Kitty Flanigan Explains Cloud Computing

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Kitty Flanigan Explains Cloud Computing

Post by jerryd6818 »

Four minutes; 39 seconds

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Kitty Flanigan Explains Cloud Computing

Post by dlr110 »

No words ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::tu:: Exactly what I already thought. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:16 am ::tu:: Exactly what I already thought. :lol:

Ken

X 2 ::rotflol:: ::clapping::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I absolutely despise hearing people talk about "The Cloud" like it's some mystical place up in the air where your data is stored. My favorite response is "It's some server farm in a cornfield in Kansas". Only partially true. It's probably not in a cornfield in Kansas.

Miss Kitty actually explained it pretty well and managed to weave some humor into a very dry subject. Here are a couple of images of "The Cloud".

This is what "The Cloud" really is. Racks and racks of servers (small powerful computers very similar in function to the one on your desk).
The Cloud.jpg

Found this: "How many servers does it take to power Amazon's huge cloud computing operation? Amazon doesn't say, but a researcher estimates that Amazon Web Services is using at least 454,400 servers in seven data center hubs around the globe."
amazon-racks.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I just spent two weeks inside the CLOUD in the Washington D.C. area.
No sir, didn't like it...
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I do not want any of my 'stuff' backed up in a cloud, yet somehow data from my computer goes there. All of these servers consume electrical power which leaves a huge carbon footprint that is destroying the atmosphere. It is all so unnecessary. Human arrogance and stupidity to the nth degree.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Can we safely delete the cloud from our computers?

It is automatically loaded with every upgrade.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

They can stuff the cloud in the you know where, I don't want it.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::drool:: IMHO Apple makes it particularly difficult to avoid using their “iCloud”. If you want to transfer content from an old iPhone to a new one I’m told the only way to do it is upload to the cloud the content to be transferred, then download it from the cloud to the new device. In fact my wife recently got a new phone to replace her old iPhone 6 (which Apple has ceased to support, making an upgrade almost mandatory). AT&T informed her they no longer transfer content for customers and the only way to do so is via the Apple cloud.

To my dismay she agreed to this and allowed her content to be uploaded and then downloaded to her new phone. ::dang:: “I wanted my pictures of my grandchildren transferred.”

I since learned pictures can be transferred without iCloud via an Apple Mac, which I do not have. There must be a better way to do that.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

These things, and the ludicrous amount of hype,
is reason enough to detest Apple products.
::disgust::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 pm
I since learned pictures can be transferred without iCloud via an Apple Mac, which I do not have. There must be a better way to do that.

Ken
Just one more reason I don't use Apple products. That entire lash-up is proprietary to the max. Transfering files is so simple on a PC or Android device. ::huff::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:42 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Ken
Just one more reason I don't use Apple products. That entire lash-up is proprietary to the max. Transfering files is so simple on a PC or Android device. ::huff::
Exactly. I have a BlackBerry KeyOne phone, with an Android operating system. I back it up on my PC. Transferring pictures and other content is simple and easy using free BlackBerry software that you load onto your PC (or Mac). The phone has a great camera and a real honest to goodness keyboard! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

That was hilarious, but also a little bit scary, thanks for posting it, Jerry. ::tu::
We as consumers are being constantly pushed to do everything online: banking, shopping, filing income tax returns etc. And yet nobody can absolutely guarantee the security of any of it. I balk at it all, as much as I can. Although, we all use it, all of our posts on this forum are stored on a server somewhere.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

How long will digital pictures last ? Surely at some point the digital information bits that create the picture will become corrupted and picture will no longer appear ?
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Good question. The lifespan of the digital bits which make up the image (the software) is theoretically infinite. However the lifespan of media on which the software (information needed to create the image) is stored varies depending on what it is. CDs, DVDs, magnetic tape, hard disk drives etc have lifespans ranging from 2 to 5 years, up to over 20 years. We all know these can be damaged by handling (scratches, heat etc) such that they are not “playable”. Some newer mediums, like M-disks (made from metal instead of synthetics) have been theorized to last over 1000 years, but they too are subject to damage.

In summary the digital image will likely be good indefinitely. Whether it can be read or not is a different story, dependent on the media on which it is stored. Just as 90+ year old images captured on celluloid film media are being restored today, I’m sure future technologies will be able to recover images from today’s media. If you have enough money to pay for it. ::hmm::

That’s my layman’s explanation - somebody that knows more (an EE) might explain it better or correct this if I’m mistaken. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Ken. I know even less about computers than i do about knives. Computers and how to operate them is the only thing i have had difficulty trying to understand and learn. Whatever part of the brain that is needed i seem to lack.
Digital information is just a huge string of 'on' or 'off' instructions. If some of these 'instructions' disappear then the information or picture cannot be shown. So if stored properly they do not deteriorate spontaneously ?
When we all used film we would get the pictures printed and then keep them in an album or shoe box, etc. They are good for at least 100 years.
Now everyone's pictures are on a computer and i bet over time many of these pictures will get 'lost' because of computer failure and people not backing up their pictures.
I think soon there will be many adults who have no pictures of themselves as babies and children. Us old people have these pictures of ourselves on pieces of paper that we have saved.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

You guys crack me up.

I imagine there was once a caveman named Oog. Oog was a member of a tribe of cavemen that were all perfectly happy. Every day they went out of their caves and tried to find food. Some days they found lots of food, and other days they found none. In the last part of Spring, Summer and partly through Fall, they had no trouble finding plenty of food. However, as Fall became Winter, there was simply not enough food for the tribe. In some Winters, many died. In others, only a few died. All the members of the tribe agreed that this was simply how the world worked.

However, Oog was a clever fellow - in fact, he was the most clever member of his tribe. One Summer Oog had a new idea. He had discovered that the grain that was a staple of the tribe's food supply grew from the little seeds of the grain that the tribe went out every day to collect. As Summer wore on, the tribe often had to travel farther and farther to find grain and game. It occurred to Oog that if he was to actually spread some of the seeds he had gathered around his cave, he wouldn't have to travel so far to get his grain.

When the other members of the tribe saw Oog gathering grain and NOT immediately eating it, they wondered if Oog was sick. But Oog said he wasn't sick, he was going to store the grain and plant it around his cave. The other tribe members laughed and laughed. They told Oog he was crazy and that this would never work. They told Oog that the grain would rot and be ruined. They told him that he and his family would starve. They told him that the tribe had lived for many generations without doing this and his crazy idea was completely unnecessary.

Then, when the snow came early that year, the other members of the tribe that were hungry went to Oog, who had a cave full of stored grain. They killed Oog, stole all his grain, ate it all in the next day, then within a few weeks they all still starved and died.

This is why "farming" is not called "ooging"...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Suitcase, what is it about the subject and the responses that cracks you up and how is your prehistoric story relevant? I'm not condemning you, I'm asking for information. I didn't get the relevance of your post. Splain it to me Lucy.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

You poor PC/Android users. One day you too will drink the Kool-aid and come over to the dark side!

Once you go Mac, you never go back!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:31 am Suitcase, what is it about the subject and the responses that cracks you up and how is your prehistoric story relevant? I'm not condemning you, I'm asking for information. I didn't get the relevance of your post. Splain it to me Lucy.
If you have to explain a funny story, then it really wasn't funny. I am a failure - again... :D

I'm suggesting that whenever a new technology is introduced, there will always be a portion of society that does not see the advantages that technology brings and that believe the new technology is unnecessary or even harmful. And, I'm also suggesting that not understanding a new technology can sometimes make people react negatively toward the people bringing that new technology forward.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Colonel26 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:53 am You poor PC/Android users. One day you too will drink the Kool-aid and come over to the dark side!

:lol: That’s what the Apple-ists all say. It’s a cult!

Actually, my wife has an iPhone and an iPad. They’re both gifts from our son who is a cult member. :lol: I use the iPad quite a lot. Her iPhone is usually within arms reach of me (as is she). We have the same carrier and share the same WiFi router. I can attest that my BlackBerry has a better radio than her iPhone - I can get a signal where she can’t on both cellular and WiFi. When someone sends us both the same text, I receive it several seconds to sometimes minutes before she does. We both agree the BlackBerry has a better camera (her new iPhone XR not withstanding as she just got it last week so haven’t had time to evaluate the camera much). However when my daughter-in- law (another cult member) was here at Thanksgiving (with her new iPhone 11) we were both taking pictures at the same time. I sent her some of the pictures I took. She commented “your phone does have a really good camera.” And I like a real keyboard, not a virtual one (actually the BlackBerry has a virtual one too - I just never turn it on).

Anecdotal, yes. But my next phone will probably not be an Apple. Did I mention I like my keyboard? :lol:

Can’t comment on the Mac as I’ve never had one, so don’t have any experiences to share regarding that.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:25 am
jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:31 am Suitcase, what is it about the subject and the responses that cracks you up and how is your prehistoric story relevant? I'm not condemning you, I'm asking for information. I didn't get the relevance of your post. Splain it to me Lucy.
If you have to explain a funny story, then it really wasn't funny. I am a failure - again... :D

I'm suggesting that whenever a new technology is introduced, there will always be a portion of society that does not see the advantages that technology brings and that believe the new technology is unnecessary or even harmful. And, I'm also suggesting that not understanding a new technology can sometimes make people react negatively toward the people bringing that new technology forward.
Don't take it too hard. Keep in mind that I'm not the brightest star in the sky.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:30 am
Colonel26 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:53 am You poor PC/Android users. One day you too will drink the Kool-aid and come over to the dark side!

:lol: That’s what the Apple-ists all say. It’s a cult!

Actually, my wife has an iPhone and an iPad. They’re both gifts from our son who is a cult member. :lol: I use the iPad quite a lot. Her iPhone is usually within arms reach of me (as is she). We have the same carrier and share the same WiFi router. I can attest that my BlackBerry has a better radio than her iPhone - I can get a signal where she can’t on both cellular and WiFi. When someone sends us both the same text, I receive it several seconds to sometimes minutes before she does. We both agree the BlackBerry has a better camera (her new iPhone XR not withstanding as she just got it last week so haven’t had time to evaluate the camera much). However when my daughter-in- law (another cult member) was here at Thanksgiving (with her new iPhone 11) we were both taking pictures at the same time. I sent her some of the pictures I took. She commented “your phone does have a really good camera.” And I like a real keyboard, not a virtual one (actually the BlackBerry has a virtual one too - I just never turn it on).

Anecdotal, yes. But my next phone will probably not be an Apple. Did I mention I like my keyboard? :lol:

Can’t comment on the Mac as I’ve never had one, so don’t have any experiences to share regarding that.

Ken
Rofl! You’re surrounded!

I resisted a long time on the phone thing. I had two android phones which I liked a lot, from two different big name companies, crap out on me mid contract and costed about as much to fix with warranty as it was to move up to an iPhone. So for me it was a hardware issue more than anything.

Now that said, for work stuff the iPhone has been much easier than the android was. It just works easier and simpler with the programs and such that we use. The androids always seem to have more hoops to jump through on what we’re doing.

As far as the Mac computers, Windows 10 sent us over the edge to Mac. But once we joined the cult we were in completely.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

All this electronic talk????? Does no one have at least a few kind words to say over poor Oog? ::shrug::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”