Ordering from Japan?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
cody6268

Ordering from Japan?

Post by cody6268 »

I'm thinking about getting a Sakai fixed blade, for a pretty good price (less than half what they are normally). Only problem is that it's coming from Japan. I have bought a knife from a guy in Germany (Swiss Army Knife, one of the big 111mms), and it all went well. Should I have any worries? This a fixed blade, albeit a bit tactical looking. It's not like the Daiwa Fish Knives I've been looking at, which are most likely, not importable due to basically being butterfly knives (though they more, or less, copy the Hackman).

It's the Sakai Sabi Knife 8, which is a quite sizeable knife, with a little over a 5" blade and 10" overall. It is H1 steel, and uses the same serrations as Spyderco (partially because Sakai makes Spyderco). It should be a good outdoor user.
hannami-o.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: Ordering from Japan?

Post by kootenay joe »

I cannot see why there would be any problems at all. Lots of knives get shipped from Japan to U.S.A. and the knife you show is a 'regular' fixed blade, no restrictions on it.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:53 am I'm thinking about getting a Sakai fixed blade, for a pretty good price (less than half what they are normally). Only problem is that it's coming from Japan. I have bought a knife from a guy in Germany (Swiss Army Knife, one of the big 111mms), and it all went well. Should I have any worries? This a fixed blade, albeit a bit tactical looking. It's not like the Daiwa Fish Knives I've been looking at, which are most likely, not importable due to basically being butterfly knives (though they more, or less, copy the Hackman).

It's the Sakai Sabi Knife 8, which is a quite sizeable knife, with a little over a 5" blade and 10" overall. It is H1 steel, and uses the same serrations as Spyderco (partially because Sakai makes Spyderco). It should be a good outdoor user.

hannami-o.jpg
My experience is with buying from Japanese Knife Direct. I have had wonderful service and a great shipping experience. They do tend to use DHL and require a signature. Means you have to plan you day to sign for it when it comes. But that is better than having it stolen. If they are reputable, you shouldn’t have any issues.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Can't go wrong with DHL Cody. I ordered a bunch of mtb part a few months ago, they were the freighters. Everything went to expectations, no problems at all. Maybe just the wait, but shipping cost was reasonable and packaging was good.
All-in-all couldn't recommend the higher ::tu:: .
Willy :D
P.S. Looks like a really nice knife, how much do they run about cost wise?
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I got a knife from Japan not too long ago and it came DHL. It even arrived ahead of the scheduled delivery date.

BTW Willy did you just change your AVATAR?
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 am Can't go wrong with DHL Cody. I ordered a bunch of mtb part a few months ago, they were the freighters. Everything went to expectations, no problems at all. Maybe just the wait, but shipping cost was reasonable and packaging was good.
About $85-90. I found it on "the big auction site" browsing Sakai knives. I was mostly looking at reasonably sized folders--the money clips, as well as the little keychain framelocks that look like a fish. I thought this one was more like 6" or so OAL, so I put a bid in. Kydex sheath with Tech-Lok should be pretty thin, and mountable in just about any way imaginable. The seller had apparently started with just a one cent starting bid, and it was still just a couple bucks.

I have ordered a few Tomica model cars and Kyosho Mini Z parts that came from Japan. I usually paid a little extra for tracking. Those that weren't tracked took a month to show up. It's just when ordering something that legally, can and is often considered a weapon, is when it gets a bit nerve-wracking.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 pm I got a knife from Japan not too long ago and it came DHL. It even arrived ahead of the scheduled delivery date.

Yes sir Dave, decided it was time for a little freshening :) .
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:24 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 am Can't go wrong with DHL Cody. I ordered a bunch of mtb part a few months ago, they were the freighters. Everything went to expectations, no problems at all. Maybe just the wait, but shipping cost was reasonable and packaging was good.
About $85-90. I found it on "the big auction site" browsing Sakai knives. I was mostly looking at reasonably sized folders--the money clips, as well as the little keychain framelocks that look like a fish. I thought this one was more like 6" or so OAL, so I put a bid in. Kydex sheath with Tech-Lok should be pretty thin, and mountable in just about any way imaginable. The seller had apparently started with just a one cent starting bid, and it was still just a couple bucks.

I have ordered a few Tomica model cars and Kyosho Mini Z parts that came from Japan. I usually paid a little extra for tracking. Those that weren't tracked took a month to show up. It's just when ordering something that legally, can and is often considered a weapon, is when it gets a bit nerve-wracking.
Ok, pretty decent price for a high quality knife and sheath combo, i'm going to go take a quick snoop around to see what I can scrounge up.
Winston Churchill

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:44 pm
dlr110 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 pm I got a knife from Japan not too long ago and it came DHL. It even arrived ahead of the scheduled delivery date.

Yes sir Dave, decided it was time for a little freshening :) .
Good choice! ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you ::handshake:: . Ole Imperial really speak to me, so I thought these 2 would make suitable candidates.
Winston Churchill

Return to “General Knife Discussion”