Case Double bladed Greenbone Hunter 6265 SAB.....

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
LeftyKnifeGuy

Case Double bladed Greenbone Hunter 6265 SAB.....

Post by LeftyKnifeGuy »

Looking for some assistance,

Greenbone hunter, year 1965-1969, "near mint" to "mint", sabre ground blade & skinner blade, has lanyard hole......would a knife such as this have a value of $700 ? I know pictures would help, but don't have any that show the knife with any clairity. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
jlw257

Re: Case Double bladed Greenbone Hunter 6265 SAB.....

Post by jlw257 »

If it’s a USA era knife it’s either bone or wood but not Greenbone, not worth $700 even if it’s on a XX Frame
Just my opinion
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree with Larry. True greenbone is found in Tested era and I’ve seen a rare few XX’s. I’ve never seen a greenbone from the XX U.S.A. or more recent periods. That doesn’t stop sellers from saying their knives are “greenbone”, unfortunately.

Caveat emptor!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
LeftyKnifeGuy

Post by LeftyKnifeGuy »

Here's the only photo of the knife. I was in a hurry during the bidding process and did limited amount of research. I won the bid. Contacted seller on the 3rd day after close of the auction because he/she hadn't completed processing the payment thru PayPal. Answered back the next day stating there had been a huge mistake. The knife was suppose to have been listed for $700 and he was taking it off. He wound up cancelling the sell a day after that. Needless to say I responded about commitments and due to the amount of time the auction was ongoing, there was ample time to take action and not wait till the end of the auction and refuse the sale. In the end though the seller did me, and them, a favor and saved us a lot of hassle.

After looking closer at the photo and the information y'all provided, the knife has either been rescaled or at least the main blade was replaced. Most likely rescaled is my thought. Appreciate y'alls response to my inquiry. OH YEAH....."Caveat emptor!" is correct.
s-l1600-8.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks like a 5265 to me. Price and Zalesky say no USA era green bone but stag would be in the $275 to $350 range . . . unless it's a Second Cut Stag, then $1,500.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looks like stag to me too. A clear close-up picture would be nice.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

I agree Lefty, you dodged a bullet on that one. That is Stag and as earlier posts stated true greenbone was not in that era.
Hillbilly70

Post by Hillbilly70 »

Definitely stag! Almost looks like it could have dots
Hard to tell from pic!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”