Ceremonial Finnish Knife Set & A Martiini Scout Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ceremonial Finnish Knife Set & A Martiini Scout Knife

Post by KLJ77 »

So, yesterday I visited a popular Antique Auction business where I search out the knives on consignment. Six weeks ago, when I was there, this double knife set caught my eye. It was unusual (to me, anyway) and I wanted to pick it up, but the price was $150.00 for it. I didn't want to pay that much, albeit, this set was excellent to near mint. The original euro price was 300EU, which is equivalent to approx. $349.00 U.S.

Yesterday, I strolled by the case I had seen this set in...and lo & behold, the price on this set had dropped to $50.00. Yeah...I scooped this double knife set up. I knew it was something special due to the intricate work on the scabbard and the knives themselves...I just didn't know what, until I got home. I conducted a quick research and discovered this knife set is called "The Harma Knife". It's a Dutch/Finland ceremonial set which can also come with a decorative handmade belt. The knife maker's name is on the blade "Iisakki Jarvenpaa Oy" out of Kauhava, Finland. If you have an interest about this set and the maker/factory/business, you can read about it here:

https://www.iisakkijarvenpaa.fi/us/story

Here are some photos of the set:

I also picked up the Martiini Scout Knife: It is in very nice condition with some minor spots on the finger guard ring and the pommel metal piece has been filed down. ::shrug:: I don't believe it's ever been sharpened or actually used. Blade is razor sharp. Thanks for looking! Comments welcome, good, bad or ugly. ::tu::
Attachments
DSCF1922.jpg
DSCF1928.jpg
DSCF1932.jpg
DSCF1938.jpg
DSCF1946.jpg
DSCF1947.jpg
DSCF1951.jpg
DSCF1953.jpg
DSCF1955.jpg
DSCF1958.jpg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Ceremonial Finnish Knife Set & A Martiini Scout Knife

Post by deo-pa »

That double Harma knife set is a beauty and you sure got it at a great price. The company history is quite a good read. It's always interesting to read about the inevitable ups and downs of a small business that has survived for 100+ years. It's great to hear that some equipment the company acquired in the 1880s is still being used in the 21st century.

Congrats on a great purchase.

Dennis
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow! That’s a great price on a beautiful set of knives. Well done!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Great Iisakki Jarvenpaa Oy set. It is of recent manufacture. I don't understand the 'Dutch' reference. ?
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

KLJ you need to think about adding the finishing touch, the traditional belt that accompanies the knife, which is apparently available from the factory. Oh what the heck, while you're at it might as well spring for the traditional folk costume as well. In for a dime in for a dollar. :D

Dennis
Attachments
helahoito_5.jpg
Belt.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

We have this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27422
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

deo-pa wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:45 am That double Harma knife set is a beauty and you sure got it at a great price. The company history is quite a good read. It's always interesting to read about the inevitable ups and downs of a small business that has survived for 100+ years. It's great to hear that some equipment the company acquired in the 1880s is still being used in the 21st century.

Congrats on a great purchase.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis...Glad you enjoyed the story about the business. I too found it quite interesting and amazing.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:55 am Wow! That’s a great price on a beautiful set of knives. Well done!
Thanks, Colonel...they're a really nice collector's set, and I feel fortunate to have been able to pick this Harma set up for so little. Right time, right place. ::tu::
LJ

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:36 pm Great Iisakki Jarvenpaa Oy set. It is of recent manufacture. I don't understand the 'Dutch' reference. ?
Thanks, Tongueriver. Yes sir, I knew it wasn't a set from long, long past, but more recent. As to the "Dutch" reference...my bad. My geography thoughts got a bit twisted. ::dang:: I should have stated "Swedish", not Dutch. Finland is a Nordic country. Yeah, I had to look that up. :oops:
LJ

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

deo-pa wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:30 pm KLJ you need to think about adding the finishing touch, the traditional belt that accompanies the knife, which is apparently available from the factory. Oh what the heck, while you're at it might as well spring for the traditional folk costume as well. In for a dime in for a dollar. :D

Dennis
Dennis...actually, I have considered the belt. ::tu:: That would be a very nice addition to this set. The folk costume...umm, well, probably not. :D
LJ

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

KLJ77 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:40 pm
deo-pa wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:30 pm KLJ you need to think about adding the finishing touch, the traditional belt that accompanies the knife, which is apparently available from the factory. Oh what the heck, while you're at it might as well spring for the traditional folk costume as well. In for a dime in for a dollar. :D

Dennis
Dennis...actually, I have considered the belt. ::tu:: That would be a very nice addition to this set. The folk costume...umm, well, probably not. :D
I do like the hat!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm We have this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27422
Thanks for the link, tongueriver. I did search for a Martiini knife thread, but to no avail. I never even thought of a puukko thread. ::facepalm:: And, to my embarrassment ::dang:: , I also saw the "Knife finds of the day" thread after I posted my new topic. :oops: Again, my bad. I'll pay more attention to the appropriate threads for specific topics, etc.
LJ

Return to “General Knife Discussion”