Schrade switchblade celluloid - repair, remold, or replace with a different material

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
BFORSE

Re: Schrade switchblade celluloid - repair, remold, or replace with a different material

Post by BFORSE »

Thanks glennbad, I had to go really slow; partly because I was nervous. I’m sure everyone here has boogered something up at one time or another; and I’ve had my fair share in the past, and even though I have learned from my mistakes, I honesty was shaking on some of the more treacherous parts. ::paranoid::
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade switchblade celluloid - repair, remold, or replace with a different material

Post by edge213 »

BFORSE wrote:Thanks glennbad, I had to go really slow; partly because I was nervous. I’m sure everyone here has boogered something up at one time or another; and I’ve had my fair share in the past, and even though I have learned from my mistakes, I honesty was shaking on some of the more treacherous parts. ::paranoid::
Great fix.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Thanks edge213! I’m really happy with the way it turned out. It also gives me another throwaway knife I can piddle with.
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

WOW, great job. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Thanks, bighomer!
St. John Chapter 1
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Nice job! Looks good! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

If anyone is wondering whatever happened to the schrade double switchblade; right now he is on the back burner. I have been volunteered to design and build a 12’x6’ chicken coop and run with all the bells and whistles. The motivation for completing this project first is the chirping box of chicks in my kitchen. :roll: Some friendly advice: build the coop BEFORE you take your kids to Tractor Supply. :mrgreen:
St. John Chapter 1
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

That's OK! We're a patient bunch! I hate it when other projects interrupt the important stuff though!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Thanks Byrd! Well, I’ve pretty much finished the chicken coop and painted a cat portrait by the time I started my week long thanksgiving break.
5867E8D7-86E2-4C59-9291-C525C0D8D94F.jpeg
So, originally I had decided to go back with faux ivory, then it was suggested that I go back with bone. I liked the bone idea better. I knew this would be a massive undertaking but I also knew that I would learn a lot in the process... this was definitely not a plug and play project and I didn’t have much to work with.
9236D2C9-873E-4BE7-A165-7A4A4990DBE7.jpeg
I decided to use one bone slab as a test piece and use the other nicer looking bone as my slabs. I had just enough width to cut two pieces from one slab. My thinking was that the two slabs would be, for the most part, identical in grain and color.
83ADB2A1-AAAA-44C4-A543-5022C1F7E921.jpeg
Of course I took my time and sawed it but hand so I wouldn’t be in a hurry and make a mistake with the band saw. So that took some time. I also had some mineral spirits left over from painting so I through the knife in to loosen up any old grease oil and lint.
3D0F072B-787A-484B-9547-645E2C8F13F8.jpeg
80+ years and you could make soup of what settled out from that old pocket knife.
B88C253D-7870-499B-86FE-34326C9B4006.jpeg
So while the knife cooking in the mineral spirits I tried my best to compensate for the shrinkage and tape together the remnants of the celluloid handle for a template.
8A916695-C9EF-4002-8559-3C22519D909C.jpeg
I then taped the template to the bone slabs and use a one-sixteenths bit to drill the pin holes.
78C8E300-0EA6-470F-B945-580B3E1DE997.jpeg
I noticed that one of the tiny pins fell out that was holding one of the buttons in place. I had originally decided not to disassemble the knife more than was absolutely necessary but I decided to carefully drive out the pin on the other side as well to clean everything a bit more thoroughly than the spirits could do alone.
5E4D8AF3-C03D-4FEC-869A-772BA72768B5.jpeg
Now, I knew that the odds of the bone being the correct thickness from the manufacturer was highly unlikely. But I don’t own another knife like this and don’t know anyone who does so I stilled a YouTube video and estimated the thickness.
82502BC7-AB47-4DFF-A23F-ABE2C529962A.png
I just want to mention that if you don’t own calipers, do yourself a favor and go pick up a set. Also for a project like this you will probably want a dremel set, a portable drill press, bench sander, band saw, pliers, wet/dry sandpaper and a ball peen hammer... for when you need to hit something because your bone slab split in half while drilling a pin hole. Yes, that happened to me. Fortunately, I had that test piece of bone left.
Next comes the hours of thinning the slabs and routing the holes for the buttons and locks.
9F9D6DE2-06BB-46CE-B5C9-776A0583E8DD.jpeg
I would periodically hold the scales to the light to see my thin spots.
St. John Chapter 1
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

07CB1E1B-BC57-445A-8931-07F7C02822FC.jpeg
It is important to test fit your button and lock with the bone slab as you take material away.
B0122253-875D-4F7C-A339-EB78849F3BB1.jpeg
While test fitting one of the slabs I found the reason why one side originally split and fell off. The dimensions were slightly off from the factory; the spring and button were putting excess pressure on the scale. I notice that the curvature of the spring did not match the other.
00A86CF2-FD91-44BB-9F08-908D0CDF0ED1.jpeg
So.... i knew the odds of success going in, and for me personally bending a spring had been about 50/50... but not this day.
94796C8F-5810-4FEB-8320-C207EC4E0146.jpeg
100% fail... WHERE’S MY BALL PEEN! Obviously there must be something wrong with my head that needs fixing. So now what? Where do you go to buy a NOS spring for a 80 or 90+ year old schrade double switchblade??? To the best of my knowledge you don’t....You pull yourself together and start thinking of a solution. This popped into my head, but would it work? It had to!
DE81B2B6-7F79-45F5-B512-D865AA77DC6C.jpeg
A little dremel and hand file work and you have yourself a replacement spring! Make sure you go slow and constantly cool the metal before it gets hot.
F4D78301-7968-4C77-902B-99CBE7DF88AD.jpeg
Now I think I had originally said I would do a pick bone but I don’t think that would be an accurate jigging pattern for the particular date of this knife so I tried replicating the pattern that might fit it the best. It turned out alright but not as close as I would have liked, partially because of the thickness of the bone and me not wanting to jig as deep Incase it broke.
4F111C59-25CD-49FF-A159-FD96325FF33E.jpeg
Time to DYE!!!
1CC0EE84-D063-42E1-9170-DFB6906308F7.jpeg
All I had was a water based leather dye and by this time I was ready for this project to come to and end so I dyed it several time till it dried, wiping off what would come off in between coats. It was finally done. A good EDC that may hold up for another 80+ years.
07C57AF5-8C2A-429D-8E56-1497A7C29B4E.jpeg
St. John Chapter 1
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Wow BFORSE, beautiful work! ::tu:: ::tu:: Excellent job on the jigging, I would say, also on the spring rebuild!
Dan
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Thanks danno50!
St. John Chapter 1
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I’m digging the cat portrait, great eye!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Nice Job, looks like you do his everyday. Beautiful knife.

Harold
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Great job on the rehandle.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Thanks guys, I hope this post might be able to help someone working on this same type of project, and as far as this and any other project is concerned (including pet portraits) there’s more than one way to skin a cat. :wink:
St. John Chapter 1
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

BFORSE, an absolutely amazing job. Thanks for the pics and the walk along. That turned out wonderful and without all the tools you needed. Excellent!!! ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Great job, and some ingenious work to create a new spring. ::tu::

Now, where is the picture of the chicken house? ::sotb::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Way to keep going, and overcome all obstacles!
That is a sweet knife now!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Excellent!!! ::ds:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Wow, nice rebuild!
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Very nice! Awesome job! Your spring solution is great. Standing ovation. Beautiful job on the bone. What more could I say....wow.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:00 am Great job, and some ingenious work to create a new spring. ::tu::

Now, where is the picture of the chicken house? ::sotb::

Ken
This is what has been done so far. It still needs a few more things.
Attachments
A00C0D45-5EDC-4142-A16B-E11D87266978.jpeg
St. John Chapter 1
TPK

Post by TPK »

Wow! Knives, paintings, chicken coops. You have many talents Sir! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

TPK wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:54 pm Wow! Knives, paintings, chicken coops. You have many talents Sir! ::tu:: :D
That is kind of you to say TPK; I thank God for what He has given and what He has withheld in my life!
St. John Chapter 1

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”