A big thanks first, a little help if you can.

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Grasshopper

A big thanks first, a little help if you can.

Post by Grasshopper »

Cleaned out my gun safe and thought I'd sell these 2 knives but could sure use some info on them for description purposes. Any help would be appreciated. First up a mint Case 5347 HP SS Engraved Blue Scroll Stockman (3 Dot) Part of the 1977 Engraved Blue Scroll Set ( I got that info from this site...kudo's to whoever compiled all of that ), my issue is what kind of handle is it? Genuine Stag and India (?) Stag are 2 of the descriptions I found online on similar knives. Second up is a mint Case 6488 Large Congress ( 6 Dot ) 4 Blade with a Red Bone handle, unsure if that's what the handle is, again I found other's online that used that description. The handle's on both are what I cant figure and sure would appreciate anything the "Folks in in know" could tell me. Neither have been sharpened. If I am mistaken on anything else please school me on that too. Thanks in advance. Hope your Holiday's have been and will be great.
Attachments
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A big thanks first, a little help if you can.

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Grasshopper wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:46 pm Cleaned out my gun safe and thought I'd sell these 2 knives but could sure use some info on them for description purposes. Any help would be appreciated. First up a mint Case 5347 HP SS Engraved Blue Scroll Stockman (3 Dot) Part of the 1977 Engraved Blue Scroll Set ( I got that info from this site...kudo's to whoever compiled all of that ), my issue is what kind of handle is it? Genuine Stag and India (?) Stag are 2 of the descriptions I found online on similar knives. Second up is a mint Case 6488 Large Congress ( 6 Dot ) 4 Blade with a Red Bone handle, unsure if that's what the handle is, again I found other's online that used that description. The handle's on both are what I cant figure and sure would appreciate anything the "Folks in in know" could tell me. Neither have been sharpened. If I am mistaken on anything else please school me on that too. Thanks in advance. Hope your Holiday's have been and will be great.
You found correct information the handles, stag and bone. Hard to say if India Stag or not, I think so but you really can’t tell just from looking.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Based on the timeframe the knife was made, that’s likely Sambar stag, which comes from a deer native to the India subcontinent. So it’s a subset of “genuine stag” and “India stag” meaning any of those terms are correct.

As for the Congress pattern, I would not classify it as “Red Bone”. Looks like regular Case jigged bone to me.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
big monk

Post by big monk »

When selling Case Bone knives,most sellers refer to the Bone handle knives as ""Pretty Bone"" __ let the buyer call it red bone or whatever he likes__ good luck__ ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Thanks so much for the info Folks. I have listed the knives if anyone is interested......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153745006169
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153745004643

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”