A pocket knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Zigzag

A pocket knife

Post by Zigzag »

What would you recommend as a pocket knife. I am looking for not china made knife.
Thanks so much.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A pocket knife

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy Zigzag, ::welcome:: to AAPK!
You have asked a loaded question! You'll probably get lots of suggestions. What do you intend to do with a knife? That may give an idea about size and type of blade. Without knowing any specifics, something like a Case Mini Trapper might fill the bill, USA made, choice of handle materials, not too big and not too small. You could probably carry in any attire. There is a thread here on the AAPK forum, "Ode to the 07" which more than describes this handy sized knife. Case is not the only company to manufacture this pattern and of course there are plenty of good used knives available that most times can be purchased for less than new price. Got to be careful, know the new prices that are listed in some of the well known knife retailers, Shepherd Hills, Smoky Mountain Knife Works, etc. Checking this will keep one from pay retail and over for a used knife. There are a bunch of AAPK knife stores, check the top of the page left side, you'll see "buy and sell". As far as I know these dealers are pretty straight shooters. There is also "Knives for sale" by individuals in the Knife Commerce section, about the 3rd section from the top where some good knives are listed, every thing from low end to way up there is listed. At times we see a knife that looks just like a common everyday pattern but it will have very high price. Further study might reveal what makes it so special, that's when you step into collecting rather than just having a decent pocket knife to carry as a tool.
Be careful this knife business is an addiction. You'll find knives will generate discussions just like the Ford and Chevy debates.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Zigzag wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:59 am What would you recommend as a pocket knife. I am looking for not china made knife.
Thanks so much.
I would recommend a usa schrade old timer 8ot large stockman, or a schrade old timer 34ot stockman if you want a medium size knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Zigzag

Post by Zigzag »

Thanks for replying. I want a edc pocket knife. It should not be made in china, can be made in any other country,
should be easy to open, have a sharp steel blade and a strong sturdy handle not a cheap handle , a handle that is easy to grip and does not come off.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

SmartSelect_20191206-011049_Chrome.jpg
::tu:: Buck 301 Stockman $60. Bulletproof knife, carried mine over 15 years. Stainless steel blades 420 steel Derlin handles. Made in USA lifetime guarantee.
ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Zigzag

Post by Zigzag »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:29 am
Zigzag wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:59 am What would you recommend as a pocket knife. I am looking for not china made knife.
Thanks so much.
I would recommend a usa schrade old timer 8ot large stockman, or a schrade old timer 34ot stockman if you want a medium size knife.
Do not want made in china knife.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Zigzag wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:09 am
Thanks so much.
There are still lots of good USA made Old Timers and Uncle Henrys available on eBay and also in the AAPK stores for very reasonable prices. You can often find them for less than they sold for new before Schrade went bankrupt in 2004.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Zigzag wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:09 am
Thanks so much.
Schrades were made in the USA for 100 years, from 1904-2004. I recommend a USA schrade, not the chinese knives with schrades name on them, those are not real schrades.

Here's an example of what I'm recommending. 8OT on top and 34OT on the bottom. These are both USA schrades, bought for about $12 each on ebay and they are in like new condition. If you have an idea what to look for it's easy to get good deals on schrades like these. There are so many still out there and they are good knives.

IMG_3622_Original.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Welcome!
My favorite pattern is the stockman - three different blades can handle just about anything.
Range in size from a couple inches to over four inches. My favorite is anything between 3 1/2 to 4.
My favorite brand is Case - USA made, great quality.

All that doesn't make it right or the rule, but that's me.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”