Stacked leather shrinkage

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Tater

Stacked leather shrinkage

Post by Tater »

I have a couple of fixed blades with stacked leather handles with enough shrinkage that it creates enough play in the guard to be noticeable. Anyone have any advice on getting some treatment on the leather. What should I use? Can I get enough treatment on them to expand the leather back? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Stacked leather shrinkage

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Tater wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:30 pm I have a couple of fixed blades with stacked leather handles with enough shrinkage that it creates enough play in the guard to be noticeable. Anyone have any advice on getting some treatment on the leather. What should I use? Can I get enough treatment on them to expand the leather back? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
You might want to try here:
viewforum.php?f=37
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

You can try leather preservation solutions like neatsfoot oil, mink oil, or others, but some of them will darken leather. Read the directions to be sure, or if you don’t care if it darkens it then you can try any of them. I’ve never tried restoring stacked leather knife handles but have restored other leather items. I’d clean it thoroughly with saddle soap (follow the directions) first to remove as much dirt as possible, so the leather conditioner can penetrate. Let it dry a day or so after the saddle soaping, before using anything else.

If it’s cracked and/or dry rotting it’s probably too far gone to save.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Tater

Post by Tater »

Thanks Ken, the leather is actually in good shape but the handles have just shrunk. They are new 25 year old knives that have been stored in the boxes so no dirt and grime. I don’t think a cleanup is in order, just looking to get some treatment on them. I’m hoping to bring them back without any major change in the color. Thinking of trying some clear Kiwi just to see what happens. Mink oil might do it if that doesn’t work.

Regards,
Tater
eveled

Post by eveled »

You can also wrap dental floss into the space at the guard to stop the rattle. Or sometimes tighten the pommel.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I would try mineral oil, cheap, should not damage the leather, and won't add any color. Anything you use will darken the leather some, but I expect the leather was pretty dark when the knives were new. Also mineral oil should not react with any metals or plastics such as spacers or pommels.
Bruce
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I use Montana pitch blend. but it will darken the leather, it is a blend of pitch, bees wax, and mink oil. Made more for a water proof treatment. If you do try it , you will want to use a hair dryer on it after application. Being sure not to over do the heat however, just enough heat to melt it into the leather. Wipe off with a soft rag and let it dry. You should be able to find the stuff on line. I believe anything you use will darken the leather however. Good luck, ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Once leather has dried enough to shrink will any treatment actually get the leather back to it's original thickness ?
In my very limited experience (~ 3 knives), oil (mink oil) softens the leather and darkens it, but otherwise, no change.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”