GECs on eBay

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

GECs on eBay

Post by 1967redrider »

Let me premise this, I'm not a GEC aficionado or even close.

Today some GEC knives were popping up on eBay listings I was checking out, some around $100, so I was trying to check out a Pemberton. Well, the wise-acre listing the knife didn't include the closed length, which is a pertinent, important piece of information in my book. Looked through several other listings before I finally found a true, honest salesperson stating the knife is 2 3/4" closed. To me, it seemed like the ones not listening the closed length were doing so purposefully due to it's small size.

Anyone else run into this type of thing? Thanks for your replies. ::handshake::

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GECs on eBay

Post by jerryd6818 »

And how many listings have you seen where the seller simply says in the comment section --- "Look at the pictures"

Closed length is commonly left out.
Comments on "snap" are almost nonexistent.

Grrrrr

But it doesn't keep me from continuing to buy. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I think if you want the specs of a factory knife, then go to the factory web site and get them. What I want from an ebay listing is functional and cosmetic condition, and good pictures.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

For a long time I've thought about starting a thread with the same complaint but without mentioning brands. I doubt that sellers are hiding the length of their knife. More likely they think anyone who would bid must already know the length of all of that manufacturer's patterns or they are too inconsiderate to type a few words to help their potential customers. I know the majority of Case pattern lengths, a few Queen patterns, and a few GEC patterns but certainly not the length of every knife that looks tempting. The length of most Case patterns is in the research section here but I do not know of a source for other brands. I tried to find a GEC pattern length yesterday. GEC.com was down for repair and I could not find it on GEC.net. I gave up and did not bid. I never bid on a knife without knowing how long it is. If they want more bids then it is in the seller's own interest to provide that vital piece of information.
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:15 am And how many listings have you seen where the seller simply says in the comment section --- "Look at the pictures"

Closed length is commonly left out.
Comments on "snap" are almost nonexistent.

Grrrrr

But it doesn't keep me from continuing to buy. ::shrug::
Same thoughts here. If they don't mention the blades are tight, I suspect they have a good reason for omitting that, too. I've never been able to see snap or wobble in a picture.

Grrrr
geocash
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oops. Post deleted. Post only semi relevant to thread. :oops:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

If you have good pictures, then you have a picture of the model number stamped on the knife!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I too am annoyed by auctions that don't mention snap and blade tightness. They frequently just give you "look at the pictures for the best description". When I see the business ends of the springs riding below the edge of the frame and/or the pin heads showing, and sunken below the surface of the bolsters, I think I know why they aren't mentioning these things. But, then there are sellers who just don't know squat about knives. At least once, when I asked about snap, the reply I got back was "what is snap?". :x
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Closed OAL is something I try to remember to mention in my description, but I forget sometimes. Which is why I always list my knives w/ a few pictures next to a ruler. I line up one end as perfectly as I can with the start of the ruler so that it’s obvious how long it is. This is my way of being sure that the length is included if I forget, which I do and it’s not intentional.
Many’s a time someone will contact me about the length and they didn’t look at any picture but the first one. I know this because they often come back with this as the reason they didn’t see it.
I will try to remember to include this in all my descriptions in the future.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

A lot of sellers on Ebay are deceptive in their listings and pictures. I would think that most people looking for a knife on ebay would know what the are looking for. Now condition can be hard to tell in a picture as stated and you have to rely on the seller's opinion and honesty. You can just google GEC and the name and/or pattern # and find all the info you should need. GEC.net also has this info, if you take the time to look for it.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Minutes ago, I was looking at Frank's Classic Knives' site and noticed that he had a few Stag Pembertons available for $110 each.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I forgot to add that the GEC website was down. ::facepalm::

Thanks for your replies. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”