SC505/8OT Norfolk Southern

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
cody6268

SC505/8OT Norfolk Southern

Post by cody6268 »

The Norfolk Southern Pocahontas Division (which, officially, was absorbed by the Virginia division in 2016, but still carries the name) covers my area. Headquarters are in the next town over from me, across the state line in Bluefield, WV (and is about a 20-minute drive from the house). This was a safety award in 1988. Pile side scale features the different railroads that became Norfolk Southern--I know of Virginian, Norfolk-Western (which was mostly what covered my area), and Southern off the top of my head. I have no idea what the "IRR" is. I presume it is in Illinois.

After passing up on the first Pocahontas Division knife I found (Boker Trapper, 1992 Safety Award), lost the auction on a second (a brand new 1990s Leatherman PST), I accidentally found this while looking for a Southern-States branded knife. It's a Scrimshaw-series based advertising knife (SC505), and was apparently a safety award in 1988. I think it uses the 8OT as a basis. I think it's a carbon steel knife, so probably going to need to be a bit careful with handling and have to keep something to protect it on the scales.

I offered $30 for it, and the seller accepted. Feeling it's a little bit high now, noticing what appears to be some corrosion on the bolsters due to the felt (can it be easily cleaned off?). I felt like $20 was fair after seeing that not long after I made the offer.
s-l1600.jpgSNW1.jpg
s-l1600.jpgSNW2.jpg
bladecollectorr

Re: SC505/8OT Norfolk Southern

Post by bladecollectorr »

Nice! There are at least two other Schrade Pocahontas Division knives you might want to watch out for.

1986 Pocahontas 01.jpg
1986 Pocahontas 02.jpg

1987 Pocahontas 01.jpg
1987 Pocahontas 02.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
cody6268

Re: SC505/8OT Norfolk Southern

Post by cody6268 »

Guess those two are on my list. Currently watching an '87 I just found. Interestingly enough, seller is in my area this time. I've also seen that logo used to refer to the town of Pocahontas (which is in my county), from which (and their coal that helped create the N&W) the Pocahontas Division gets its name.Guess I've dug myself into another hole....

The cool thing about those you show is that both the Pocahontas and the Powhatan were both passenger trains in the N&W fleet.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”