I got ripped off!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
TPK

I got ripped off!

Post by TPK »

Hi folks,

Sence you can be fined in Germany for ruining a person or companies reputation, I will not say the name of the store.

It's a bit embarrassing but I got ripped off. ::facepalm:: Back in October my wife offered to buy me a knife for my birthday. I had found a LionSteel BestMan at an online discount sporting goods store for an unbelievable 60€ plus 5€ shipping. The store web site was in perfect German language & they had a very large selection of sporting goods so with no further research I ordered the knife & paid per credit card. Lucky for me, the card has a 500€ limit & the knife put me right up at the limit! The one time in life that having my card maxed out has paid off. Anyways, 2 weeks latter I recieved a cheap necklace from this "store". The package said that the value was 2$. The address was in a huge land where they eat lots of rice. ;-) I contacted their "customer service" and explained to them that I had recieved the wrong product. It's a long long story that went on for 2 weeks. In the mean time, I was informed by my bank that some off shore company in a huge land where they eat lots of rice was continually trying to charge things to my credit card & that they had canceled my card. In the mean time, this "store" keeps wanting to refund me money. First 20%, then 50% & last but not least, the whole 100%. All I needed to do was give them my new card information. ::handshake:: Of course, I gave it to them. ::woot:: LOL! Of course I did not give it to them. In the mean time, I tried to do some research on this "store" but found out absolutely nothing about them.

The moral of the story is this. ::hmm:: If you find a deal online that's just to good to be true, be careful! ::uc::
No matter how impressively well done the web site is, be careful! ::uc::
Try to research them before you buy anything. If you can't find out anything about them you should reconsider your decision to buy. ::hmm:: And, if it is still to tempting to resist then I hope your card is almost maxed out like mine was. I got off "lucky" this time around. ::teary_eyes::

Take care and be safe when buying Online. ::tu::
Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I got ripped off!

Post by dlr110 »

Been there, done that, and I know how you feel. After that I wouldn't even order anything from ebay or Amazon for a long time. I guess you can take heart that others of us have done the same thing. Take care.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

A year ago I found some Case knives on a website whose initials are WM. About $20 each. I ordered two, a friend ordered one. When they came, were Chinese of some other brand. I tried to complain, but WM said -- oh, not our problem. Take it up with the third-party vendor (a place in FL). No way to reach them. I finally got an explanation that oh, sometimes the bar codes get mixed up, Still no refund. I threw in the towel and gave the knives to my friend who gave them away. What do they say -- if it looks too good to be true ?
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sorry to read this,Tom. You also have to watch out for fake/counterfeited knives that normally cost hundreds of $$$ for a fraction of the price from that "huge land where they eat a lot of rice." ::nod:: You do get a working knife that looks the part, but if you buy a Zebra you shouldn't get a white horse with freshly painted stripes that wash off when it rains. ::mdm::

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

:( :( :(
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I know the words to that song and I sang it once or twice.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I hate scammers - they ruin it for everyone. Bait & switch scams are increasing. They advertise a product for an excellent price, then they ship you something else entirely. Why do they ship you anything at all? So that they can generate shipment tracking information to make you think your product is on the way and to prove to Paypal or the credit card companies that they did actually ship you something, and the weight of the package will be similar to the legit item. When you ultimately complain, they will offer you a percentage of what you paid. Why not? The item they shipped you is something very cheap. You paid them $500, they offer you $300, and the item they shipped you cost them $10. They just made $190.

Stealing the credit card info is an added scam. You have to be very, very careful with your card these days. My wife just had her card data stolen. Luckily, our card has good fraud detection and they shut the card down very quickly, notified her and immediately credited back the fraud charges. There were 6 charges each about $200 that occured within a few minutes. I just can't seem to get across to my lovely and smart wife that you shouldn't click on links in "deal" emails you receive. You should always ignore the link and go directly to the vendor's website - and you should only shop at well-known online vendors. She is ALWAYS a sucker for a "great deal" and she has provided her primary email address to so many "deal" and "coupon" websites that her email is choked with spam. *sigh*
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

My bank card has very good fraud protection.
When I purchase something online from a site I've never dealt with,I use a prepaid debit card loaded just a few cents above the price of the item.
Once when I bought an item from an unknown site,I checked the balance left on the debit card.it was just three cents but the crooks still took it.
Tim
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: I never buy on line, especially not using our credit card. We've had our card stolen twice within a month, since our new card has a chip and our security pin number we haven't had any trouble. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Tom, sorry to hear of your troubles in "riceland."
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Sorry that happened to you, Tom. "Spoofing" is becoming more and more prevalent...especially during this time of year. I don't click on or buy ANYTHING in any email ads I get. As TwoFlowers stated; one should never use an emailed link to conduct a transaction, even if you trust the actual site itself. Always delete the email ad, and go directly to the site to see if they are actually having a 'deal' on the interested item. It may take a bit longer, but you'll be protecting yourself...just in case.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

One time I bought a knife from a small online store that I knew nothing about. They seemed legit and nobody else had this knife in stock and I was tired of waiting so I ordered it. It was about a $120 knife. Almost a month went by and nothing was shipped and communication didn't happen from their end. My payment was never ''claimed'' and I got refunded after the money was up in the air for a while. As soon as I got my money back I went and ordered the same knife from an actual dealer that had it in stock by then. It was very strange how nothing ever happened after I paid but at least it was not some big stink.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”