Case Tony Bose Locking Lanny’s Clip coming soon

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Tony Bose Locking Lanny’s Clip coming soon

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Case just announced that their latest collaboration w/ Tony Bose is a Locking Lanny’s clip. Coming out this summer. This should be a good one.
Attachments
IMG_0290.jpeg
IMG_0290.jpeg (26.08 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
cody6268

Re: Case Tony Bose Locking Lanny’s Clip coming soon

Post by cody6268 »

Gonna be one expensive knife, no doubt. But, I like it, and will likely have to pass up a ton of stuff to get it. I have a Taylor's Eye Witness in this same basic pattern, but it's Barlow sized. This should be one strong workhorse. 154CM is definitely better than Tru-Sharp.

So many handle choices, and not a one looks silly. I'm actually tied between the canvas laminate you show, ebony, and bone.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Agreed the handle choices will be fine on this. I like locking knives over non locking. I could see myself buying one of these. The ebony should be pretty sweet too. I wouldn’t be surprised if the abalone breaks 600.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I can't figure out why these Tony Bose/Case "collaboration" knives are so expensive. As far as I can tell, Mr. Bose has a lot to do with the design of the knife, but Case is the company that actually makes it, according to the tang stamp.

So basically, it's just a Case that Mr. Bose provided guidance on so why is the cost 3-4X more than standard Case? I had a Case "Saddlehorn" knife that Mr. Bose designed, and it had "TB" on the tang stamp. That knife didn't cost anymore than a standard Case knife so what makes these so different?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

XX Case XX wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:42 pm I can't figure out why these Tony Bose/Case "collaboration" knives are so expensive. As far as I can tell, Mr. Bose has a lot to do with the design of the knife, but Case is the company that actually makes it, according to the tang stamp.

So basically, it's just a Case that Mr. Bose provided guidance on so why is the cost 3-4X more than standard Case? I had a Case "Saddlehorn" knife that Mr. Bose designed, and it had "TB" on the tang stamp. That knife didn't cost anymore than a standard Case knife so what makes these so different?

Me neither. I wonder how much the purchase and working of 154CM over 420HC (supposedly what Tru-Sharp is) adds to the cost of materials and workmanship of the knife? Given, Benchmade Mini Griptillian folders are about a hundred bucks, I kinda don't get it. And now, they're S30V and not 154CM.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I suppose value is in the eye of the beholder. Why does a Cadillac Escalade cost significantly more than a Chevy Tahoe? They’re both made on the same assembly line by the same workers and other than some cosmetics they have mostly the same parts.

I’m probably not going to explain this well, but there are two levels of knives having connection to Tony Bose that are produced by Case. It’s my understanding that the lower priced of the two are Tony Bose designs produced with pretty much standard Case steels and handle materials, on the factory production line. They cost about 10-20 % premium over standard Case production. I believe the aforementioned Saddlehorn was one of those. There have been several others like the “Teardrop jack”. I think on those you’re paying for a Bose design. Sorta like a “RealTree Edition” truck.

Why do the “Case/Bose Collaborations” cost more? The higher end Case/Bose collaborations use premium materials like 154CM steel (the just- announced lockback Lanny’s Clip is 154CM), and have hand finished blades (instead of tumble polished), milled liners, handcut/ground swages, pinned shields, etc. Features typically found on custom knives, but not typically found on modern factory-produced pocket knives. https://caseknives.com/blogs/news/case- ... w+Releases It’s my understanding these knives are produced by Case’s best cutlers. Depending on pattern and handle materials those Case/Bose collaborations sell for multiples of what standard current production Case knives sell for. A pure full custom knife made in Tony’s shop will cost several times more again than one of the Case/Bose collaborations.

To the casual observer the Case/Bose collaboration knives and standard factory production may seem the same. They aren’t. I own only one Case/Bose (a lockback whittler). It was a gift. It’s a superb knife, as flawless as you could find. But I have also “Coon fingered” a bunch. I can spot one without touching it, and in-hand there is no comparison. I’ve seen horror stories of blade wobble, etc. but haven’t seen any of that in knives I’ve personally examined.

Are they worth several times more? Some people apparently think so. Obviously some patterns sell better than others, as evidenced by some patterns still available on eBay, but others that can’t be found for sale anywhere. We all are entitled to spend our money as we see fit. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Nice informative post, Ken.

In addition to what Ken stated I've read that Tony Bose makes 2 of the pattern himself before Case gets started on production. One is fully assembled and the other one is in pieces. He sends them both to Case and they use those 2 samples to help them reproduce Tony's work as closely as possible.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I REALLY like the looks of that knife, AND I like 154CM. I wish CASE would offer it on more models. That said it’ll be week out if my wheel house I’m sure.

I do have three of the “low end” CASE TB knives and IMO they are definitely with the small premium they cost. The attention to detail, swedges, action blade grind is top notch. As good as the newer normal CASE knives are the TB ones are just that much better in my experience.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I just did a search on eBay for “Case Tony Bose” and got back a mixture of both types of knives, the lower end and the top end. To my eye anyway it’s easy to tell the difference (aside from the prices :lol: ). The Case/Bose collaborations just have a different look and different features.

And typical of eBay, there are a couple of listings where the seller, whether intentionally or out of ignorance, has an exorbitant high price on a “low-end” knife. Also saw one Case Select described by the seller as a Tony Bose - it’s not. Caveat emptor!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I did not realize the Locking Lanny would be high end. I was thinking of getting the wood one.

I have a TB Teardrop that is pretty nice. The blade placement and glued shield is slightly off.

Bob
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Wild guess.. 450.00/600.00.. ::facepalm::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Listed on SHC site.. WAAAAAAAYYYYYY out of my price range... WAAAAAYYYY!!

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jmh58 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:38 pm Listed on SHC site.. WAAAAAAAYYYYYY out of my price range... WAAAAAYYYY!!
Cheapest is $483. YIKES!!! And I thought the M4 HSS "Blackout" Sheepsfoot Mini Griptillian I am almost ready to pull the trigger on through Benchmade's Custom Shop was expensive--and that's "only" $160.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:39 pm
jmh58 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:38 pm Listed on SHC site.. WAAAAAAAYYYYYY out of my price range... WAAAAAYYYY!!
Cheapest is $483. YIKES!!! And I thought the M4 HSS "Blackout" Sheepsfoot Mini Griptillian I am almost ready to pull the trigger on through Benchmade's Custom Shop was expensive--and that's "only" $160.
Yep.. Way crazy in my world.. ::facepalm:: I try to stay under 100.00 if I can.. ::hmm::

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree - not in my league either. But it’s about what I expected to see the price to be, based on what previous Case/Bose collaborations have cost. I expect pearl or abalone will be over $700.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The abalone is 717. Chestnut bone is the lowest at 483, even less than the canvas Micarta which is 490. That’s a lot for a knife. Once you get into this range you have to start asking yourself if you are going to spend this much, then what else would that same money buy? I have to think this one over for awhile.
I noticed that SHC still has several other TB knives available, I guess these don’t sell that fast?

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”