up well over 10 years. But their pocket knives and machetes are a different story. They have always look somewhat unsafe to me. I remember they use to sell a bowie knife than I swear looked like it had no tang, just a hollow handle.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”