G & G Cutlery Co, Buffalo NY

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
olderdogs1

G & G Cutlery Co, Buffalo NY

Post by olderdogs1 »

Has anyone heard of G & G Cutlery Co. Buffalo NY? I have one but can find no information on the brand. It has APLDFOP on the back of the main blade tang. Interesting that it has a Half Saber main blade, similar to a Case 3/4 pattern!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
Attachments
380.JPG
394.JPG
404.JPG
404.JPG
410.JPG
Doc B

Re: G & G Cutlery Co, Buffalo NY

Post by Doc B »

Never mind...unable to delete entry in this forum
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Patent applied for.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

btrwtr wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:01 am Patent applied for.
Ditto ::tu::
Roger
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I agree, any information on the company?
Thanks, Tom
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looks very much like Robeson handle material and frame. The Pat Applied For and master blade grind suggests it could be a special purpose knife made on contract by Robeson. Perhaps a small company that was not in the knife business but needed a specialized knife for their business.

Wayne

olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

btrwtr wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:31 am Looks very much like Robeson handle material and frame. The Pat Applied For and master blade grind suggests it could be a special purpose knife made on contract by Robeson. Perhaps a small company that was not in the knife business but needed a specialized knife for their business.
Thanks Wayne, any idea of a time period? The half sabers I have are on WRCase &Sons naves 1905-14. Do you believe the patent applied for was for the blade? Thanks in advance. ::tu::

Tom
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

olderdogs1 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:27 pm
btrwtr wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:31 am Looks very much like Robeson handle material and frame. The Pat Applied For and master blade grind suggests it could be a special purpose knife made on contract by Robeson. Perhaps a small company that was not in the knife business but needed a specialized knife for their business.
Thanks Wayne, any idea of a time period? The half sabers I have are on WRCase &Sons Jack Knives. 1905-14. Do you believe the patent applied for was for the blade? Thanks in advance. ::tu::

Tom
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The frame and handles on the knife are rather distinct to Robeson. I am not sure of the time frame that Robeson used this frame along with the rough black type handles that are on the knife. I don't know if Charlie has seen this post but he might be the one to answer that Robeson question. The Patent marking could well be related to the knife's frame.

Wayne

richard

Post by richard »

i have this old burk & shaw, english whittler. with a similar main blade. i thought it was a ground down sheeps foot blade ?
could it be what you call a half sabre blade?
i replaced the broken MOP scales on this knife with red bone.
Attachments
002.JPG
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Richard - (Aaron) Burkinshaw is not from England (though he emigrated to the US - Is that what you meant by an English whittler?) and is quite collectable ... his shop started for a short time in CT during the mid 1800s but within a few years he moved up to Pepperell Mass where his shop remained until the early 1900s and though he died in 1880 his sons continued the cutlery...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I have never seen such a blade in a Robeson knife and that flat tang and blade on one side is totally foreign to Robeson.

But, I agree the frame and handle appear to be Robeson.

I suspect the PATENT / APL FOR stamping refers to the frame, which has the nickel-silver frame and bolsters curling over the edges of the handle slabs.

These knives from Robeson had no handle pins, but as the OP knife has no bottom bolster, there has to be a pin there. It holds the knife together.

Here is a Robeson CARPENTER'S CHOICE three blade in what is usually considered a cattle knife pattern. The handle slabs are an early form of Micarta and the only pin is the hinge pin. The handles are secured by the overlapping frame and bolsters.

I no longer own this knife, so I hope its owner doesn't mind me using its photo.

Charlie
Attachments
138433B.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Thanks for adding in Charlie. I have owned a number of Carpenter's Choice Robesons but don't recall ever seeing one with the NSL lip frame like the knife you owned. Beautiful knife.

I don't remember ever seeing a Robeson with this type frame that wasn't a Robeson Shuredge script type stamp. Further I believe the majority of Robeson's you might find with this type frame are marked with some type of patent stamp as well. This leads me to believe the OP with it's frame and handle material could well have been made c. 1940 WWII time frame or earlier.

Maybe someone can give a better idea of the time frame. Having the patent number would certainly help.

Here is a Robeson I found on eBay that fits into this equation.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Wayne

richard

Post by richard »

LongBlade wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 pm Richard - (Aaron) Burkinshaw is not from England (though he emigrated to the US - Is that what you meant by an English whittler?) and is quite collectable ... his shop started for a short time in CT during the mid 1800s but within a few years he moved up to Pepperell Mass where his shop remained until the early 1900s and though he died in 1880 his sons continued the cutlery...
thank you for the info lee. i knew he was born in sheffield england. i thought it was made there.so it seems it was made in pepperell mass, buy him or his sons?but one of the blades has CUTLERY CON .stamped on it ?
it is a well made knife.still walks and talks ,no blade wobble.i dont think it is worth much. as it is modified.but i like it as it is.
Attachments
003.JPG
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Bernard Levine discussed the Robeson patented technique of securing the handles without pins in his Whut-Izzit? column in KnifeWorld Magazine some time back. The discussion continued over at least one additional issue.

I do not have the magazines, but they might be available from the publisher.

He had the patent application and drawings.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

richard wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:53 pm
LongBlade wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 pm Richard - (Aaron) Burkinshaw is not from England (though he emigrated to the US - Is that what you meant by an English whittler?) and is quite collectable ... his shop started for a short time in CT during the mid 1800s but within a few years he moved up to Pepperell Mass where his shop remained until the early 1900s and though he died in 1880 his sons continued the cutlery...
thank you for the info lee. i knew he was born in sheffield england. i thought it was made there.so it seems it was made in pepperell mass, buy him or his sons?but one of the blades has CUTLERY CON .stamped on it ?
it is a well made knife.still walks and talks ,no blade wobble.i dont think it is worth much. as it is modified.but i like it as it is.
Looking at the handles and the blade partly marked Cutlery Con(n) makes me think the knife has been cobbled.. Burkinshaw stamps from his shop in Buryville Conn are almost nonexistent but I am sure somebody has one in a collection somewhere - the shop in Conn was in Buryville and they never stamped the blades with Cutlery... In Pepperell they had a few variations but none with Cutlery... Interestingly and as an aside I have a knife with 2 Burkinshaw blades in a skeleton frame with ivory but I think it was also cobbled - I've been meaning to post it as a cobbled example and will try to do so later today...

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”