Simple Carving Patterns wanted

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
keithlong

Simple Carving Patterns wanted

Post by keithlong »

I am a long time whittler that is venturing into carving. I am looking for some simple carving patterns to get started wit. I will be happy to buy them, just let me know what you have. Thanks
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Simple Carving Patterns wanted

Post by carvin don »

Keith,
There is a nice little book you can buy for $12.95 that is called "First Projects For Woodcarvers" by Larry Green & Mike Altman. It includes a pattern for a cowboy boot, dog and nativity scene. It has step-by-step instructions with photos and a section on tools and sharpening and safety. It is well worth the money. http://woodcarvers.com/bk095.htm Also, pick up a copy of "Carving Magazine" or "Woodcarving Illustrated" as they offer patterns and instructional photos as well. I believe these will be of great help to start with rather than just acquiring patterns. Once you see how the process works, just about any drawing you see that catches your eye can be turned into a pattern.

Since most carvers carve from the "profile" view of a pattern, books, magazines, newspapers are all great sources for patterns.
Don
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Thanks Don, for the info. I will be going to town on Monday to see if i can find one of those magizines or books.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
TM

Post by TM »

This is one of the books I recently picked up. Lots of info, originally published in the 1930's. I wish some of the photos and diagrams were a little larger, but still a good book - especially if you're intrested in the subject.

I'll try to scan some of the pages and if they look ok expanded, I'll post.
Attachments
book.jpg
book.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 2441 times

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”