The right blades

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
TM

The right blades

Post by TM »

OK ya'll - how about some opinions.....

Any knife can be used to whittle and carve with, but what do you prefer?

I have found that a coping and sheepsfoot don't really do much for me. I seem to work better with a clip, drop point and spear. A spey works good too, especially for detail work.
keithlong

Re: The right blades

Post by keithlong »

As for me, I like a sheepsfoot blade for whittling, just now getting into carving a little. I have started carving out a ball in a cage, and have used a sheepsfoot blade to carve out the basic squares and now I am working on the ball itself and have gotten out the old faithful Hen and Rooster congress with two smaller pen blades to make the ball round because i have to get into the cage to make the ball and have to use smaller blades. I guess it depends on what you are carving or whittling on. Just my opinion and what is working for me on this project.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: The right blades

Post by carvin don »

For whittlin' I prefer nice narrow blades. I find the coping blade (modified to a point) and a modified clip blade very useful. Pen blades are also nice for whittlin'. I would say you can do alot with any shaped blade as long as it is SHARP. But the more different shaped blades you have the more uses you will find for them and the easier it will be to get into those hard to reach places. Most of all, keep your blades SHARP. Nothing will discourage a novice more, than carvin' with a dull blade.

The first pic is of the blades I like to "whittle" with.
The bottom pic is of a few carving knives I have.
IMG_7930.jpg
IMG_7936.jpg
Don

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”